Tasmania on my mind

By | 2014-03-15T22:15:26+00:00 Mar 15th, 2014|
By this time tomorrow, I’ll hopefully be nearing the end of my flight from San Francisco to Tokyo, Japan. I’ve got just about everything packed and ready but despite this being my first time to the country, a large amount of my thoughts are on Tasmania, an area I visited last year and is easily my favorite part of Australia (no offense to locals from other regions – all of Australia really is wonderful). I took this photo on a perfectly foggy morning at Curringa Farm and am already counting the days before I get to visit more of these lovely gum trees.

Fortunately, I’ll have a full week working out of Rose Bay as my good mate, Matt Glastonbury, and his lovely wife, Mia, have opened their home to me. The week after that, we set off on a crazy 10-day trip around various parts of Australia’s Northern Territory. I’ll have more details on that as the trip gets closer but for now, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Purchase this print

1. Kamal Tailor March 15, 2014 at 10:00 pm - Reply

Y U No Like Melbourne!! ;)

2. Matt Glastonbury March 15, 2014 at 10:05 pm - Reply

It's going to be epic mate! Glad you're able to see Tassie once more ;o) Not to mention the incredibleness of Uluru

3. Franz Kelsch March 15, 2014 at 10:05 pm - Reply

I made the trip from San Francisco to Tokyo maybe 100 times while we were living in Japan. Have a safe trip.

4. Brian Matiash March 15, 2014 at 10:05 pm - Reply

HA +Kamal Tailor! I like Melbourne plenty but there was something about TAS that just does it for me. :)

5. Kamal Tailor March 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Tasmanian's are strange folk ;)

6. Alison Christensen March 15, 2014 at 10:16 pm - Reply

Tasmania, particularly the rugged and dramatic west coast is superb, and that's from a Melbournite :)

7. Dharani Achary March 15, 2014 at 10:34 pm - Reply

Beautiful

8. Armand Maes March 15, 2014 at 10:52 pm - Reply

very nice take

9. Pieter Pretorius March 15, 2014 at 10:58 pm - Reply

I think the west coast of Tasmania is SPECTACULAR!

10. elvina horvatin March 15, 2014 at 11:07 pm - Reply

Beautiful

11. Gabrielle Rushing March 15, 2014 at 11:24 pm - Reply

Very pretty! Enjoy every minute!
    Soooooo….. "Beautiful ". "

12. Gabrielle Rushing March 15, 2014 at 11:24 pm - Reply

What type if tree is this in the pic?

13. Kamal Tailor March 15, 2014 at 11:26 pm - Reply

Gum tree

14. Faruk Modan March 15, 2014 at 11:36 pm - Reply

Nice

15. Nan Osgood March 15, 2014 at 11:44 pm - Reply

Beautiful

16. Ash Meyer March 16, 2014 at 12:35 am - Reply

Enjoy!

17. Kevin Slocombe March 16, 2014 at 12:51 am - Reply

Ahh Tasmania. Basket case one day, land of promise the next.

18. maryann martinek March 16, 2014 at 1:05 am - Reply

Beautiful photograph! Sigh oHHH it's so gorgeous

19. doina pester March 16, 2014 at 1:20 am - Reply

ULUITOARE IMAGINE ! SA AI O DUMINICA DE VIS!

20. Nagendra Gupta March 16, 2014 at 1:52 am - Reply

Nice photograph

21. Nurariana Hafiz Danial March 16, 2014 at 2:43 am - Reply

Responsible posible

22. Cheryl Bailey March 16, 2014 at 3:13 am - Reply

Tasmania is the best and enjoy your trip!

23. Michael Jackman March 16, 2014 at 4:11 am - Reply

+Kamal Tailor y thank you Mr Tailor……. Ha ha ha

24. Michael Jackman March 16, 2014 at 4:14 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash If you get a chance visit Bruny Island. Hope you have a fantastic trip To Tassie Brian and you will have fun ,lots of good people there. ; )

25. Darlene Hildebrandt March 16, 2014 at 4:23 am - Reply

Hey +Matt Glastonbury! Small world

26. Ramesh Singaram March 16, 2014 at 4:53 am - Reply

Nice!

27. Dania Noman March 16, 2014 at 5:08 am - Reply

Beautiful

28. Wylliam Zacarias March 16, 2014 at 6:08 am - Reply

Nice Sunday , dear Brian  and Dania  .  I was really very fond with the posting above , showing a Tasmanian scenery , in the famous Australia  .

29. Matt Glastonbury March 16, 2014 at 6:30 am - Reply

Haha sure is +Darlene Hildebrandt!

30. Dalena Masha March 16, 2014 at 7:27 am - Reply

Nice post

31. Lotus Carroll March 16, 2014 at 9:11 am - Reply

Exciting! Have fun, +Brian Matiash!

32. Fred Knurks March 16, 2014 at 9:58 am - Reply

Enjoy Tassie while there are a few trees left

33. Marco Antonio Rios-Pita March 16, 2014 at 12:06 pm - Reply

Linda fotografia

34. Rebecca Fritsch March 16, 2014 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Love Tassie. I'm from Victoria but Tas is my favourite state too. Hiking is out of this world. Have fun +Brian Matiash!

35. Michael Q Todd March 16, 2014 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Beautiful +Brian Matiash

36. Matty C Sands March 16, 2014 at 3:46 pm - Reply

They just voted in a liberal government so you better get down there and photograph the trees while there's still trees there.

