Sugar-coated Multnomah Falls

By | 2014-11-15T09:16:34+00:00 Nov 15th, 2014|

On Thursday, a ‘snowstorm’ that would be laughable by northeast US standard passed through the area. True to form, snow did form and it actually stuck. Not to miss out on enjoying the Columbia River Gorge covered in snow, I headed out to photograph Wahclella Falls. I was joined by three great people: Brian, William, and Britta. The hike to Wahclella was great. Snow and icicles greeted us the entire way and the the falls at the end of the trail did not disappoint. On the way back to Portland, we opted to exit at the Multnomah Falls stop off I-84 because we had noticed how pretty it looked on our way into the Gorge earlier that morning, covered in a sugar-coating of sorts. The cold temps helped in minimizing pedestrian traffic on the Benson Bridge and I was fortunate enough to get a photo with no one on it. All in all, a wonderful experience with equally wonderful people.

I took this photo with my Sony a7R and Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 super telephoto sitting on my Really Right Stuff TVC-34L/BH-55 tripod. I paired it up with a 3-stop 4×4 ND filter and a 105mm CPL filter, both by Formatt-Hitech, in order to drag the shutter and capture the movement of the falling water. For stylization, I decided to stretch my legs with onOne Software’s newly released Perfect Effects 9 and built a custom preset.

1. William Woodward November 15, 2014 at 9:24 am - Reply

Sweet! Just driving past the big M now

2. Tamara Lackey November 15, 2014 at 9:30 am - Reply

Nice!

3. […] Brian Matiash On Thursday, a ‘snowstorm’ that would be laughable by northeast US standard passed […]

4. Hudson Henry November 15, 2014 at 9:52 am - Reply

Nice shot Brian! Love it.

5. Brian Matiash November 15, 2014 at 9:57 am - Reply

Thanks, Hudson. It really ties the room together.

6. Susie Newcomer November 15, 2014 at 10:11 am - Reply

That is beautiful

7. shireen November 15, 2014 at 10:49 am - Reply

Wow. Stunning

8. Mike Wong November 15, 2014 at 10:51 am - Reply

I’m sure all of Portland shut down at the first sight of snow. :-)

9. Brian Matiash November 15, 2014 at 11:33 am - Reply

It was all sorts of hysteria on the news, Mike.

10. Pamela Ann Berry November 15, 2014 at 11:39 am - Reply

I’d love to shoot that!!

11. Michael Bonocore November 15, 2014 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Sick Brian Matiash! I love this shot

12. Michael Bonocore November 15, 2014 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Brian Matiash did you have to clone stamp out people? Or this was mega early AM?

13. Brian Matiash November 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm - Reply

Neither, Michael. I just waited a few minutes.

14. Michael Bonocore November 15, 2014 at 12:08 pm - Reply

Wow, crazy. I have to go back in winter for a better chance. When Tessa Kit Zawadzki and I were there, it was a circus. No less than 50 people on the bridge. She had to clone stamp for 3 hours to get everyone out. I am way to lazy for that.

15. Michael Bonocore November 15, 2014 at 12:09 pm - Reply

And all I could think about when I was there was how epic it would be with snow…and you got it! :)

16. Mike Wong November 15, 2014 at 12:11 pm - Reply

On a “normal” day when the weather doesn’t keep people away, I’ve found that I have to get there around 7am to shoot the bridge & falls without people so you don’t spend hours with the clone stamp tool.

17. Michael Bonocore November 15, 2014 at 12:15 pm - Reply

Yeah, we were there mid afternoon on a beautiful summer holiday weekend *facepalm*

18. Dima Barsky November 15, 2014 at 12:29 pm - Reply

Great image Brian! Love the green tones and much more!

19. Jim Nix November 15, 2014 at 2:18 pm - Reply

Really nicely done dude!

20. Brian Matiash November 15, 2014 at 3:18 pm - Reply

Thanks much, y’all!

21. Margaret Crews November 15, 2014 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Love it <3

22. Mike Wong November 15, 2014 at 3:30 pm - Reply

Michael – write it off as a scouting trip. :-)

23. kellydazet November 16, 2014 at 7:51 am - Reply

Absolutely gorgeous photograph, Brian!

24. Devon R. Bell November 17, 2014 at 8:33 am - Reply

Le sigh – so beautiful.

25. […] Sugar-coated Multnomah Falls – this often photographed bridge takes on a unique personality depending on lighting conditions and time of year.  In this shot, Brian Matiash captures a great perspective of the bridge and waterfall behind it, covered in a frosting of fresh snow to give it a real winter feel. […]

26. […] Sugar-coated Multnomah Falls – this often photographed bridge takes on a unique personality depending on lighting conditions and time of year. In this shot, Brian Matiash captures a great perspective of the bridge and waterfall behind it, covered in a frosting of fresh snow to give it a real winter feel. […]