First Look: ON1 Photo RAW 2019

By |2018-11-04T17:51:26+00:00Nov 5th, 2018|

A few weeks ago, my friends at ON1 lifted the curtain on their newest product update, Photo RAW 2019! I’ve been using ON1 products for over a decade—and have even worked there for three years—so it has been very interesting to see the culmination of so much effort begin to reach fruition. You may not know this but over the past few years, the engineers at ON1 have been rewriting the entire code base for Photo RAW and v2019 is looking like things are seriously hitting their stride.

I was fortunate to get a copy of the private beta for Photo RAW 2019, limited to ON1 Plus members, and want to share my impressions and favorite new features coming with this update. I’d go so far as to say that this should be a “Must Upgrade” for existing ON1 customers and if you’re new to the club, I highly recommend grabbing a copy. It’s seriously worth it.

UPGRADE TO ON1 PHOTO RAW 2019 – $79.99

For Existing Customers

NEW TO ON1? GET PHOTO RAW 2019 – $99.99

For New Customers

1. Eric Anderson November 5, 2018 at 10:20 am - Reply

The integration of the modules is something I’ve wanted from the start. Nice

• Brian Matiash November 5, 2018 at 10:22 am - Reply

Completely agreed. And the way it was implements is fantastic. You’re gonna love it!

2. Craig Oakley November 5, 2018 at 10:27 am - Reply

Well done, Brian….as usual! Your presentation style and delivery is, for me, well paced, wonderfully informative, concise and very easy to listen to & watch.

• Brian Matiash November 5, 2018 at 10:31 am - Reply

That means the world to me, Craig! Thanks so much for those kind words!

3. Cary Wolfson November 5, 2018 at 11:13 am - Reply

Good demo, Brian. I, too, have used ON1 through many iterations. Most recently, though, I’ve found that I can easily get over 90% of what I want done with a combination of Lightroom and Luminar (at a considerably lower price point). That said, I’m glad to see that they reworked the UI. I really disliked it when they went to those modules; I thought it complicated things needlessly. Focus stacking is not a big deal for me, but ease of use definitely is. I will probably check it out when it becomes available.

4. Guy Whiteley November 5, 2018 at 11:25 am - Reply

Very nicely done presentation. Pace and highlights you chose were spot on.

5. Marcello November 5, 2018 at 2:25 pm - Reply

Hi Brian! Awesome presentation, congrats!
    I am a long term user of Lightroom. I bought On1 Photo 10, then PerfectPhoto Suite and finally PhotoRaw 2017.
    I must say that I was a bit disappointed with PhotoRaw 2017, as I found it quite non-intuitive and complex to use, and there are some Lightroom features that I really enjoy that I didn’t find at PhotoRaw, as adjustments history, save snapshots, virtual copies, easiness of handling collections, and the map, for instance.
    As per your video, I saw that the interface evolved a lot, and it seems much more friendly and easy to use.
    Can you tell something about the other features that I mentioned, whether some of them will be available on the new release?
    Thanks a lot!

6. Ted Simard November 5, 2018 at 7:03 pm - Reply

Hi Brian, thaks for a very enlightening video. I am always skeptical of regular software updates but you have convinced me that this is one I should make when it is finally released. I like the new layout as the previous versions made us jump around to different modules which I found confusing.

7. Jim Larson November 5, 2018 at 10:29 pm - Reply

Nice overview of some of the awesome new features, Brian. Whenever I watch photographers who know their software (that would be you), I learn so much. Several times I had to rewind a few seconds because I saw something cool that I’d never seen before.
    Keep up the great work!

8. Maureen Ravnik November 12, 2018 at 9:59 am - Reply

Nicely simplified approach on this video, Brian! So many go way too fast at times. I am really excited about the new changes and looking forward to using them. Awesome!