Create For Yourself

By |2014-08-23T09:55:27+00:00Aug 23rd, 2014|

I know that this piece of advice has been shared many times before by me and by many other helpful people, but it warrants sharing again. Simply, create for yourself. Create whatever and however you want to create, on your terms. Share your creations with the world not for the paper-thin and fleeting affirmation of others, not for that ridiculous +1 or Like, but because, intrinsically, that is what you owe to yourself when you create. You will have your fans and detractors simply by virtue of creating something for yourself that you have shared. Expect and appreciate both for what they are and at an arm’s length. No one can define you or your work. They certain can try, and some will, but it’s on you to set your terms of who you are. And today, I want to share these inspirational words with the same intent that I share my photosprimarily to help myself and, hopefully, to help others who need it.

1. Cynthia Pyun August 23, 2014 at 9:57 am - Reply

You and Nicole always do share and help and make the sighting all the more interesting, Brian.

2. Brian Matiash August 23, 2014 at 9:57 am - Reply

Thanks, as always, Cynthia. Miss ya!

3. Cynthia Pyun August 23, 2014 at 9:59 am - Reply

well, just drop on by! Almost healed up and ready to roll…just maybe not rock too hard this time ;)

4. Christina Ann August 23, 2014 at 10:07 am - Reply

Preach!!

5. Guillaume Desachy August 23, 2014 at 4:22 pm - Reply

Fantastic words Brian!

6. Kevin O'Grady August 23, 2014 at 5:08 pm - Reply

Well said!

7. Jack Larson September 2, 2014 at 6:26 pm - Reply

Agreed. However, to pull this off, you have to coat yourself with Teflon. Some people, including those whom you highly respect, will not like particular photographs of yours (even the ones that you love the most). Allowing negative comments to slide off, especially when it is of those creations that give you the greatest sense of fulfillment, is crucial to being true to your integrity and your vision.

8. […] I wrote a brief post on my blog that was titled, Create For Yourself, which serves as the impetus for this story. Lately, I’ve been spending a lot of time […]