3 Reasons to Use Adobe Photoshop Instead of Lightroom

3 Reasons to Use Adobe Photoshop Instead of Lightroom

By |2019-01-12T15:01:55+00:00Jan 8th, 2019|

Last week, I shared a video where I discussed the importance of introspection and how it can help you grow as a photographer. In that example, I compared the way the photographer I used to be edited photos in Adobe Lightroom to the way I do so today. The differences were striking and it reinforces the need to establish a habit of understanding where you came from in order to know where you want to go as a photographer.

In this video, the theme of introspection is still very much present but the practice is slightly different. For such a large part of my life as a photographer, I edited all of my photos in Adobe Lightroom. On the rare occasion, I’d send it to a 3rd party application or Adobe Photoshop. But, when I took the time to review my editing workflows, it became clear that I had reached a plateau with Lightroom, where I simply could not try anything different because of the app’s limitations. That’s when I realized it was time to invest in learning more about Adobe Photoshop and it has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

And while I know that Photoshop can be intimidating and overwhelming, know that you can approach it at your own pace. There is no timer or finish line that you have to cross. Watch this video to see what I mean and know that one of my goals for 2019 is to introduce new videos and premium courses aimed at providing a clear and easy-to-understand workflow for all of you Lightroom users looking to get your feet wet with Photoshop. Let me know in the comments if you’re interested in that!

I’d also love it if you’d click on the YouTube Subscribe button below to get notified of all my new videos. Thanks so much for all of your support!

1. shelle January 8, 2019 at 9:56 am - Reply

nice reminder of some simple but elegant tools in photoshop. thanks!

2. PF BENTLEY January 8, 2019 at 11:10 am - Reply

Brian – thanks for this video. It’s funny how age at times determines what programs people use. Being old (LOL) I grew up on Photoshop (starting on 1.0) and never had any use for Lightroom and it’s crazy ingest to catalogs thing. But in the end, software and camera gear are just tools for our artistic endeavors. After 45 years as a photographer, if we didn’t cringe at our early photographic work, that would be bad! Never stop learning. Aloha from Molokai.

3. Fred January 8, 2019 at 11:16 am - Reply

Good video. What do you think about Luminar? I find going from Lightroom to Luminar has made my photos better quicker then going to Photoshop.

4. Paul Willard January 8, 2019 at 11:18 am - Reply

Hey Brian just watched your “3 Reasons to Use Adobe Photoshop Instead of Lightroom” video. Terrific. Thanks. Been watching your tutorials since you began at On1. I’ve been an On1 early adopter (since v6 – wow) and have been using the new PhotoRaw 2019 a lot lately. I have drifted away from PS. I would be really interested (as would many I assume) to hear your “reasoning” in terms of contrasting similarities between PhotoRaw 2019 and PS CC 2019, as you did LR. I realize there are things like PS Pen Tool, Lasso, Quick Selection, Warp (On1 Transform Keystone is similar), etc. that are missing in On1. But it would be interesting to hear similarities and reasons to use PhotoRaw over PS from your unique perspective. You have done similar contrasts in the past but PhotoRaw 2019 is so much more advanced compared to those early versions. I haven’t unsubscribed from Adobe yet, however, your new video now gives me yet another reason not to use LR, and perhaps PS, and go all in with On1. Maybe overall it it is as simple as keeping several tools for various purposes. Your thoughts? – Many thanks – Paul

5. cfgattis January 8, 2019 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Great job Brian of contrasting LR and PS. I have also been disappointed in LR spot correcting ability and have always gone to PS for that tool, even if I am satisfied with what I have done with the Photo in LR. I find myself moving back and forth between post processing tools, sometimes processing a photo in each one to compare the difference both in results and ease at getting to the results I am using. It is interesting to see the differences. Generally, I am finding that my finished photo is more pleasing coming out of PS than just using LR or On1. Of course, I often may use a favorite Nik or On1 tool that gets me the results faster that struggling to get in PS alone; i.e., Nik’s sky in Define 2, or On1’s effects combination of my favorite recipe for a landscape. PS is generally better, but takes longer to get where I envision the image going. BTW, I think it is a new tool in PS 2019, but I really like the new stand alone Contact Aware Fill in Edit. Tried it on a screen shot of the image you use in the video and it was spot on first time.

6. Margret January 9, 2019 at 1:12 am - Reply

Dear Brian,
    I enjoy your videos. I have been using Lightroom 5 for several years, but still learning. I had Adobe Photoshop Elements 13, but only used the healing/removal tool. I tried using Element more, but I just could not get the advanced tools to work, hence stayed with Lightroom. I found it easier. A couple of months ago I finally subscribed to The Adobe photo package, as I wanted to start using Lightroom classic CC. This months I watched 2 of your videos where you explain the use of some Adobe Photoshop tools. You made it look easy and less scary. I definitely will start using what you have taught me. Maybe I might be able to master Photoshop after all. 😊 Thanks!

7. Rebecca Kowalsky January 9, 2019 at 3:51 am - Reply

this was really a great video and i could really relate since i always question WHY i need Photoshop. this really hit the spot. thank you Brian

8. Marshall Rubin January 9, 2019 at 8:25 am - Reply

I’ve been using PS since version 2.5. Also have LR 5 that I never use, since PS allows one to do everything. In fact, I still have no idea as to why LR exists! Your video confirms that I’ve been right all along and to not bother with LR, at all!

9. Betty Girardeau January 9, 2019 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Thanks again, Brian, for another great video. I have been using LR for about 5 years and ON1 for four years. I have had a hate/love relationship with PS, mainly because I was having to learn to do things in PS on my own and found it overwhelming. Recently, I have been doing some things in PS that I never knew about or appreciated because of some compositing courses I am taking as well as some photography contests that I wanted to enter and that demanded that I knew how to create a certain sort of look in PS. It would be nice if there were one software that would do it all the way that I like and feel comfortable doing. On1Photo Raw comes close. But I am finding that there are some nuances that I can better achieve in PS. For now, I tend to use them all depending on my needs and what look I am going for. And I still find PS a bit overwhelming, but it is getting better. Your video gave me a few more clues as to things I can do that I did not know I could do or understand how to do. Keep the videos coming. They are great.

10. sharlotte January 9, 2019 at 2:51 pm - Reply

Another great video, thank you.

11. Mike Cohen January 14, 2019 at 2:42 am - Reply

Thanks. Using transform for the horizon is something I hadn’t used before. Well done.