How I’ve Changed The Way I Edit My Photos [Photo Redux 001]

By |2018-01-28T15:35:52+00:00Nov 7th, 2017|

I’m excited to kick off a new video series called Photo Redux. The premise is straightforward: I dig deep into my photo archive, looking for photos that illustrate the sort of photographer I was back then and how I have changed in terms of post-processing and stylization using tools like Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, as well as other tools. Each episode will bring about some new tips and tricks, too. So check out the video and let me know what you think in the comments section.

While you’re at it, I’d love it if you’d click on the YouTube Subscribe button below to get notified of all my new videos. Thanks so much for all of your support!

2009 vs. 2017

2009
2017

INBOX INSPIRATION BONUS DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD NOW

1. Bill Caskey November 7, 2017 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Brian,
    Love this video and am looking forward to more of the same. I’ve often had the same idea, that is, to re-edit some of my old images while applying some of the newer techniques. Great idea. This is the first of this type of instruction that I have seen and should prove to be significant in improving some older images. Good stuff.
    Bill

• Brian Matiash November 9, 2017 at 10:56 am - Reply

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed the video, Bill! I’ve got plenty of images in the hopper so this series isn’t going anywhere.

• Margret Schuller November 11, 2017 at 5:42 pm - Reply

I agree

• Margret Schuller November 11, 2017 at 5:45 pm - Reply

Oppp, I was going to say that I fully agree with the comments below. I am still a novice and I learned a lot just in watching this one video. Thanks Bill, and I am looking forward to the next once.

2. scorpio4341 November 8, 2017 at 10:30 am - Reply

It is great to see how you edit a photo. Great idea to revisit ‘old’ photos. It is also great to see your office setup. I like that you have a stand up desk and you use a Wacom tablet. Maybe you could do a video on how YOU use the Wacom with editing your photos. Love this series. Keep it up.

• Brian Matiash November 9, 2017 at 10:57 am - Reply

Thanks much! I like the idea of doing a video on my editing workflow using my Wacom tablet. I’m going to noodle on the way I approach it. Stay tuned!

3. zpuskas130 November 9, 2017 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Brian, thanks for the video tutorial. This is a wonderful idea and I’ll start my own re “view”. Agreed, our vision changes as we move forward in our creative processes.

4. guillermo giannini November 9, 2017 at 1:39 pm - Reply

great to see this video. Sure we are changing through the time. Thank you

5. Bruce K Blaylock November 9, 2017 at 3:19 pm - Reply

Brian, I love the idea for the series and look forward to seeing more. I have watched the “vintage” movement come about over the last couple of years. It’s not my taste on most photos, but I can appreciate the processing skills required to get to that look. What I like about your material (and courses) is the ancillary things I learn. I always learn something new watching you process an image no matter what the topic or primary focus of the instruction is. That occurs only because you take the time to go step-by-step in a methodical, well articulated manner. I hope this part of your photography education does NOT evolve to something very different because I really enjoy it and learn so much.

6. Betty Girardeau November 9, 2017 at 3:23 pm - Reply

OMG. I learned so much about little tweaks in LR that I did not know I could do. Thank you! And what an interesting approach to sharing and learning.

7. Peter November 9, 2017 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Hope you have the huff & puff to keep this going.
    A like from me

8. Ulrich Tutsch November 9, 2017 at 6:53 pm - Reply

Brian, this was a very interesting video. I saw a lot of cool features, and I have to rerun it several times to glean the nuggets I think are important to my work flow. Keep up the good work!

9. Tony D November 10, 2017 at 6:12 am - Reply

Fascinating to see the differences between your aesthetics in 2009 & now – thanks for sharing!

10. Hank November 11, 2017 at 4:49 am - Reply

Hey Brian!

ALWAYS ALWAYS liked your stories and how your thought process “evolved” from takng the picture to postprocessing… And now, you’re taking your journey a step further by revisiting what you did and looking at “better”..or, at least, “different”…

Keep up these videos. I find myself in this conundrum of having to bracket everything and exxposing everything “properly” to standards set by the norm of today… I would also like to “revisit” some of my wrok. But, as a “show-me-state” guy, I need more examples and stories to copy to MY shots…

Miss seeing you, talking to you (when you were with ON1 and at the Javitz).. Being in central PA makes it VERY difficult to ever go back to NYC for PhotoPlus…

Wish we could connect again… things got better after heart surgery in April… Want to get more delved into this stuff…

Keep it up…

11. Karen H November 18, 2017 at 9:54 am - Reply

Brian, I just learned SO much! I will re-watch this video and look forward to more.

12. dk November 28, 2017 at 10:34 pm - Reply

Enjoyed this video. I’ve been doing this with several of my images over the last few months. Interesting to see where we’ve been and who we’ve become. And no need to apologize for either. I look forward to more videos in the future. Great job!