We’re thrilled to welcome our next guest to the show. If you’ve ever had your jaw hit the ground after seeing some particularly stunning macro photos of snowflakes, odds are they were taken by Don Komarechka. Don is the consummate photographer, equally passionate about the art of photography as much as the science behind it. And, Don is the perfect person to join us as we discuss the topic of niches and what role they play in developing your brand. Don lends some very keen insight here, given his extensive knowledge of the topic.
Next, we segue to a murkier conversation about the perils of sharing your photos on social media. What counts as “Fair Use” these days and is it possible to unwittingly find yourself in trouble by sharing someone else’s photo. It’s a great conversation and we think you’re going to love it. And just in case all of that wasn’t enough, we’ve also got a fresh batch of “What’s on Your Gear Shelf?” to tide you over until suppertime.
- Let’s start by welcoming our guest, the wonderful Don Komarechka. You can also subscribe to his wonderful podcast, Photo Geek Weekly. And be sure to check out the episodes where Brian and Sharky were Don’s “co-pilots”.
- We discuss the evolution of how most photographers start out as generalists and eventually settle into gaining a deeper understanding of the area(s) they are most passionate about
- Nieman Labs brings up an important court case that will determine whether embedding someone else’s photo on your website could be a copyright violation. [via Nieman Lab]
- Zack Arias interviews Unsplash CEO, Mikael Cho, to discuss the very real dangers that the photo-sharing site is creating [via Dedpxl]
- The background of this cover photo is shared by Don in the episode. We thought it’d be delightfully ironic to share it without any credit. 😜
What’s On Your Gear Shelf?
Don: Formvar Solution [via Amazon]
Sharky: Rosco Lux Swatchbook [via Amazon]
Brian: Luxebell C400 Aluminum Skeleton for GoPro Hero 5/6 [via Amazon]