The mind that revels in whimsy

By |2014-01-11T20:56:55+00:00Jan 11th, 2014|
Today was the first day in quite some a while where I found myself with a good chunk of time to devote to editing photos. I decided to focus on some images taken last week in Yosemite National Park with Amy and Tran. While the company was fantastic, I wish I could say the same for the sky. Alas, it was pure blue and very deflating. I had already posted a black and white photo of the area last week and I wanted to try something different.

So, I let myself ignore most of the failsafes that I usually have in place and just let myself have fun with the editing. To start, I blew away the pure blue sky. That, in and of itself, was very cathartic. I genuinely don’t care for blue skies. I love me some clouds. So that’s what I decided to composite in. Nicole was nice enough to give me her collection of stock cloud shots to peruse through.

Once I found one that fit my needs, I comped it in and applied a slight radial blur in Photoshop to give the clouds a sense of motion. With that done, I did a bit of stylization to bring out the local contrast in the mid-tones and warmed up the color temp of the lit rock face while cooling off the sky a bit. Both the masking of the sky and the stylization were done in onOne Software Perfect Photo Suite 8.1. Admittedly, it has been a while since I used these products but I was extremely impressed and am already looking forward to experimenting some more.

In any case, the morale of the story here is that sometimes, you just need to stop worrying so much about what you should or shouldn’t do with your images and just enjoy doing what you want to do with them. Some people will enjoy it. Some won’t. Neither should affect you so long as your bottom line is that you enjoy it.

Purchase this print

1. Doug Dillon January 11, 2014 at 9:00 pm - Reply

nice processing +Brian Matiash !! I like the slight motion look from radial blur (with the detail in the rocks, it really gives it a 3 dimensional look)!!! Really great job (as always). And speaking of a good job, I really enjoyed your lightroom workflow in the latest Photoshop User magazine. As always, you describe things so well and give such a good background and detail in how it's shot and what you considered when shooting it. Great processing with Analog Efex Pro! You're the man!!! It really helps not only learning the processing but also what goes through your mind as you evaluate and make the adjustments. It helps me think through things more as I take the shot. Thanks man!!!
    PS OnOne has done a good job with Perfect Photo Suite 8.1. I use both Nik and OnOne. Both are good software packages.

2. Brian Matiash January 11, 2014 at 9:02 pm - Reply

You always know how to make a fella end his day on a high note, +Doug Dillon! Thanks, my friend. :)

3. Santosh ramamoorthy January 11, 2014 at 9:26 pm - Reply

Beautiful view

4. Mark Barrus January 11, 2014 at 9:55 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash the shadowing on the granite makes me want to get out my repel gear. I can imagine 4 people on the rock just looking at it. A rock climbers dream.

5. Izydor Olszewski January 12, 2014 at 12:33 am - Reply

BEAUTIFUL. Greetings.

6. Neil Howard January 12, 2014 at 1:51 am - Reply

Great work +Brian Matiash I really like what you have created here! And I agree 100% This is YOUR artwork, YOU own it, audience acceptance (and criticism!) is incidental! Use your own rules for what you produce.  I have my own rules & you have yours, and what you produce is yours. Vive la Difference!
    BTW, If you want to see & hear me (finally!) Have a peek at this #hangoutonair http://goo.gl/S4hOsD  25th Jan

7. Morrie Fink January 12, 2014 at 3:12 am - Reply

I think the image looks great! Nice Job

8. Stuart Shanks January 12, 2014 at 4:05 am - Reply

NOSTRODAMUS NOSTROADMUS JUST ONE MAN FOLLOW MY POST, THANK YOU

9. Robin Griggs Wood January 12, 2014 at 5:34 am - Reply

Great post, Brian!

10. Martin Heller January 12, 2014 at 10:51 am - Reply

There are a lot of things to like about this image and this essay. Let me start with the essay: "…you just need to stop worrying so much about what you should or shouldn't do with your images and just enjoy doing what you want to do with them."

Yes!! The tyranny of doing creative work for clients or an imagined public audience is stifling. Given your history as the (great) tutorial-video-maker at OnOne I can imagine that "showing the right thing" often trumped having fun with your processing, at least in your mind.

As for this image: I consider leaving the foreground so close to a silhouette as gutsy as replacing the sky with Nicolesy's stock. (Was it her personally-captured stock, or her cache of bought stock? I'd guess the former, but I'd be interested to know which.) Of course there will be haters who try to tell you that compositing the sky is "bad" because it isn't photojournalistically accurate. Who cares? The early photographers in Yosemite were constantly struggling with blown-out and otherwise bland skies, and a few took to compositing images from multiple 8×10 negatives. (I can't imagine being that good with scissors myself.)

Short summary: It works. And pretty spectacular detail and tonal range from the A7.

11. Neil Howard January 12, 2014 at 11:08 am - Reply