Vigilance

By |2014-03-23T16:54:16+00:00Mar 23rd, 2014|
Another highlight from my recent visit to Tokyo was checking out the life-sized Gundam statue near the DiverCity Tokyo Plaza in Odaiba with Trey Ratcliff, Mark Louie, and May Fukuyama. As a guy who grew up with the Transformers, Robotech, and Voltron during my formative kid years, seeing this enormous figure was especially awesome. The first few photos I took were with my ultra-wide angle lenses but I quickly realized that something was lost with that, so I switched to my longer lenses and opted to capture some more compelling sections and poses. This photo was taken with my Sony A7 and the Sony FE 24-70.

Despite having a beautiful sunset, the sky itself was pretty bland, so I masked it out and replaced it with a stock cloud image and applied a motion blur in Photoshop to give it some more impact. Originally, I had the clouds moving in a perpendicular direction to the statue but when I showed it to Trey, he asked to see what it’d look like if I made the movement more parallel. After doing so, I agreed that it was a more effective change and kept it as such. The stylization was done using a combo of Nik Analog Efex Pro and Lightroom.

Purchase this print

1. Mark Louie March 23, 2014 at 4:49 pm - Reply

Wow! Well said… And now this is my favorite Gundam picture! :)

2. Ivan Yudhi March 23, 2014 at 4:50 pm - Reply

Ah I was going to Odaiba yesterday. But didn't have enough time so we went somewhere else. We probably would've met :)

3. Brian Kemper March 23, 2014 at 4:54 pm - Reply

Great shot! The clouds add a nice touch.

4. Masakatsu Uchida March 23, 2014 at 5:24 pm - Reply

Cool!

5. Shannon Adelson March 23, 2014 at 5:28 pm - Reply

cool shot

6. Frederick Van Johnson March 23, 2014 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Gundam style!!

7. Rose Le March 23, 2014 at 8:04 pm - Reply

Love the feeling of the Gundam standing ready to battle!

8. DeShaun Craddock March 23, 2014 at 8:30 pm - Reply

Well now it looks like one of those action cutaways in anime with the blurred lines in the background. Fitting for the subject material.

9. Giovanni Piliarvu March 24, 2014 at 6:18 am - Reply

Cool shot! Even if it`s not so polite to shoot from this angle :D

10. Peter Gamba March 25, 2014 at 3:15 am - Reply

First – I like the shot. However, like some people have an opinion on HDR, I have one on composites. While they are nice “compositions” they are not a representation of what the actual scene was at the time of the photograph. When I look at photos that people want me to look at, I’d rather see the true photograph along with the composite. I’ll leave it at that