When lightning greets Uluru

By |2014-04-08T15:26:07+00:00Apr 8th, 2014|
I think it has rained non-stop since we arrived in Australia‘s Northern Territory. Normally, this would be a reason to be bummed but along with the rain can come some pretty epic storm clouds. Thankfully, that was the case on our last evening visiting Uluru. When we arrived here for sunset, we were greeted with one of the most menacing arrays of clouds that I’ve ever seen.

As they approached us, several bolts of lightning flashing, causing all of the Topdeck Travel photographers to shift their attention from the giant rock to capturing the crack of lighting bolts. As the storm passed over our heads, I noticed the lightning start striking closer and closer to Uluru, whereas a few minutes prior, it was literally 180-degrees behind us.

I had my Canon 15mm Fisheye Funkbuster lens on and didn’t have the time to switch to anything longer (partly because of how fast the storm was moving and because of the heavy rain that began to fall) so I had to rely on a rather significant crop, making me even more thankful for shooting with a high-megapixel FF camera. Of all my attempts, this was the best result depicting lightning striking in the vicinity of Uluru, which apparently is super rare. Editing was pretty straightforward just using Lightroom.

1. Jason Ruth April 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm - Reply

great shot.  To give you some statistics, approximately only 1% of tourists to Uluru get to experience rain out there.  Having had the same luck last year in November, you have experienced something very few will, and it is truly magical.

2. Roselle Valdez April 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm - Reply

That is a gorgeous photo. Thanks for
    sharing.

3. Rose Rouge April 8, 2014 at 3:51 pm - Reply

wonderful picture

4. Anoop Yadav April 8, 2014 at 4:07 pm - Reply

awesome luk

5. Francois Fourie April 8, 2014 at 4:29 pm - Reply

So jealous! Just awesome

6. Stephen Godfrey April 8, 2014 at 5:14 pm - Reply

same for our trip out there right +Ana Andres, +Jason Baker, +Jason Ruth, +Josie Ruth. I still need to submit my shots for approval…

7. Jason Ruth April 8, 2014 at 5:29 pm - Reply

+Josie Ruth and I still haven't submitted ours either +Stephen Godfrey

8. Tamara Pruessner April 8, 2014 at 5:30 pm - Reply

Practicing for monsoon chasing with me and JP? :D

Great shot!

9. George Fletcher April 8, 2014 at 6:05 pm - Reply

Sweet shot!

10. Brian Matiash April 8, 2014 at 6:51 pm - Reply

+Stephen Godfrey we had a national parks agent with us all day and approved all of our shots because we were classified as media. The good news is that I can use them in commercial methods. :)

11. Jason Ruth April 8, 2014 at 7:03 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash, when +Stephen Godfrey , myself, +Ana Andres +Jason Baker +Josie Ruth  did the trip last year we too got media passes, just that being a private group we didn't get the luxury of a National Parks agent to travel with us, and do on the spot approvals.  Some have been very organised and got their shots approved, 3 of us have been a little on the slow side in doing this.  Found National Parks out there extremely helpful.  Good to see you are enjoying more sights of Australia, enjoy Sydney when you arrive

12. Margot Neebe April 8, 2014 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Wow, great timing and a great shot.  Now get back in the car!

13. Arne Lepla April 8, 2014 at 9:24 pm - Reply

Picture…YES…Light…Contrast…Atmosphere…) + COMPOSITION…

14. Neil Howard April 8, 2014 at 11:19 pm - Reply

Nice one +Brian Matiash  I miss good Aussie storms!

15. doina pester April 8, 2014 at 11:44 pm - Reply

INTERESANT!

16. Vision Odyssey April 9, 2014 at 7:44 am - Reply

Great picture!

17. Trey Ratcliff April 9, 2014 at 3:41 pm - Reply

Cool one +Brian Matiash  — I've always wanted to go there! :)

18. Jason Ruth April 9, 2014 at 3:52 pm - Reply

no excuses for not getting out there +Trey Ratcliff, +Brian Matiash has thrown down the challenge and beaten you out there… :-)

19. Neil Howard April 9, 2014 at 11:23 pm - Reply

I would love to see your "take" on the Rock too +Trey Ratcliff

20. David Roma April 13, 2014 at 7:29 am - Reply

Ahh this is the shot you were talking about +Brian Matiash, sweet… Shame you didn't have the longer lens on, did well to get this with so much light around :-)

21. Helena Hendriks April 21, 2014 at 7:37 am - Reply

Great picture!. We were there and it was quite spectacular! Just didn’t catch it on camera as good as you did.