Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach, Oregon

Adobe Lightroom Tutorial: Creative Profiles & Color Range Masking

By |2018-08-25T12:02:50+00:00Aug 13th, 2018|

It’s time for a new Adobe Lightroom tutorial! If I asked you, “What time of day would you most prefer to shoot at?”, I bet I’d know your answer. Odds are, you’d either say, “Sunrise!” or “Sunset!” The truth is that the best time of day to shoot is any time of day! I know, I know. Shooting in the middle of the day when the sun is at its highest won’t always yield the best results. But, I’d rather be out there with my camera, growing my skills and gathering new photos than sitting at home any day. So, when I recently had the opportunity to drive out to the Oregon coast for some midday shooting, I jumped at it. Sure, the light was harsh and there weren’t many clouds in the sky. But, I still gave myself the chance to create some new work and by utilizing the tools at my disposal, specifically my ND filter, I walked away from some shots that I am really happy with! So, I put together this video walking you through how I use some key Adobe Lightroom features—Creative Profiles and Color Range Masking—to add some punch to photos taken during harsh lighting conditions.

While you’re at it, I’d love it if you’d click on the YouTube Subscribe button below to get notified of all my new videos. Thanks so much for all of your support!

Nature Tones Profile #5

Before
After

Free Download – Nature Tones Profile Pack

Download Now

1. Ulrich Tutsch August 14, 2018 at 11:55 am - Reply

Great tutorial, Brian. I had some misgivings shooting at high noon because of the harshness of the shadows. How do you compensate for this? You showed a great way how to compensate for this with adjustments to the colors. I like it very much. By the way, welcome back to the magnificent PNW.

• Brian Matiash August 16, 2018 at 1:34 pm - Reply

Thanks for writing in, Ulrich. In most cases, you won’t be able to avoid the harsh shadows of mid-day shooting. So, I say, “embrace them”! One thing I like to experiment with when editing photos taken during the middle of the day is to apply a black and white treatment. I find that B&W is a great way to work around the super contrasty look of afternoon light.

2. Stephen Stevenson August 14, 2018 at 12:49 pm - Reply

Great video Brian! So glad to see you “back in the saddle again”. :-))

• Brian Matiash August 16, 2018 at 1:35 pm - Reply

Thank you, Stephen! It feels great to be back at it again!

3. Ed Adams August 14, 2018 at 4:52 pm - Reply

Brian, thanks for the video. A couple of questions – first on the video on my calibrated iMac there was a definite green cast to the right side of the image. Was that correct? Also I’d love the same video but using On1 Raw as it is my primary pp software.

• Brian Matiash August 16, 2018 at 1:37 pm - Reply

Hey Ed, there is definitely a touch of green that was introduced as part of the Creative Profile that I applied. Some of it is visible after I applied the color range mask for the warming graduated filter in LR. Definitely nothing wrong with your iMac display. While I don’t think I’d repeat the same video in ON1, I already have some tutorials covering similar workflows in ON1 on the books, so stay tuned!

4. Greg Scott August 14, 2018 at 7:30 pm - Reply

I have also found shooting in harsh light resulting in lower contrast can respond well to a level adjustment. When the histogram doesn’t go to either edge, there is strong potential for image improvement with this basic tool. I have found it especially effective in desert shooting at any time of the day.