Always Evolve Your Website

By | 2014-09-15T21:29:29+00:00 Sep 15th, 2014|

If there is one page that I have always taken out of Nicole‘s book, it is to always evolve your website. Now, that is not to say that you have to make gigantic leaps every time. Rather, Nicole constantly audits her own site, constantly on the look out for more effective plugins, cleaner designs, and just the best way to present her work. Recently, Nicole decided to switch to the awesome WordPress-managed host, WP Engine. Her migration was very easy and it piqued my interest. For a while now, I’ve been really disenchanted with my current host, BlueHost. Working with the WordPress Admin was utterly painful and page load times were underwhelming.

So yesterday, I decided to make the plunge and move my entire site over to WP Engine, bringing in every asset, gallery, and blog post under one unified domain: bmatiash.wpengine.com. Rather than piecemeal different parts of my site across different services, I decided to keep everything centralized. I can’t say enough about the positive experience I had migrating all of my data over to WP Engine and wholly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new home for their website. Along with the migration, I also made some stylized tweaks to the main navigation menu and galleries.

With all of this, though, I could not have come even close to making this migration successful if it wasn’t for the selfless help that my good friend, Dave Veffer, provided. Everyone should be so lucky to have a friend like Dave in their corner.

So what about you guys ‘n gals? What sort of website evolution strategies do you practice?

1. Amy Heiden September 15, 2014 at 9:39 pm - Reply

Change is definitely good, but I get in the habit of recreating my website every few years and only making minor changes in between because it takes countless of hours to do revamps. I think that’s where WordPress has one up on Squarespace, because there are not plugins available or new designs launched frequently.

2. Brian Matiash September 15, 2014 at 9:40 pm - Reply

Yeah, Amy, I couldn’t sing the praises of hosting your own WP site. The level of customization and third part support are amazing.

3. Brian Bonham September 15, 2014 at 9:43 pm - Reply

This is a timely post for me. Thanks Brian!

4. Gautam Khattak September 15, 2014 at 10:14 pm - Reply

always love seeing the Antelope Canyon pics, brings back great memories

5. Todd Sipes September 15, 2014 at 10:18 pm - Reply

Looks good, dude!

6. Michael Bonocore September 15, 2014 at 10:22 pm - Reply

Looks awesome!

7. Doug Daulton September 15, 2014 at 10:22 pm - Reply

I host all of my sites (mine and clients) at WordPress Engine. For what you get, it is the best value out there, bar none.

8. Todd Sipes September 15, 2014 at 10:32 pm - Reply

Why you always gotta one-up me, Bonocore? :-)

9. Michael Bonocore September 15, 2014 at 10:33 pm - Reply

#AndoridSucks Todd Sipes *Shots Fired*!

10. Brian Matiash September 15, 2014 at 10:34 pm - Reply

Thanks, fellas!

11. Peter Adams September 15, 2014 at 10:37 pm - Reply

Congrats Brian . BTW, we’ve got a whole community over on g+ devoted to WordPress for Photographers: https://plus.google.com/app/basic/communities/114167422038063473330

12. Todd Sipes September 15, 2014 at 10:54 pm - Reply

Bonocore never heard of Andorid, so it very well might. #authorsshouldspellcheck

13. Brian Matiash September 15, 2014 at 10:59 pm - Reply

Todd #Bazinga

14. Emanuel Wetterqvist September 16, 2014 at 2:30 am - Reply

WP Engine is awesome and takes a lot of the DIY hassle of WP hosting off your shoulders. Always keep moving!

15. Scott Wyden Kivowitz September 16, 2014 at 4:31 am - Reply

Great decision :-)

16. Scott Wyden Kivowitz September 16, 2014 at 4:31 am - Reply

For some reason Peter’s link was broken so here is the G+ community link https://plus.google.com/communities/114167422038063473330

17. Dave Veffer September 16, 2014 at 5:56 am - Reply

Looks great dude :) Thanks for the kind words and shoutout! Always happy to help a great friend

18. Ana Andrés September 16, 2014 at 7:33 am - Reply