They told us to stay

By | 2014-01-25T20:08:07+00:00 Jan 25th, 2014|
I have to say, it felt really nice to get back into an abandoned facility for some good ol’ UrbEx photography. Earlier this morning,  Todd and I left my place at the ripe hour of 4:45AM to meet up with Amy and Quenton Hamlin. Because of the sheer darkness outside coupled with the total lack of electricity within this facility, a lot of our initial photography was accomplished with light painting using flashlights and LED panels.

It wasn’t until the sun had risen and started pouring light through the windows that I was able to find some cool areas to explore some shadow play. I particularly love photographing long corridors in these abandoned buildings, especially when there is a doorway at the end of it. You have this nice volley of shadows and strips of light coming through all of the doorways that ends in a beautifully bright vanishing point.

Processing-wise, I used Photomatix 5 to tone-map this HDR  image from five exposures taken on my Sony A7 with my Canon 14mm f/2.8 Prime lens. In terms of stylization, I decided to go with an ooooold staple of mine, using the Urban Sickness cross-processing effect (in onOne Software Perfect Effects 8) that I built when I was at onOne and introduced a few versions back. I had to dig up and install Perfect Photo Suite 7 so that I could get my beloved FocalPoint back, which I used to add a slight blur around the vanishing point, giving the image a bit of depth. All in all, I was really happy with the way the image came out because I honestly thought that I had walked away from this shoot with nothing to show for it.

Purchase this print

1. Sean McLean January 25, 2014 at 8:47 pm - Reply

Rad!

2. Guillaume Desachy January 25, 2014 at 9:04 pm - Reply

Nice one +Brian Matiash, really mysterious feel!

3. Glenn Costello January 25, 2014 at 9:15 pm - Reply

Watch out for zombies

4. Frances Martinez January 25, 2014 at 10:53 pm - Reply

Nooooooooooo

5. Arne Lepla January 26, 2014 at 12:04 am - Reply

Picture…YES…Light…Tone…

6. Tanya Kirk January 26, 2014 at 2:42 am - Reply

Looks mint and pretty spooky +Brian Matiash,where is the building and what was it?

7. Leon Wai January 26, 2014 at 4:05 am - Reply

creepy!!!

8. حميد الشرجي January 26, 2014 at 4:50 am - Reply

G

9. David Gray January 26, 2014 at 5:08 am - Reply

I was quite cheesed when our local mental institution got torn down after a few years of abandonment. I never got to go in afterwards.

On the one hand, it sucked because I love UrbEx like you, but on the other hand, coworkers told stories of going in there to find freshly washed and folded linen, and sometimes, former residents who were deemed safe to be released fully, but didn't have anywhere to go, so they stuck  around, so I'm kinda glad I never went in (not having anyone to go in there with, mind you)

10. Scott Horvath January 26, 2014 at 6:12 am - Reply

Reminds me of scene from the first couple episodes of The Walking Dead…where's the zombies?! Nice shot

11. Doug Dillon January 26, 2014 at 11:36 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash ahhhhhh……you are truly the master of UrbEx photography……well….honestly any kind of photography but I still enjoy these type of scenes. Not long ago I was watching your video on YouTube that you called Perfect Effects Potpourri (from a few years back). You shot at Ft. Revere in Mass. (hope I spelled that right). It was a long corridor similar to this one (only brick) and you described the HDR shot and processing. This is definitely your thing!!! Thanks so much for sharing. Especially thanks for all those wonderful videos and your descriptions of the shoot and processing. I have learned so much from that. :) And thanks for these too. You give such a wonderful description of the entire process.

12. Dan Hughes January 26, 2014 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Sick photo. The angle is great, It leaves me with a vertigo-esc feeling. The toning makes it terrifying, it's like a zombie is about to round the corner or worse yet +Amy Heiden.

13. George Fletcher January 26, 2014 at 1:07 pm - Reply

Wonderful use of light! UrbEx photography is something that escapes me… I wouldn't even know where to start:)

14. Brian Matiash January 26, 2014 at 1:18 pm - Reply

+Dan Hughes HA! Yup, she can be terrifying on the eyes. ;)

I keeeeeed.

15. Brian Matiash January 26, 2014 at 1:18 pm - Reply

+George Fletcher We should definitely get you feet wet… or in this case, get your hands dirty would be more appropriate. :)

16. Todd Sipes January 27, 2014 at 8:25 am - Reply

+George Fletcher this is the best place to start: the UrbEx bible.