3 Things I Used to Do in Adobe Lightroom (But Would Never Do Today)

3 Things I Used to Do in Adobe Lightroom (But Would Never Do Today)

By |2019-01-12T15:02:07+00:00Jan 3rd, 2019|

As I made my 40th trip around the sun last September, I’ve become more keen on the idea of introspection on all aspects of my life, especially photography. I subscribe to the idea that you should never stop learning and while there are countless sources of inspiration, one that should not be ignored is your own past and experiences. I’ve found a wealth of insight simply by taking the time to patiently and objectively review my older work. The practice has yielded some helpful results and inspired me to share this video about some of the tragic ways I used to edit my photos using Adobe Lightroom. After you watch it, share whether you used to have tragic editing practices of your own that you’ve outgrown in the comments below.

I’d also love it if you’d click on the YouTube Subscribe button below to get notified of all my new videos. Thanks so much for all of your support!

1. shelle January 3, 2019 at 10:18 am - Reply

yes I loved HDR too when it first came out. It was new, looked different and was fun. Hey don’t beat yourself up too much but hats off to talking about stuff you think now looks dumb 10 years down the line. Every artist goes through what you are going through. Think Picasso and how his worked changed every few years. He got bored and everyone started working the same way etc. The tools are great but it’s your artist vision that has changed.

2. Martin January 3, 2019 at 10:18 am - Reply

Hi David

I have just done the same exercise and found that I would take down the highlights and shadows too much, use an excessive amount of clarity, vibrance and sharpening, in a global fashion. Nowadays my edits are hopefully more subtle and local rather than global. I will still use HDR but no longer process it as aggressively as 5 years ago.
    Thanks for the video- you are looking like a new man! So where is the LR Range Mask Tool , obviously not in V 7.5 CC Classic. I think that I will have to update my Macos.
    Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Martin

3. Betty Girardeau January 3, 2019 at 11:00 am - Reply

Another great video, Brian. I never have liked the over the top look of HDR as it was used by you and others, so That was not one of the things I could say that I did wrong in LR. But I am just now beginning to appreciate what the tone curve can do and what are some of the other, almost hidden, nuances are to LR. You shared that you did not appreciate or use “new tools” well either, and I must admit that they are something that I am still not using or appreciating as I should. Thanks for pointing some of them out, specifically the range mask. I did not know it even existed. And I have never used holding down the option key except when playing around with white and black clipping. Nice to see other ways to use it. Again, thanks for the videos. Happy New Year!

4. Randy January 3, 2019 at 11:25 am - Reply

Even Ansel Adams redefined his prints over time, a prime example being Moonrise Hernandez.

5. David F Vanderheyden January 3, 2019 at 12:09 pm - Reply

Brian congratulations on reaching 40! Advice from a 67 year ,old next 25 years will go much faster then the first 40 so being introspective from time to time is a good idea. My own take is not beat yourself up on what you did in the past the important thing is you continue to learn. My own philosphy is to let the photo dictate the processing and then to know when to stop

6. bjazzpark January 4, 2019 at 4:52 am - Reply

You’re so right, my weakness was over saturation and some times a little too sharp. Looking back they look ghastly now I preferring more subtle colours and a softer look. Everything in life is cyclical will I change in another 10 years who nows?

7. Dino January 5, 2019 at 3:45 am - Reply

Fantastic, thank you. I think that this video (3-things-adobe-lightroom) is very important.
    Maybe the old LIFE magazines is literature for studying before all this tools and tricks in Lightroom. :)

8. Kim Braley January 5, 2019 at 5:14 am - Reply

Guilty as charged! In fact, I still don’t really use the full range of tools available in LR (tone curve, masking) – I definitely learned something today. Thank you for sharing your growth and tips – I appreciate your openness and honesty. <3

9. sharlotte January 6, 2019 at 8:08 am - Reply

Very interesting and educational plus I enjoyed it as always. Thank you for sharing.