NNPS Episode 49 – The Professional Episode (with Nicolesy)

NNPS Episode 49 – The Professional Episode (with Nicolesy)

By |2019-01-12T14:56:04+00:00Jan 3rd, 2019|

Welcome to the first episode of 2019! I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday and are as excited for this new year as I am.

A few weeks ago, I received an email from Matt, a listener of the show, asking an interesting question that has been discussed many times by others and I thought it’d be great to cover it here. Thankfully, I’m joined by a wonderful photography who also happens to pull double-duty as my wife! Please welcome the one and only Nicole S. Young (aka Nicolesy).

Matt allowed me to share portions of his email and the one that is most appropriate for the show notes is the following:

First, I love the No Name Photo Show, thank you for the time you take to create the content. This is in reference to the most recent episode of No Name and the question of what makes a professional photographer, a professional. My question is, in reference to your professional photographer question, is it only those that do it as their own business that are the professionals or would someone like me fall into it as well? If not, then how and or when would I get to that point?

The second half of the show is all about Flickr and why both Nicole and I are so excited to see what SmugMug will do to grow it in 2019. It’s a great episode and I hope you enjoy it!

Show Notes

1. Kevin Blackburn January 3, 2019 at 10:17 am - Reply

Hey in response to EP 49 I have always seen it in a much more straightforward way. It has zero to do with money. It is about conducting oneself as a professional. Regardless of where the paycheck comes from. So as a Working Professional Photographer for going on 20 years (since I was on Active Duty, to be honest, and I freelanced.) I am a professional because of the way I conduct myself, and I hope to be treated accordingly for me as important as money is to pay the bills it does not enter into being a professional. I could go on for hours but here is one last side note from something Nicole Said. So what do you call your self or when do you call your self X. I grew up in a traditional southern Methodist church-going family and back when I was a kid living in rural Virginia. Our preacher worked for the school system as a teacher. ( I do not recall what he taught ) But I do remember him answering a question one day. He was merely asked so what do you do? His answer was interesting, and the lesson has stuck with me for 30 years. I am a preacher he said, and that was that. Fact is he made little to no income from the church, but He identified himself as a preacher, Not a school teacher, etc. So I think it is a matter of two essential things. 1 A case of conduct 2 How you feel and identify yourself in your position. Sorry to be long-winded. and I hope this all made sense . :-)

2. Oliver January 6, 2019 at 12:51 pm - Reply

I like your show and it was interesting to listen to your topic about professional photographers. I am also a Flickr user since 2010 and have ben once ‘Explored’ in 18 years of using Flickr with one of my photos. If you look at the Explore page and many people say similar things and that is, you need to have a photo of a barely dressed young lady or a kitten in your photo and you get Explored. My photo was of a crocodile by the way, so the photo must have been okay to be Explored. What I am trying to say is, I hope SmugMug is changing the way Explore is working, like you or Nicolesy said the way 500px is working. I would like to see a range of photos in high quality or interesting execution and not the ‘page 3’ type of photos.

3. Jeff Brentlinger January 7, 2019 at 7:05 am - Reply

Ok… You got me to get back active Flickr — J Brentlinger Photos — again (and Brain I got two accounts as well).

4. norm hanson January 7, 2019 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Hi Brian and Nicole, I totally agree with Nicole about community on flickr, it was and largely still is what social media should be about. However I have chosen to stay a free member as I’m an old bloke and retired, so even US$50/year (but approx AUD$84 here in OZ) and particularly as it is an ongoing commitment an a discretionary cashflow I might prefer to spend otherwise (eg a photobook of my grandkids or lastest trip, or maybe two books if I use the discounts on snapfish right). Unfortunately at the moment that US$50/year does nothing for groups and the sharing community of flickr, I can wear the upload restrictions and ads. Such is life.

I have also been surprise by changes in explore. specifically my two most recent explore inclusions where pretty mundane photos and I was surprised (ok they were both telling a story). I suspect it is the “interestingness” algorithm having been over tweaked to counter those few people how where “gaming” the system. Perhaps a second editors favourites section as well to provide a curated view would be a good start. The flickr blog does a reasonable job already though.

Regards Norm Hanson my flickr account is imageo

5. Daniel Lee January 8, 2019 at 3:57 pm - Reply

Another great episode!

I’ve been using Flickr since 2011 when I first started and it’s still the main place I upload my images to. It would be great if you do start the No Name Photo show and you could even do weekly themes for us to shoot. Please share a link once you set it up.

I agree about not caring you have Instagram or not. I think it would be interesting to see a lot of the images from IG on Flickr as they are so compressed.

