Why You Need To Take A Serious Look At ON1 Photo Raw

By |2017-09-29T09:15:23+00:00Sep 26th, 2017|

I’m always going to be on the side of the company that is working on innovating itself—Whether it’s boosting the performance of editing tools, reimagining how to manage a photo library, or adding utilities that may exist elsewhere into the fold. That’s why I’m excited about what ON1 and what they’re doing with Photo Raw. Recently, the company launched a sneak peak portal called ON1 Photo Raw Exposed, providing a glimpse at some of the new technologies we can expect in the upcoming update to the product suite and I’m very excited. Here’s the thing. It’s not that ON1 is the first to build in HDR or Pano support and they’re not the only game in town with versioning control. But, they have been feverishly listening to their customers, allowing them to weigh in on the most important features to build in future releases. That sort of democratic process is a breath of fresh air, especially when compared to products like Adobe Lightroom, which have slagged on at a snail’s pace when you talk about performance.

So, I want to spread some love to my friends at ON1 by sharing this post. Check out the videos below to get a taste of what’s coming and click here to learn even more. And be sure to leave your questions in the comments section below!

NEW HDR Tone Mapping

NEW Pano Stitching

NEW Masking Tools (Chisel and Blur)

NEW Redesigned User Interface

NEW Versions Feature

NEW Paint with The Color Brush

1. Brian Burt September 26, 2017 at 7:47 am - Reply

Is this a free update, or are they expecting us to pay for a new version (Beta like the last one I paid for) when the last paid for update is still not working correctly?

• Brian Matiash September 28, 2017 at 8:34 am - Reply

If I had to guess, I’d say that this will be a paid upgrade. However, there is a lot of wood behind this arrow. Some significant upgrades and improvements are in the oven.

2. Norma September 26, 2017 at 8:01 am - Reply

Just hope it works correctly. We’ll see.

• Brian Matiash September 28, 2017 at 8:34 am - Reply

Indeed! If there’s a beta, that’ll be the time to check things out.

3. Zoltan September 26, 2017 at 10:11 am - Reply

Lots of great new features that look useful. I hope the upgrade is not too expensive. I hope it’s faster; my current version seems to drag sometimes.

• Brian Matiash September 28, 2017 at 8:35 am - Reply

Hmmmm… what machine are you running the software on?

4. Jim Welsh September 26, 2017 at 10:39 am - Reply

I hope that the new version doesn’t drag as the current one does on my 2017 iMac. Current one takes one to two or three minutes to open and another 3 minutes to close. My iMac has 40GB ram and On 1Raw still takes forever!

• Brian Matiash September 28, 2017 at 8:36 am - Reply

Really?!?! I have the same 2017 27″ iMac with 64gb of RAM. ON1 Photo Raw flies on my machine… no joke. If you’re up for it, I’d consider doing a complete wipe of the computer now that High Sierra is out. Perhaps starting fresh will give you a better baseline. Let me know if you go that route.

5. PhotoKaz September 26, 2017 at 2:45 pm - Reply

What is innovative here? They are still playing catch up with Adobe. I see no reason to ditch Lightroom for this.

• Brian Matiash September 28, 2017 at 8:38 am - Reply

I don’t necessarily bind a company’s innovations to what other companies have done or are doing. ON1 offers an alternative to Adobe and with their upcoming release, they’re adding even more useful tools for their users at, arguably, a more aggressive rate than other companies. Sure, ON1 is closing a gap and that’s a good thing. But, it’s more than just checking items off a list.

6. Dave Claiborne September 27, 2017 at 10:59 am - Reply

Looking forward to some of the new On1 Raw enheancements. The competition between photo editing options will make everyone’s products better, and that includes pricing.

7. Paul C September 28, 2017 at 2:08 pm - Reply

I’ve been with LR before version 2 and On1 from the launch of On1-6. I love the way each offers me different things with a good chunk of overlap in the middle. I’ve pre-ordered every On1 version and enjoyed the new features of each – I will continue to run both because they are very different horses; however I realised the other day that apart from adding text I rarely power up Photoshop these days – all my layered work is in On1 and it does a great job. LR wins the organization war, but On1 eraser completely surpasses anything in LR… those are just 2 individualities – I have no intentions of running with one OR the other, I need AND, though maybe one day I’ll find that one of them has not been powered up for months. LR is due a major update soon – I hope they get their import & previewing nearer to On1’s blistering pace.

8. David October 7, 2017 at 5:19 am - Reply

For who is subscribed to the plus service the upgrade is free, althought the plus service isn’t that cheap (about like the Adobe cc photographers plan)