Creative Styles: A Very Underrated Camera Feature

By |2018-10-28T19:06:39+00:00Oct 28th, 2018|

Most modern digital cameras, whether dSLR or mirrorless, can have expansive menus and features. As such, it’s completely understandable if some go overlooked or unnoticed. However, there is one feature that I think deserves highlighting. Depending on which manufacturer makes your camera, the feature name may vary and since I’m a Sony shooter, I’ll refer to what they call it: Creative Styles. I am a firm believer that Creative Styles, or whatever your camera manufacturer’s equivalent is, are highly underrated and should be considered on your shoot. Still unconvinced? Check out this video and let me know what you think in the comments below.

I’d also love it if you’d click on the YouTube Subscribe button below to get notified of all my new videos. Thanks so much for all of your support!

1. Ken October 29, 2018 at 10:00 am - Reply

I often use Black and White Creative style to help me visualize the both tonality and balance of the light and dark areas of the scene

2. Michael Sill October 29, 2018 at 10:12 am - Reply

I stumbled (literally) onto creative styles by accident and have been using them on both the RII and now the RIII. I completely agree that they bring out more of what I “feel” in a shot. I’m a big fan of them. Thanks for the video telling me i’m in good company.

3. Mark Sweeney October 29, 2018 at 1:26 pm - Reply

I have never used them as I have always shot just RAW. Now, I will begin exploring this feature on my Sony and Nikon cameras. Thanks for providing some creative insight.

4. Peter Scrimshaw October 29, 2018 at 3:05 pm - Reply

Hey Brian, this is a great insight, which I will definitely look at using – I was aware of Picture Styles (Canon) but generally just ignored them, as I shoot in Raw! But of course seeing photos at the time with a bit of a boost could be very helpful – I definitely like your “strap line” here: inspiration drives inspiration, totally get that! :-)

5. kennuk2 October 29, 2018 at 4:14 pm - Reply

Thanks for the video. Is it possible to add the profile to the Raw file in post processing?

6. Steve Stav October 29, 2018 at 6:00 pm - Reply

There is one potential downside to using Picture Styles. When shooting RAW, the playback histogram is generated from the RAW preview, which is affected by the picture style. I have found that boosting the contrast in the picture style will sometimes give a FALSE indication of clipping in the histogram…

7. Patt October 29, 2018 at 8:03 pm - Reply

I have just finished un-boxing my new T-X2.. thanks so much for helping to fill in one piece of this wonderful but complex new puzzle!

8. Ulrich Tutsch October 29, 2018 at 8:59 pm - Reply

Brian, I have a Sony A77 and a Sony A7R2, but I never turned on the Creative style as I shoot in Raw only. I’ll try it and see how it will play out with my work flow. The apple orchards here in Yakima are just a riot of colors but fast fading.

9. David Ireland October 30, 2018 at 6:23 am - Reply

Hi Brian, I have been using on my canon 7D Cloudy in picture styles for a number of years now and find it suits my photography as it tends to warm up my images, a bit like adding a warming filter to old fashioned film. Thank you for your videos.

10. Linda Green October 30, 2018 at 10:06 am - Reply

I just tried this out and was amazed! I tried “autumn” since we’re in the season…beautiful! Thanx for the insight Brian.

11. Sheila Reeves November 2, 2018 at 1:54 pm - Reply

I am looking forward to trying out creative styles. I am hoping they will give me a better idea of the potential of my images.

12. Rebecca Kowalsky November 3, 2018 at 11:47 am - Reply

Brian – i think this is a great idea – i usually use vivid or some black and white style

13. Skip Tribby November 8, 2018 at 7:01 pm - Reply

I have used them on my Canon cameras. However, until I watched your video I didn’t realize that these settings weren’t applied to RAW files. I could never figure out why my photos looked so different when viewing them on the LDC screen on my camera and when I loaded the RAW files into Lightroom. I and going to start shooting RAW + JPEG. Thanks to the tip!

14. Dianne Morgan November 8, 2018 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Thanks, Brian. I have a Fuji camera and can’t wait to try this!