We take the requests of our wonderful audience very seriously, so when you ask for a specific guest host to join us, we deliver. That’s just how we roll.
— Mike Martin (@MikeMMartin) November 1, 2017
And so, Episode 012 finds us with our second guest host: the incomparable Nicole S. Young (aka Nicolesy)! In this episode, we tackle a topic that cuts close to the bone with today’s state of photography and social media. Can there be too many gorgeous photos out there? If so, what does one need to do to stand apart from the crowd? It’s a serious topic and one that we’re thrilled to have Nicole weigh in on. The next topic comes hot on the heels of the 2017 PhotoPlus Expo in New York City. Both Nicole and I were in attendance and Sharky raised the question as to whether it pays (literally and figuratively) for photographers to invest in attending a photo expo. All that plus a triple dose of “What’s On Your Gear Shelf?” rounds out the episode.
- Nicole found a great article thoughtfully discussing the commoditization of stunning photography on social media. It’s a great read and worth serious consideration [via The Field]
- Sharky brings up photo trends that had their 15 minutes of fame and then fizzled out, like spinning steel wool. Brian shares his first and only experience photographing this in San Francisco:
- Nicole and Brian share their experiences attending the PDN PhotoPlus Expo in New York City
- Sharky questions the need for a photographer to attend an expo as opposed to spending the money on gear
- Nicole recommends taking the money normally spent to attend an expo and spend it on a workshop with a photographer that you greatly admire
- All three hosts unanimously agree that they’d love to attend Martin Bailey’s Japan Snow Monkeys workshop [via Martin Bailey Workshops]
What’s On Your Gear Shelf?
Nicole: Bumblejax Acrylic Block Prints [via Nicolesy.com]
Sharky: Step Up Ring Set [via Amazon]
Brian: Dual Battery Chargers [via Amazon]