The new Sony a7II is ready for pre-order in the US!

By | 2014-11-26T09:32:48+00:00 Nov 26th, 2014|

Suffice it to say that I am very excited about new Sony a7II. Aside from the redesign of the body and enhanced hybrid-AF, the real show stopper here is Sony’s inclusion of a world’s first in-body 5-axis image stabilization in a full-frame mirrorless camera! Up until today, we hadn’t heard word about pricing and availability for US-based orders but that has now changed.

Preorders are now being accepted at Amazon (click here) and B&H Photo (click here)!

So waddya think? Will you be preordering?

1. […] Brian Matiash Suffice it to say that I am very excited about new Sony a7II. Aside from the redesign of the body […]

2. Kelly Dazet November 26, 2014 at 10:31 am - Reply

This is exciting news, indeed! I’ve only had my A7 for a few months now, and am very pleased with it. Probably won’t be upgrading yet. More likely I would upgrade my A99, particularly if they improved the AF, add the 5-axis AS and NOT drop GPS, which I fear they will likely do and replace it with WiFi/NFC. Railroad photography is my passion. Trains don’t necessarily move that fast, but nevertheless, I seem to get more keepers with subjects in sharp focus with the A7 than with the A99. I would have thought it would be the other way around, but then it may be me. Perhaps I need to closely examine my AF settings for the A99.

I took my A7 on a recent travels to Germany and Sudtirol, Italy and it is pretty close to being the perfect travel camera (except for no GPS), especially with the FE 55mm f1.8 which is one sweet lens! Used the MD Rokkor 24mm f2.8mm with Novaflex adapter for wide angle and my Minolta 100-300mm APO D for telephoto with the LA-EA4.

Anyway for anyone that has not made the move to FF mirror-less, it sure looks like the A7II would be the perfect choice!

Regards,

Kelly

3. colbyp November 26, 2014 at 5:17 pm - Reply

This body has me more interested in mirrorless offerings now. I put the A7 in my hands a couple of times since its come out and the placement of the shutter button wasn’t comfortable (currently have 5D3) and so I was pleased to see that they’ve moved the button so I’m curious to see. I’m also curious to see a GPS solution from Sony, as I love the Canon offering and I love to reference its coordinates for personal use from time to time.

Have you found a solution for GPS data in your time using A7/A7R/A7S?

• Kelly Dazet November 28, 2014 at 11:12 am - Reply

I use Geotag Photos Pro, but it is extra work and prefer the built in GPS of my A99. I still have a Qstarz GPS which I used pre-A99. I have been hoping Sony would introduce a Multi-Interface shoe or USB GPS, but so far no sign of one. Of course battery life would be even shorter with built in GPS and some already complain about that — though I’ve had no issue with it. One just needs an extra battery or two.

At first I didn’t like the position of the shutter button on my A7, but quickly adjusted to it. Sort of like going back to my old MF film bodies! :-)

Kelly

• Brian Matiash November 28, 2014 at 11:23 am - Reply

Colby – I use an app on my iPhone called GPS Tracks that works really well It automatically creates a GPX file that syncs to Dropbox. Lightroom is able to read and sync the GPS coordinates with ease.

For the Android users out there, Google also has a free app called My Tracks that does an equally wonderful job.

It’s not as elegant of a solution as the Canon GP-E2 but it certainly does that job. And I haven’t seen a notable impact to battery drain on my phone, so that is a big plus.

4. Romel November 26, 2014 at 7:21 pm - Reply

With this new Sony A7II, I think I just might make the jump to Sony. I’m liking everything about it, except one thing which I have yet to confirm: does it have focus peaking??

5. Paul van der Heyde November 28, 2014 at 7:43 am - Reply

Hi Brian, looks awesome!
    I’m thinking about jumping ship as well to Sony!

But now I’m doubting between the A7R and A7II … which one would you recommend for a landscape photographer?
    I do love that 36mp high dynamic sensor … :-) But now I’m thinking if the body of the A7II would be better ..
    Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Paul

• Kelly Dazet November 28, 2014 at 11:18 am - Reply

Typically the landscape photographer is going to have his camera on tripod and not shooting high frame rate, so IMO, the A7r may be the way to go.
      The A7II is going to have better AF, faster frame rates, and in-body AS is going to be superior for hand-held shots. 24Mp is going to be more than enough resolution of most photos for all but huge prints.

Kelly

• Brian Matiash November 28, 2014 at 11:27 am - Reply

Hey Paul,

Much like what Kelly wrote, I tend to have my camera sitting atop my tripod in almost all of my landscape shoots. With that said, it’s important to qualify what you’d need the 36mpx sensor for. If you intend of doing a lot of aggressive cropping, then this will help. However, the 24mpx sensor of the a7 and the a7II are both exceptionally capable. You also gain the remarkable 5-axis in-body image stabilization (IBIS) and refined ergonomics. If I had to choose one body at this point, I’d have to go with the a7II. I suspect that it’ll more than meet your needs.

6. Kelly Dazet November 28, 2014 at 10:58 am - Reply

Romel,

Yes A7 series has focus peaking. Also has focus magnification. And has MF Asist Which automatically magnifies the live view image for critical focusing when in Manual Focus or DMF mode, with native E mount lenses only. Works super well! BTW, I highly recommend Gary Friedman’s guide books, especially if you are new to the system : Gary L. Friedman “The Complete Guide to Sony’s A7 and A7r Cameras” . The Friedman Archives Press.

Kelly