Google +1 Year

By | 2014-03-26T17:17:06+00:00 Mar 25th, 2014|
On March 25th, 2013, I kicked off my first day here at Google. I remember sitting in a big conference room with 70 or so other Nooglers, taking in all of the basic information about Google and its culture. I remember feeling my jaw fall open at the influx, deluge really, of new data being presented to me. I remember Josh Haftel picking me up from orientation like a proud papa would with his kid’s first day at school. On Day 2, I remember squatting at Dave Cohen‘s desk while he was on vacation and pelting a thousand questions at my two new colleagues, Vincent Mo and Aravind Krishnaswamy. I still get a chuckle at the rate of questions that I asked them. Since then, I’ve made it a point to offer the same patience and guidance to Nooglers who are in the same need of answers. Everything beyond Day 2 has been a blur of whimsy and amazement.

This year has easily been the most eye-opening and productive year of my life. There is nothing that can quite prepare you for thinking in terms of Google Scale, putting yourself in a mindset to think about how we can help do things better and positively impact millions upon millions of people. Getting in this mindset was, admittedly, very tough but once I started seeing the research and data yielded, as well as speak with countless people during my travels, it was clear that there is so much more that we can do with pictures and photography beyond what will benefit me or my particular ilk of social photographer.

This first year has very much been about setting the foundation and letting it settle in place. Now it’s time to grow. I am so lucky to be surrounded by so much brilliance and talent and passion. It is something that I never want to take for granted and it is why I am so very, very proud, humbled and thankful to be a Googler.

1. Devin Sandoz March 25, 2014 at 5:19 pm - Reply

Great hire!

2. Brian Matiash March 25, 2014 at 5:21 pm - Reply

+Devin Sandoz Thanks for asking the right questions! :)

3. Chris Bagley March 25, 2014 at 5:23 pm - Reply

We (photographers) are happy you're there to represent us. You're a good man for putting up with all of our bitching wanting G+ to be the best place to be!

4. PJ Ammidon March 25, 2014 at 5:27 pm - Reply

Very smart of Google to hire you +Brian Matiash ;)

5. Margot Neebe March 25, 2014 at 5:34 pm - Reply

And as a Noogler I'm so fortunate to be able to learn from you.  Congrats on year 1!

6. Michael Albrecht March 25, 2014 at 5:35 pm - Reply

You rock +Brian Matiash and I'm very glad to know you cheers

7. Ricardo Zamora March 25, 2014 at 5:39 pm - Reply

Awesome!

8. Kris Schnell March 25, 2014 at 5:42 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash been using Google+ for awhile myself (not sure where to check when I started g+) but any kind of tips that are important when you reach a level of stasis, not really growing or shrinking?

9. William Patino March 25, 2014 at 5:42 pm - Reply

Congratulations man, excited to see what the future holds for us and also the generations to come.

10. Brian Matiash March 25, 2014 at 5:49 pm - Reply

+Kris Schnell Interesting question. Can you elaborate?

11. Brian Matiash March 25, 2014 at 5:50 pm - Reply

+Margot Neebe You rock – so happy to have you on the team.

12. Valerij Karpinchik March 25, 2014 at 5:57 pm - Reply

Congrats, +Brian Matiash! :)

13. George Fletcher March 25, 2014 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Congrats on 1 year! Oh, and I love this shot! :)

14. Scott Wyden Kivowitz March 25, 2014 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Congrats on the first year dude :)

15. Moritz Tolxdorff March 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm - Reply

Congrats +Brian Matiash :-) We drink on that next week I assume :-)

16. Mykal Hall March 25, 2014 at 6:09 pm - Reply

I remember your move from +onOne Software to G+. I was a little sad to see you leave there as you inspired me with my journey using their software. I'll do a "Perfect Inspirations" episode one day when I get my procrastinating arse into gear and it will be all thanks to you mate. Keep up the good work and hope to bump into you one day +Brian Matiash

17. Brian Kemper March 25, 2014 at 6:13 pm - Reply

Congratulations +Brian Matiash

18. Kris Schnell March 25, 2014 at 6:15 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash like for example I have my niche of people and content figured out. I follow those I enjoy and some follow back.
    I have circle management fairly well. Thanks to +Greg Trujillo for the article about circle management.

At this point I've made my Google+ experience great for me for what I want it to be but feel like I lack response at times, I know I'm no Derek Ross or others but sometimes I wonder why I get no response or just one or two comments.

