Celebrating how #COOLJAPAN really is!

By | 2014-03-20T19:22:24+00:00 Mar 20th, 2014|
Yesterday, our Google+ team in Tokyo kicked off a really fantastic new project in association with #100Tokyo  (sponsored by Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry/METI), hence my primary reason for being here in this absolutely breathtaking city. In an effort to share the global message of how wonderful, fun, and quirky Japan really is, we’ve launched a new partner site where anyone can share their own photos and experiences in and around Japan.

To share, just tag your photos with #COOLJAPAN  and #100Tokyo . You can see the site here.

A personal thanks to Negoro Kaori, Hisaya MURATA, Mark Louie, Trey Ratcliff, and Tammy Capistrant for making it possible for me to be here and for putting on such a memorable event yesterday. Kampai!

Purchase a print

1. Paul Gunther March 20, 2014 at 7:11 pm - Reply

<3 Japan, I've only been once when I had a Canon G1 , circa Y2k

2. Brian Matiash March 20, 2014 at 7:14 pm - Reply

+Paul Gunther Me thinks it's time for a redux.

3. Richard Johnson March 20, 2014 at 7:14 pm - Reply

I was in Tokyo in 2010 with my first DSLR. Such a great city to visit and photograph.

4. Brian Matiash March 20, 2014 at 7:18 pm - Reply

+Paul Gunther +Richard Johnson Be sure to dig up your favorite photos from your trips and tag 'em with #COOLJAPAN  and #100Tokyo ! :)

5. Chris Bagley March 20, 2014 at 7:19 pm - Reply

I've wanted to visit Japan for many years now, I have old school buddies working there. I hope this helps boosts tourism. Everything I hear is Japan is beautiful and Tokyo is a must visit city at least once in your life. Love the TS shot as well!

6. Brian Matiash March 20, 2014 at 7:24 pm - Reply

+Chris Bagley Agreed 100%. And actually this isn't T/S per se. I applied the effect that you'd get with a T/S using Nik Analog Efex Pro. :)

7. Richard Johnson March 20, 2014 at 7:28 pm - Reply

Good idea +Brian Matiash it is about time they had some fresh PP love given to them. Lucky I shot RAW back then ;)

8. Brian Kemper March 20, 2014 at 7:32 pm - Reply

The Cool Japan website is great and the launch event was spectacular. Aside from their inability to control the weather, the Google Japan team is very good at what they do.

9. Aleksahdr Bud March 20, 2014 at 7:33 pm - Reply

Супер

10. Paul Gunther March 20, 2014 at 7:41 pm - Reply

Actually Japan is where I bought my first Digital camera, I fondly remember walking into a store, probably Shinjuku, then proudly being able to quickly change the default language from Kanji to English (after studying the menu layouts for months on dpreview ;-) )  Shot #0001 was an in store test JPG on the super expensive 340MB compact flash microdrive, the rest were RAW   I also fondly remember the in-store music in yodobashi camera store, like a joyous Christmas music all day long :-)

11. Richard Johnson March 20, 2014 at 8:01 pm - Reply

+Paul Gunther  I remember having a fantastic conversation with a Japanese sales person in one of those giant Shinjuku camera stores. I was after an ND8 filter and my Japanese and his English could not do it. In the end we played out our thoughts like a game of pictionary. It was great fun.

12. Yuko Nakamura March 20, 2014 at 8:04 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing, +Brian Matiash ! ping: +Serge Labelle

13. Claudio Beffa March 20, 2014 at 8:04 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash, I'm living in Japan since last year for the same purpose of this new project: showing the wonders of Japan day by day. How can I actively take part to this amazing CoolJapan? Please, have a look at my profile & gallery, if you wish…
    Cheers ;-)

14. Worapat Lavanont March 20, 2014 at 9:00 pm - Reply

really love this project.

15. Hisaya MURATA March 20, 2014 at 9:45 pm - Reply

Thank you +Brian Matiash It was great to have you in Tokyo!!  I'm sorry I could not join last night. If you need any info or any thing in Tokyo please let me know.

16. Ron Donson March 21, 2014 at 6:09 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I hope you get the opportunity to see the Japanese countryside. Cities are cities and often indistinguishable from one country to the next. The Japanese countryside can be a jewel. I lived in Northern Japan for two years and thoroughly enjoyed my stay and the people I encountered.

17. Daniel Korzeniewski March 21, 2014 at 6:10 am - Reply

Great Project +Brian Matiash I'm visiting Japan next February… Planning a trip to Hokkaido, and I'll stay a couple of days in Tokyo for sure….

18. محمد محمود March 22, 2014 at 1:06 pm - Reply

This is an invitation to see the right machine http://www.islamhouse.com/