6. Dante Fratto January 8, 2019 at 6:32 pm - Reply

I’ve really enjoy the podcast. Keep up the great work. I started with Flickr in 2010. I’ve used it off and on over the years. I signed back up for the pro account with the recent changes. It’s cheap price to pay for online storage. I have been trying to clean it up as of late. I look through my older images and have know idea what I was thinking at the time. I hope SmugMug brings it back to life.

7. Barry Marks January 9, 2019 at 8:37 am - Reply

The big question is will we ever hear the tupples again.

• Jessica R Leffelman January 13, 2019 at 1:01 pm - Reply

I’d like to know that answer too! I miss the tupples! :D

8. Carolyn Hutchins January 11, 2019 at 12:31 pm - Reply

I’m a bit late to the party, but here’s my Flickr anyway

9. Gregory Lawrence January 12, 2019 at 10:20 pm - Reply

Eight years ago my time, effort and wherewithal were invested to create an in-home photographic studio, beginning with personal projects. It quickly became evident that in my specific photographic genre, the amount of compensation for work and cost involved would not be afforded by most clients. My retirement is secure, there is no interest in a business, and my skills and knowledge are a good match. In order to benefit the local communities, my custom studio provides pro bono, high resolution, digital imagery of artworks and objects for artisans, collectors, museums and historical societies who are non-profit and cannot afford professional photography.

Compensation is the education and experience gained, and access to a wide variety of work that comes to my studio because the work is done pro bono in my spare time. The ultimate benefit is the appreciation received from my small group of clients and the local communities. Projects often provide the impetus to do research, testing, and/or upgrade my studio due to the custom setups required. All work is “best effort”, meaning that even the most challenging projects can be attempted.

My studio has professional photographic, scanning, computer equipment, and software, and a number of custom apparatuses designed and built by me in my shop. Most apparatuses are multi-functional, can be modified, and occasionally creatively used in combination when there are new demands. Often projects are long term involving months and hundreds of hours. Work ranges from near micro objects to large, for example a full size quilt photographed as a matrix panorama. With a 50 MP DSLR, a 16 x 24 inch native size 360 dpi reproduction, life size or larger, can be made of a composed image of a small object. Larger objects are photographed as panoramas to assure that at least a life size reproduction can be made if necessary. Focus stacking is frequently used in 3 dimensional work. Color calibration employing targets and software are used throughout the workflow. All imagery is carefully post-processed and artifacts retouched in Photoshop, since my studio specializes in digital restoration.

Clients are given high resolution, master JPG image files, and low resolution JPG image files sized for digital projection, both of which suffice for nearly all usages. On request, full resolution master Photoshop .psd or TIFF files can be provided to commercial printers for high quality reproduction. Only in special situations are hard copy prints provided. There is a limit to what can be provided pro bono in a one man shop. My terms are that the imagery can be used in my portfolio and be publicly displayed appropriately with attribution; however, the imagery cannot be sold by me. When appropriate, clients are requested to attribute displayed imagery to me.

My background is a photographic enthusiast for 59 years, 4 years as a photojournalist, trained camera repairman, and a 31+ year career with Eastman Kodak, specializing in in-depth technical support of micrographics (microfilm) and high volume document scanning equipment installed worldwide. My studio work is often quite technical and exacting, but still uses the creativity and skills required in any studio environment.

As to being professional. It isn’t defined with money. It is about the professionalism required to be successful in every aspect of your work. Knowing your clients and their needs. Knowing your knowledge, skills and tools. Knowing that you are fiscally responsible. Knowing the subject of your imagery. Knowing that the product delivered to the customer will meet or exceed their expectations. Knowing that you can display your imagery to anyone without apology. Knowing that you have to continue to learn more about your craft. Knowing that in the end you are satisfied. The work is challenging. In reality you may not meet or be consistent in achieving all of your goals, but at least you can stand behind your best effort, and be honest with a client when there are shortcomings. My studio deliberately does not have a website, nor is work solicited. My select group of clients keep me very busy.

10. David Swinney January 13, 2019 at 11:19 am - Reply

Finally finished listening to the episode this morning. Thanks for the invite to share my Flickr address.

Here you go:

11. Jessica R Leffelman January 13, 2019 at 1:03 pm - Reply

Fantastic episode as usual, Brian! Enjoyed hearing Nicole on there! I have joined up with the Flickr group. I have two accounts myself, but starting to pare down the original (which held everything pretty much) and build up the second, which has my more serious work. It’s https://www.flickr.com/photos/addison102/