Travel much? Encrypt your drives!

By | 2016-11-12T14:56:44+00:00 Feb 16th, 2016|

I learned a valuable lesson about travel and data encryption when I arrived back home after my trip to Cuba. As a result, I put together this video that walks you through the very easy process of encrypting your travel drives and computer. In the event of a theft, as was the case with me, you can have peace of mind knowing that—while your hardware may be gone—the data on it is protected.

1. Bud Simpson February 16, 2016 at 12:09 pm - Reply

Excellent advice, well presented. We’re getting ready to go full-time RV, and I was thinking about ways to secure drives should they sprout legs and walk away. This took the mystery out of the process. Thanks!

2. Dean Huschle February 24, 2016 at 8:46 am - Reply

I enjoyed this informative video. What are your thoughts on Cloud based backups of you photos in addition to the hard copies. If you do use the cloud, do you have a recommendation on any backup services?

• Mike February 24, 2016 at 12:01 pm - Reply

At least one of your backups should be off-site. Cloud is a great solution, I use Backblaze but Crashplan is good too and both are comparable in price.

3. Prodigital Pro February 24, 2016 at 12:37 pm - Reply

One question, what if the encrypted drive crashes, can the data be recovered? I currently will connect a trashed drive as a slave to my pc system and pull the old data off and xfer to another drive.

4. Kim Braley February 24, 2016 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Thank you, Brian….great advice. I will make sure to encrypt my devices before my next trip.

5. Mr K February 26, 2016 at 5:36 pm - Reply

What happens if they guess your password? Is it no better to just have a strong password without data encryption? I have Windows drives passworded & only a Mac one that is encrypted & that’s only because it ask to encrypt it when I first plugged it in.

6. Ricky Kingston June 12, 2017 at 9:11 am - Reply

Great video! Since I found this software: http://www.winzip.com/win/en/learn/data-encryption.html I feel much safer. I encrypt all important data easily