I’m the firestarter

By |2014-01-19T21:36:52+00:00Jan 19th, 2014|
This evening really was a treat for me. First off, I finally had the opportunity to visit the Sutro Baths in San Francisco while playing tour guide to my good bud, Chris Lazzery. I was so surprised at the variety of landscape photography that this area has to offer – very cool stuff!

Secondly, while photographing along one of the concrete perimeters of the bath pools, I bumped into Tony Eckersley and the lovely Robyn Chau. They were on the adjacent beach, so I climbed down to enjoy photographing the sunset – which also was quite beautiful and even had a small complement of wispy clouds just above the horizon.

Thirdly, and finally, just as we were about to pack up and head back up for the evening, we noticed a small group of photographers further down on the beach practicing spinning wool. This is something that I’ve always wanted to photograph but never had the opportunity. So, we meandered on over to them and asked if it’d be ok to join them. Thankfully, the group was beyond accommodating and let us join in on the fun. Tony made a really good point that all of us seemed to walk away with unique enough compositions despite photographing the same subjects – that is something that I really do admire.

I ended up editing this photo first because I absolutely love the refection of the spinner and his crazy little streaks of burning wool. I’ve got a bunch more but will spread them out over the next few weeks/months.

Purchase this print

1. Tony Eckersley January 19, 2014 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Great running into you +Brian Matiash! What an awesome night. I am psyched not only to witness a great sunset, but hang out and take some pretty cool photos with wonderful people!

2. Patti Colston January 19, 2014 at 9:37 pm - Reply

wow! What a time you are having! This is incredible and I can't wait to see the rest!

3. Jenny Kim January 19, 2014 at 9:43 pm - Reply

Aside from this being an awesome photo, it also made me realize I have work on the brain too much, because the first thing I saw in it was a giant "g". Le sigh. :)

4. Kalimuthu Kuselan January 19, 2014 at 9:43 pm - Reply

Good Morning !
    It's Rally Amazing…
    Superb Photograph…..

5. Leo Deegan January 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm - Reply

Now I can't unsee it +Jenny Kim

6. Brian Matiash January 19, 2014 at 9:47 pm - Reply

Hahahahaah +Jenny Kim! Totally see that now.

Now if a + appeared next to it, we'd have serendipity. :)

7. Matt Glastonbury January 19, 2014 at 9:53 pm - Reply

Love doing this over water Brian! Safety plus reflections, it's win/win all round ;o)

8. Damien Jemison January 19, 2014 at 10:57 pm - Reply

Hot ish, +Brian Matiash. I'm headed west tomorrow with absolutely no specific subject in mind. I'll most likely end up on the coast, since my wife scored me a Big Stopper for Christmas. Sutro Baths was one of the possible stops, looks like I just missed you all by a day.

9. Vicki Ellen January 19, 2014 at 11:27 pm - Reply

New Google+ logo there for sure

10. Simon Wilson January 19, 2014 at 11:52 pm - Reply

Beautiful steel wool capture +Brian Matiash
    Steel wool spinning is very addictive. Especially where water is involved

11. Neil Howard January 19, 2014 at 11:55 pm - Reply

well done +Brian Matiash

12. Mocha Frap January 20, 2014 at 12:24 am - Reply

ONE of my     Favorite   :))))

13. colin mullen January 20, 2014 at 1:53 am - Reply

Thanx for sharing with us. certainly inspirational

14. Rose Rouge January 20, 2014 at 3:14 am - Reply

Superb

15. Alex Ander January 20, 2014 at 4:06 am - Reply

Really? When I first saw it I got an… er, different idea.

16. mohamad sehweil January 20, 2014 at 4:09 am - Reply

wow…

17. Michael Long January 20, 2014 at 4:42 am - Reply

I would love to have been with you on this photo trip……. Thank you for sharing with us

18. Falcon Na January 20, 2014 at 6:30 am - Reply

Great photo

19. Danielle Moir January 20, 2014 at 9:10 am - Reply

very cool

20. Jim Barcelona January 20, 2014 at 9:36 am - Reply

You are selling a photo that art students set up for you? I hope you get them a drink.

21. George Fletcher January 20, 2014 at 10:36 am - Reply

Love the reflection! Great shot!

22. Ted Chin January 20, 2014 at 10:56 am - Reply

it was cool to met you guys! cool photo!

23. Brian Matiash January 20, 2014 at 10:58 am - Reply

Hey +Jim Barcelona, I'm not sure whether it was you who was nice enough to let me and my friends join in and photograph the spinning wool at the Sutro Baths last night. Regretfully, I didn't get anyone's contact info so I didn't know who to properly attribute thanks to. In any case, I normally place a link to purchase photos that I post as I see nothing wrong with it. However, given that I didn't confirm with whoever it was that performed the spinning wool whether they're ok with it, I removed the purchase link. No harm, no foul.

If you're the one who we met last night, I definitely want to thank you and am happy to buy you a drink if we meet in the field again.

24. Jim Barcelona January 20, 2014 at 1:49 pm - Reply

No worries. Ya, you met me, +Ted Chin  and Wincent Crabeo and another friend Tiffany. Ted and Wincent spun. Great photo!

25. Brian Matiash January 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm - Reply

+Jim Barcelona Cool! Glad that we were able to connect here. It really was a pleasure meeting you and the rest of the gang.

26. Ken Toney January 20, 2014 at 5:49 pm - Reply

This is on our clubs list of things to do, spinning steel wool.

27. Gloria Rodriguez January 22, 2014 at 5:04 pm - Reply

this looks nice.

28. Billy Badman April 7, 2014 at 10:21 pm - Reply

Waiting for Google to take the photo and run with it on their search homepage… I too saw the g first and foremost….

29. Fototaker Sf May 10, 2014 at 1:27 am - Reply

i bumped into such a croiwd of spinners and photogs by chance some months ago at the Palace of Fine Arts too. that was so cool – i now wonder if it's the same crowd i saw there? great image and yes, the reflection is AWESOME