The long path up

By |2014-02-22T10:45:13+00:00Feb 22nd, 2014|
I really should be focusing on packing for my flight to Germany in a few hours but I got the bug to edit and share an image from Antelope Canyon (Lower). I originally hadn’t envisioned going with a black and white treatment but when I saw this preview pop up as I hovered across my list of Lightroom presets, it instantly made sense. How many of you do a quick hover across your presets to get a quick jolt of direction and inspiration?

Yesterday, I downloaded my copy of Trey Ratcliff‘s new, crazy-in-depth HDR tutorial and was glad to see that he follows a similar process in his editing routine. I have the video downloaded on my laptop and plan on watching it in more depth on my flight to Hamburg via Paris. Trey was nice enough to send me a gratis copy to check out and from what I’ve already seen, I am certain that it is a freaking awesome update to his prior HDR technique tutorials. You can check out the insane 40-minute preview and grab a copy here.

Purchase this print

1. Edward Bishop February 22, 2014 at 10:23 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I like the BW version since the color version(s) are everywhere this really stands out!

2. Shelly Gunderson February 22, 2014 at 10:35 am - Reply

This is wonderful in monochrome!

3. Buz Waz February 22, 2014 at 10:37 am - Reply

nice

4. Moe Chen February 22, 2014 at 11:04 am - Reply

Yeah man that's awesome!!!  Mono treatment here is perfect and love the diffused glow off in the distance.  That S curve in the foreground is wicked.

5. George Fletcher February 22, 2014 at 11:20 am - Reply

I also like to check what different presets will do:) This is gorgeous! Wonderful treatment! Enjoy your flight!!

6. Amayalu Milan February 22, 2014 at 11:58 am - Reply

also me 2

7. Sunny Wu February 22, 2014 at 12:04 pm - Reply

Great Work!

8. Aaron Hockley February 22, 2014 at 12:30 pm - Reply

Nice.  It seems most slot canyon photos are shown in color, or pure black/white, it's nice to see one that takes more of a split-toned approach.

9. Scott Wyden Kivowitz February 22, 2014 at 12:45 pm - Reply

I always look at presets first for inspiration and then tweak from there.

10. Michael Frye February 22, 2014 at 1:20 pm - Reply

Beautiful Brian!

11. Brian Matiash February 22, 2014 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, +Michael Frye, et al.!

12. Darlene Hildebrandt February 22, 2014 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Yeah I'm a hoverer

13. Trey Ratcliff February 22, 2014 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Thanks +Brian Matiash  — man you're really gonna like the videos I think!  You can jump towards the end if you wanna see the mega hardcore stuff too! :)

14. Adam Hoke February 22, 2014 at 4:04 pm - Reply

I watched the preview and it just makes you want to learn more. I may have to belly up and buy it

15. Bryan Bzdula February 22, 2014 at 4:29 pm - Reply

Man, this looks great in mono. I love seeing the different version of the same locations from the three of you.

16. S Kimbrough February 23, 2014 at 12:06 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash, thanks for the inspiration! I'm very new to the HDR scene, but have reviewed many HDR pubs, but a straight forward tutorial would be nice! I'm hoping +Trey Ratcliffhas the solution for detailed info whole making it easy to view everywhere I travel so I have no excuse for not maximizing the post processing part of my brain! Thanks for sharing.

17. Mocha Frap February 23, 2014 at 2:32 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash  Great Shot & Thanks 4 Sharing it on G+ :)))

18. Phalguni Rathod February 24, 2014 at 11:31 am - Reply

wat a clik…gr8 imagination..!!
    hats off.!!