Down the hatch

By |2014-08-16T12:17:36+00:00May 24th, 2014|
Despite the rather pricey fee incurred by photographers who wish to bring their tripods down into Lower Antelope Canyon, it really is a magical place to visit. When Chris Lazzery, Moe Chen, and I visited back in February, we didn’t realize the early-ish closing time, so a bit of a hustle through was in order. I decided to stay back and let my buds move along first, giving me a bit of breathing room. I ended up walking away with a bunch of photos that I’m excited to edit but I’d just as easily return back in a heartbeat.

All editing was done in Analog Efex Pro 2, part of the Nik Collection by Google.

1. Marjorie McDonald May 24, 2014 at 9:25 am - Reply

Its always nice to see a new perspective on a place that is so iconic… we've all seen the standard shots dozens of times… I prefer shots like these (cuz I'd make these too, given the chance)

2. GALERIA EXPONLINE May 24, 2014 at 9:50 am - Reply

Fantastica!

3. Rob Tedesco May 24, 2014 at 11:10 am - Reply

This is amazing.  If it gets better than this, well, just wow!

4. Mike Nowacki May 24, 2014 at 11:32 am - Reply

They charge a 'tripod tax'?

5. Sunny Wu May 24, 2014 at 12:22 pm - Reply

Wow! That looks amazing!

6. Brian Matiash May 24, 2014 at 1:37 pm - Reply

+Mike Nowacki Effectively, yeah. And it was a pretty steep price but we had to pay it – no way I'd go down there without a tripod.

7. Mike Nowacki May 24, 2014 at 1:45 pm - Reply

That is ridiculous. I have a walking stick that transforms into a monopod.

8. Bruce Goren May 24, 2014 at 1:51 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash so tell us man, exactly how much did they extort from you for the privilege of using sticks?

9. Brian Matiash May 24, 2014 at 2:09 pm - Reply

+Bruce Goren I want to say it was around $50-60 for about 90 of time. +Moe Chen, do you remember?

10. Bruce Goren May 24, 2014 at 2:14 pm - Reply

Steep "modeling fee" <G> for an inanimate subject, but for a pro like you I'd say it was well worth it looking at the results.

11. Moe Chen May 24, 2014 at 3:25 pm - Reply

Nice shot man! Reminds me that I have some pics to process now that some time has passed. Been kind of busy doing some commercial stuff and some food photography if +Nicole S. Young has any tips…

I don't remember the exact fee but I want to say $45. Wouldn't be as bad if we hang gotten there so late and had some more time before the dude came in looking for you. We will have to make a return trip. Get wave permits before heading out.

12. Moe Chen May 24, 2014 at 3:27 pm - Reply

+Mike Nowacki no go on the monopod! Your eyes adjust once your down in the canyon and you don't really notice how dark it is but if you're bracketing to get some shadow detail at f8 you're talking about 20 second exposures. I'm guessing they would charge you either way just for walking around. Can say I blame them for capitalizing on the opportunity though.

13. Chris Lazzery May 24, 2014 at 4:21 pm - Reply

Hells yeah, sweet POV here. I think it was like $38 or some weird number like that. Reminds me as well that I need to go back and process a couple of shots from here. Man I miss the desert.

14. David Roma May 24, 2014 at 4:25 pm - Reply

very nice pic Brian.. that's cheeky that they charge though :P

15. Gareth Mcguigan May 24, 2014 at 4:35 pm - Reply

this is brilliant

16. Darren Neupert May 24, 2014 at 8:43 pm - Reply

I loved this place.  I especially loved the sand shower I received when exiting up this stairway.  LOL  Well worth it though.

17. Peter Stewart May 25, 2014 at 12:10 am - Reply

nice to see a kind of 'behind the scenes' type shot. The reality behind a lot of famous shooting locations is that it's highly commercialised and you have to share the space with hundreds of others all competing for the same image. I'm thinking of Ankor Wat sunrises or shooting cormorant fisherman on the Li River.

18. Justin Van Leeuwen May 26, 2014 at 7:16 am - Reply

Cool tilt shift bro

19. Tracy Simbi May 27, 2014 at 2:18 am - Reply

Woooo fantastic

20. Mike Wilson May 27, 2014 at 5:48 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash that's the tribal lands for you!  Milking every dollar.  I believe that bridge that goes out of the grand canyon is around $70 and  I boycott that type of fee.   Plenty of beautiful scenery in this country to not have to be gouged for a photo that has been taken 1000's and 1000's of times.  I've heard Antelope Canyon is around $30 that is a fair price to pay.

21. Souri Sengdara May 31, 2014 at 8:36 am - Reply

wow … a tripod fee … have never heard of that … that definitely influenced my next travel destination as I would not pay that. The Australian desert is tripod fee free. Yeah!
    #notripodfee

22. Darren Neupert May 31, 2014 at 9:12 am - Reply

+Souri Sengdara I thought the fee was well worth it.  It was a good investment for 90 minutes of free-range roam time.  You can't take good shots without a tripod.  My D800 is very unforgiving with even the slightest movement and I'm not interested in shooting over ISO 100 when I don't have to.  The canyons reside inside of the Navajo Nation and so therefore they will take advantage of their treasure and charge whatever they want to those of us who are looking for a special privilege.  It also provides some employment to the locals.  I can hardly wait to return.