19. Laurie Rubin March 25, 2014 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Congrats Brian! :-)

20. Steve Uhlman March 25, 2014 at 6:26 pm - Reply

wow, what a fast year!

21. Frank DeMarco March 25, 2014 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Congrats, +Brian Matiash!   You've greatly enriched this G+ environment for all of us.  Have really enjoyed your shared photos and upbeat attitude.  Thank You!

22. John Balboni March 25, 2014 at 6:36 pm - Reply

Congrats on your first year +Brian Matiash!  It was a big move for you, but excellent for all you do to support the G+ community!

23. Graham Knights March 25, 2014 at 6:37 pm - Reply

Congratulations on the milestone +Brian Matiash! Keep being awesome and doing what you do! Also I have to give massive thanks on behalf of so many for listening and helping figure things out when things don't seem to work right. :)

24. Tu Lam March 25, 2014 at 6:43 pm - Reply

Congrats on your one year anniversary. Though I don't work for Google, all the people I've met through Google events are amazing and cool.

25. John Scott March 25, 2014 at 6:46 pm - Reply

Glad to see you keeping your Portland roots and bringing some of that awesomeness to Google, Cheers +Brian Matiash!

26. Paul Johnston March 25, 2014 at 6:50 pm - Reply

One gold star for Google and Mr. Brian!

27. Jim Denham March 25, 2014 at 6:58 pm - Reply

What a great fit – Google and +Brian Matiash – well done sir! Here's to continued success to both of you!

28. Richard Wong March 25, 2014 at 7:01 pm - Reply

Awesome dude. All the best for many years to come! Must be interesting to have that 30k view from above and see where this is all headed.

29. Francois Fourie March 25, 2014 at 7:08 pm - Reply

Firstly congratulations +Brian Matiash   Like +Mykal Hall , I too remember when that dude from onOne Software was hired by Google, and it was great to see the shift in change, and things started to happen with photos.  I am also very excited to see what the future holds. I know it will be positive and beneficial for photographers, because you are an awesome photographer yourself. I am happy to have met you, and look forward to hanging out with you again soon.  Oh, and great Long Exposure of Dodges Ferry, Tasmania.

30. Vincent Mo March 25, 2014 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Was there a world before +Brian Matiash? I don't remember it. :)

31. Frank DeMarco March 25, 2014 at 7:29 pm - Reply

Yes, +Vincent Mo, but I don't think there were any photos.  :-)

32. Brian Bonham March 25, 2014 at 7:31 pm - Reply

Happy Anniversary! I'm happy that you're happy.

33. andrew mcmillan March 25, 2014 at 7:53 pm - Reply

Looking forward to my own 0th anniversary in three weeks :-)

34. Paul Moody March 25, 2014 at 7:55 pm - Reply

I know my day is complete when I've gotten a dose of 'New York' love from +Brian Matiash. Happy Google-versary!

35. Sean McLean March 25, 2014 at 8:14 pm - Reply

Cool :)

36. April Hill March 25, 2014 at 8:32 pm - Reply

Happy Anniversary +Brian Matiash
    May you and G+ have many more years together ~_*

snicker

37. Libby Chang March 25, 2014 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Happy anniversary +Brian Matiash :D!

38. Karthik Nagaraj March 25, 2014 at 9:16 pm - Reply

Congrats +Brian Matiash and many more to come. Good luck.

39. Mark Barrus March 25, 2014 at 9:22 pm - Reply

Quite the Photogoogler ;)

40. Arne Lepla March 25, 2014 at 10:07 pm - Reply

Picture…YES…Cliffs…Light…Atmosphere…) + composition…

41. Brian Matiash March 25, 2014 at 10:21 pm - Reply

Oh wow! I just came back and saw the engagement on this post! Thank you all!

In all honesty, it is an honor to act as your representative. Long live Photos! :)

42. Roger Dunn March 26, 2014 at 1:48 am - Reply

Brian, looking forward to seeing your posts re Australia. I am just looking forward to when you start producing more inspiring videos – perhaps with NIK – doesn't matter really. Anything to get you back into the realms of teaching and sharing your knowledge.

43. Daniel Sánchez Bosch March 26, 2014 at 8:59 am - Reply

Congrats +Brian Matiash… I think that Google is as happy as you for having such an amazing person with them!

44. Markus Landsmann March 26, 2014 at 10:07 am - Reply

Great light

45. Terry March 27, 2014 at 7:51 am - Reply

Congrats +Brian Matiash. That year flew by. I remember hearing you announce that you were going to Google on Lotus Carroll’s Hangout.
    Glad you’re working hard for all of us photogs.