37. Tama Johnson March 16, 2014 at 5:19 pm - Reply

Beautiful nigga

38. Topdeck Travel March 16, 2014 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Can't wait to have you on board +Brian Matiash, it is going to be an amazing 9 days in Aus!

39. Aleksahdr Bud March 16, 2014 at 11:22 pm - Reply

Красиво

40. Abdelhakim Hussein March 17, 2014 at 1:13 am - Reply

Nice & Calm

41. Francois Fourie March 17, 2014 at 4:17 am - Reply

What a beautiful image Brian. Glad your coming back, and hope you get some interesting weather. I remember last time you were in Hobart, it was nothing but blue skies…very unlike Tasmania

42. Brian Matiash March 17, 2014 at 5:29 am - Reply

I truly cannot wait, +Topdeck Travel! Let's get this party started!

43. Nur Awulia Paris March 21, 2014 at 7:53 am - Reply

That' F'V U & 5

44. Pastor Kevin April 8, 2014 at 8:37 pm - Reply

+Matty C Sands You're not from Tasmania, are you Matty.   Otherwise you would know the benefits of sustainable forest harvesting that is undertaken in that State.

45. Matty C Sands April 9, 2014 at 12:20 am - Reply

+Pastor Kevin no I'm not from Queenstown but I know how few fucks are given by the liberals for the environment.

46. Matty C Sands April 9, 2014 at 12:24 am - Reply

+Pastor Kevin you're a fake profile, operated by the Liberal propaganda machine, aren't you. If you weren't you'd have photos of yourself and behave like a human rather than spread lies.

47. Pastor Kevin April 10, 2014 at 4:31 am - Reply

I thought as much.

48. Pastor Kevin April 12, 2014 at 2:23 am - Reply

+Matty C Sands I know you've long left this post, but I just thought I would let you know that my profile picture is taken from by back steps, looking across my property (and my "few sheep") up into some bush that runs across mine and my neighbour's property.   It's about 30kms from Launceston, in Northern Tasmania.
    My property, my neighbours and the two properties behind us make up about 200 acres (80 hectares) of what the Greens would call "pristine native forest".   Only problem with that is that the full 200 acres was logged about 30-or so years ago.   Clear-felled, in fact.
    There's another piece of land (about 40 acres) near St Helens on the east coast of Tasmania.   The Greens said back in the late 1990's that it was pristine forest and were campaigning to save it from logging and have it heritage listed.   Again, the locals would tell you this was a cattle property with barely a sapling on it as late as the 1960's.
    Also, there are hundreds of families with property who planted out acres and acres of eucalypts simply so they could have an income from their harvesting (there is a 15-20 year period where they wait for the trees to reach harvestable size …).   The forestry agreement and the demise of Gunns meant they were in danger of not having these trees harvested, leaving them without an income stream and left holding trees that they didn't want to keep.
    Still other families rely on forestry for their livelihood.
    No-one wants to see environmental vandalism.   But there are places on the Frankford Highway going up towards Devonport that were clear-felled less than 10 years ago that are now completely revegetated.   See that's what a sustainable industry does.   Goes in, cuts out the trees, cleans the place up and replants.   Then, in 20-30 years time, it does it again.
    In my opinion (and I think others are coming to share it -given the size of the swings away from the Greens in the recent Tasmanian State and Federal elections) is that the Greens are the real environmental vandals.   And because they cannot support environmentally sustainable industries,they are also unable to provide credible economic credentials (note, wind farms and solar farms are not environmentally sustainable, given their limitations and the manufacturing and transport processes that need to be undertaken to create a turbine and/or a solar farm).
    Like you, I am from Queensland (I moved down here in 1996), and like you, I was taken aback when I saw the images of whole mountainsides laid bare by the loggers.   But I've also seen the other side of the picture – the side the Greens and the media will never show you.   I've seen the replanting and I've seen those mountainsides after 10 years of regrowth.
    And I have walked through the bush on my property.
    So please refrain from calling me a fake, please do not assert that I am operated by the Liberal party machine (until recently I was a died-in-the-wall Labour man …), please don't accuse me of spreading lies and please don't suggest that I am not human.
    And please don't judge the Federal and State Liberal Government's environmental credentials until they have had the opportunity to succeed or fail.
    The Greens – after all – have a pretty poor record when it comes to environmental sustainability, especially in Tasmania.
    And to Brian Matiash and co, I apologise for taking up your space on this post.   And I hope your stay in Tassie is/was truly memorable.

49. Matty C Sands April 12, 2014 at 9:45 am - Reply

+Pastor Kevin well spoken, thank you. All due apologies to you. What better place to discuss such matters, than under the pictures that inspire them. I no longer cast a ballot but I used to choose Greens as a matter of principle, as a statement to ALP and LNP that neither of them got my vote regardless of party preference. Your comment on the cleared land being deemed pristine wilderness reminds me of a debarcle in Ballina where native title laid claim to a shell midden, which turned out to be an abandoned early 20th C oyster farm. Ballina's name is derived from the Bundjalung, Bullinah "place of many oysters". An oyster farm in a place abundant with the wild animal is as illogical as a tree farm in a clearfelled forrest. We should give these farms back to the indigenous people to protect them and grow hemp in the clearings, harvestable every 3 months.