You Need To See The Zeiss Milvus 2.8/15 In Action

By | 2017-07-27T15:23:35+00:00 Jul 27th, 2017|

I’ve been working on a new series with my wonderful partners at Zeiss (Disclosure: I am a Zeiss Lens Ambassador). The goal is to highlight the advantages of using prime lenses, specifically the outstanding Milvus line. I’ll be taking a deep dive with four Milvus lenses over the next few months, showcasing what they can do in a variety of environments. The first entry in our Milvus series was published on the Zeiss Lenspire blog a few days ago. Click here to read it and be sure to leave a comment below with what your favorite prime (or zoom) lens is.

Order at B&H Photo: Canon EF | Nikon F

1. Steve F August 2, 2017 at 7:57 pm - Reply

The Batis 18mm 2.8 is my favourite lens (I also use an A7RII). Wish Zeiss would make a FFL telephoto, .. not much available for the A7 line at the moment

• Brian Matiash August 14, 2017 at 10:14 am - Reply

I’m with you. I absolutely love my Batis 2.8/18 although I would be lying if I said that I didn’t wish for a wider focal length. Maybe a 12mm or a 14mm – so long as it supported either front and rear filters.

As for as FFL telephotos, the Batis 135mm is getting there. At some point, those lenses begin getting unwieldy but they’re usually worth it. :)

• Steve Forbes August 14, 2017 at 7:04 pm - Reply

Thanks for your reply Brian. I’ve got the SEL1535Z and also a Voigtlander Heliar Hyperwide 10mm, so I’d find it hard to justify another wide lens ;) The other lens I forgot to mention that I also use a lot is the Sony 28mm F2, surprisingly good for the price! Cheers

2. Jack August 14, 2017 at 9:56 am - Reply

Can you tell me how the Milvus lenses compare to similar focal length (not necessarily exact) Batis lenses on the Sony A7RII?

• Brian Matiash August 14, 2017 at 10:17 am - Reply

I’m not gonna lie – the construction and handling of the Milvus lenses are fantastic but given that I already own my Basis lenses, I can genuinely say that I don’t feel compelled to sell them off. The Milvus lenses produce striking imagery but they are notably heavier than their Batis cousins and you need to use an adapter with your Sony a7R II…. and you lose AF. Stick with Batis.

• Jack August 14, 2017 at 1:59 pm - Reply

Thanks for your answer, Brian. My major concern is sharpness and contrast. The Sony will be a backup to my PhaseOne system, especially where high ISO is needed.