A First Look at the Sony a7II

By | 2014-12-05T14:51:07+00:00 Dec 5th, 2014|

I recorded a quick First Look video at the brand new Sony a7II. My first impressions are that this is a fantastic camera with killer ergonomics and a wonderfully improved AF system. This video covers more of the superficial aspects of the camera, compared against the original a7 and a7R. I’ll have more significant image comparisons ready this weekend once I’ve had an opportunity to extensively use it.

1. […] Brian Matiash I recorded a quick First Look video at the brand new Sony a7II. My first impressions are that this […]

2. Greg December 5, 2014 at 4:28 pm - Reply

Want. (Bad!)

On your ‘deep dive’, can you talk about how many batteries you go through on a typical shoot? (I’d like to know how many to budget for…)

Thanks Brian!

3. miltpix December 5, 2014 at 4:32 pm - Reply

Looks like a great camera. Can’t wait until I can get one.

4. kellydazet December 6, 2014 at 8:57 am - Reply

Thank you, Brian for this interesting, first look at the A7II.

Seems that if you acquire one, you will also need a new RRS L bracket? I love my RRS L brackets, but those babies are expensive for a non-pro like myself. Also by adding depth and weight are they beginning to defeat the purpose of a small, lightweight FF camera? That is for me one advantage of my A7 over my A99 (of course the A99 has the advantage of IBIS, GPS, longer battery life and fully articulating display). With either camera when I’m in serious mode, the cameras get mounted on tripod where IS can be a nuisance for someone like myself that tends to forget to shut it off (occasionally). My previous digital camera the Konica Minolta 7D had a big mechanical switch reminding be to shut if off. Of course that camera was bristling with knobs and switches for everything! :-)

Thanks again!

Regards,

Kelly

5. James Whitehouse December 7, 2014 at 8:16 am - Reply

Thanks for the video, look forward to seeing more! Could you please test low light AF?

6. Joe Ng December 7, 2014 at 12:06 pm - Reply

Brian, thanks for the video. I would appreciate if you can let us know how much improvement of the AF-S & AF-C compare to A6000.

7. Lloyd December 7, 2014 at 5:48 pm - Reply

Hi Brian,
    I see on your video that you also use the a7s. There has been a lot of commentary about the relatively low pixel count. Clearly it’s a brilliant video camera, but I’d appreciate your opinion of the still image quality compared with a7 and a7R. Obviously one can’t crop as small or print as large, but for ‘average’ requirements I’m guessing that 12Mp is maybe adequate. I wonder if there is an a7s mark II coming.

8. Sue December 28, 2014 at 8:33 pm - Reply

Hi Brian,
    Can you let us know how high can the ISO go before you start to see noise in the A7II? Enjoyed your video and looking forward to more.