The Approach of Autumn

By | 2015-09-13T10:07:48+00:00 Sep 13th, 2015|

It’s no secret that I’m officially done with the summer and have been for a few months now. One of the biggest reasons why I moved to the Pacific Northwest was to become enveloped by the cool temps, refreshing rains, and dry air. Thus far, the summer has been a crazy one. I think Portland broke its own record for 90+ degree days in a single season. Last year’s mild winter coupled with the intense summer has left me with very little shooting time in the Gorge and surrounding areas. My visits to certain staples were fruitless, as creek beds ran dry and waterfalls were barely recognizable with their weak flow. No, summer is not my favorite season.

BrianMatiash_20140201-DSC01725-Pano_ILCE-7

Fortunately, if the weather forecasts are worth a damn, my beloved autumn season will soon meander its way into the region and with it will come cool weather and the rains that will bring back the lush and verdant colors that the region is famous for. The anticipation was great enough that it resulted in me revisiting older photos from the area. This is just a small taste of what’s to come. Now bring on the rain!

1. jeffp3456 September 13, 2015 at 10:51 am - Reply

I share your pain. I live in South Florida (Hell to the locals) and we have had a lovely summer of 95+ temps and humidity.. (and it does not cool off at night). However, I have made lemonade as they say by discovering mushroom photography (fun but physically taxing – tilting screen a must) and lightning photography using my “other” camera’s live composite mode. I would not mind living in the city of Roses!

2. Jimmy Denham September 13, 2015 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Looking forward to what the cooler, wetter weather will bring to your viewfinder!

3. David Mullin September 23, 2015 at 2:41 pm - Reply

Another empathetic person here. I live just outside of Sacramento, and while not as bad as last summer, the heat has been pretty much unrelenting for months. Even this Friday is supposed to be 99 degrees. It does no good to head up to Tahoe, either, as the rivers are dry as a bone up there. Only cool shots are of certain spots in Lake Tahoe where you normally cant’ get to because of the low water levels.

4. bj September 26, 2015 at 11:20 pm - Reply

Are you really complaining about 90 degrees around Portland? I’m in southern Oregon and we had total of more than a month of 100 plus all the way up to 109, and 14 days of those were in a row. :) It was 88 today and yesterday. I want to move but I’m not sure where. Philomath? Dallas? Keiser? I won’t go anywhere there is not an avian vet.

5. Anthony Shaughnessy September 28, 2015 at 1:23 am - Reply

I also find photography harder in the summer. Britain is a green and pleasant land, but green and pleasant doesn’t translate into good photos for me. Autumn is when it gets exciting. Winter has snow on the hills. Spring is less good, but has soft mists and new flowers. Summer is tough.
    Anthony

6. Ken Krato September 29, 2015 at 1:50 pm - Reply

While waxing nostalgic it would be nice to add a few thoughts about how the pictures were captured. Perhaps, exposure, length of shots, tripod, is there an on1 filter that would achieve the moving water effect?