Uluru and the elements

By | 2014-04-06T22:22:53+00:00 Apr 6th, 2014|
We really did have the best of intentions this morning. The alarm went off at 4:30AM, managed to get a quick shower in, and headed off to meet the rest of the Topdeck Travel photographers on our shuttle. The goal was to be the first ones at the gate of Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park in Australia‘s Northern Territory (a mission that we accomplished). Being the first ones there ensured we’d get primo spots for sunrise at the designated viewing area, however the elements had their own agenda.

While there was no real sunrise to speak of, we were able to reap the benefits of this inclement weather by capturing a swath of fog rolling across the top of Uluru. Apparently, this is fairly rare to capture, so despite the steady rain that we’re having, I am very thankful to have had the opportunity to experience this phenomenon.

I used my Formatt-Hitech 10-Stop IRND filter to drag the shutter of my Sony A7 and Sony FE 24-70mm lens. All stylization was done in Nik Analog Efex Pro.

1. Róża gala April 6, 2014 at 10:26 pm - Reply

good morning
    I warmly welcome
    I wish you a nice day..:))+Brian Matiash

2. Daniel Porter April 6, 2014 at 10:38 pm - Reply

In a number of ways, you are better capturing something unique like this than the typical shot of the rock.

FWIW, my father had a photo of his caravan in front of Ayres Rock and a magazine wouldn't publish it.  Apparently there are a number of steps the publishes have to go through to get the image published and unfortunately it's not worth the time it takes.

3. Daniel Porter April 6, 2014 at 10:38 pm - Reply

BTW, are you enjoying your time here in Australia?

4. Baz Anderson April 6, 2014 at 10:44 pm - Reply

Hey Brian, your folio of Oz shots to date is great. Bus travel suits you? : )

5. Brian Matiash April 6, 2014 at 10:54 pm - Reply

+Daniel Porter I think I know the plight you're talking about. We are considered media by the park and literally have to get every image that we take approved for posting. Violating that puts Topdeck's license with the park at risk. Suffice it to say, this is very frustrating – as is being prohibited from photographing so many parts of the Rock.

6. Daniel Porter April 6, 2014 at 10:55 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash I was wondering if that was the case. ;)

7. Lon W. April 6, 2014 at 11:16 pm - Reply

wow

8. doina pester April 6, 2014 at 11:28 pm - Reply

FANTASTIC,O DIMINEATA SI O ZI FERMECATOARE!

9. Jason Baker April 6, 2014 at 11:48 pm - Reply

We were lucky enough to have thunderstorms almost every afternoon when we were there in november. For us that was a bonus as it meant we got shots that were different to those you usually see (also on media permits).

I under stand your frustration with the restrictions that are applied due to the media permits – the approvals process was painless and fast in my experience.

I'm so looking forward to a return visit and being able to spend more time there.

10. Matty C Sands April 7, 2014 at 12:44 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash "so take the photographs and still-frames in your mind…" and the rest of that verse in the Greenday song. Not many people get to see the rock in their lifetime. They say that at certain times of year, it emits a strange glow like a city, viewed from afar. This is the most unique shot I've ever seen of Uluru, I've been itching for your perspective of the NT. Thanks mate.

11. Dirk Moeller April 7, 2014 at 12:57 am - Reply

I find this photo much more compelling than what I would expect to be the result from a sunrise in the "designated sunrise viewing spot" ;)

12. jeampy gilbert April 7, 2014 at 1:32 am - Reply

this is a nice view

13. Lauren Bath April 7, 2014 at 2:16 am - Reply

Yep – epic!

14. William Patino April 7, 2014 at 2:47 am - Reply

Love the color contrasts

15. Lindsay Roberts April 7, 2014 at 2:59 am - Reply

The best photo of the rock I have seen. We'll done

16. Damien Keffyn April 7, 2014 at 3:29 am - Reply

Very nice capture, I hope the weather fines up for you guys, are you heading through Queensland at all?

17. Earen Guerrant April 7, 2014 at 11:18 am - Reply

Interesting

18. Karl isme April 7, 2014 at 9:45 pm - Reply

Nice fresh perspective on a frequently shot subject

19. Michelle Alexander April 7, 2014 at 10:18 pm - Reply