What once was and what now is

By |2014-01-10T10:34:42+00:00Jan 10th, 2014|
I was in the mood to grunge it up a bit with today’s post and harked back to an image of an abandoned mill near Lawrence, MA, taken in 2010 with my good bud, +Bob Lussier. We’d head out to these locations on random weekends and have the entire area pretty much to ourselves, making it really easy to take our time and experiment with finding different compositions. I certainly have some very fond memories of roaming around and within these buildings.

Purchase this print

1. Vincent Orleck January 10, 2014 at 10:23 am - Reply

Have you ever had the chance to do anything similar in Rhode Island? Lots of these types of abandoned old mills and warehouses that are very photogenic and stoic.

2. SANJOY MOULIK January 10, 2014 at 10:52 am - Reply

Very nice!

3. Elizabeth Weimann January 10, 2014 at 11:06 am - Reply

Funny thing is I took one look at the image and suspected right away it was from Lawrence or Lowell, and then I scolded myself for thinking that only MA has abandoned mills.  Now I don't know what to think.

4. Michael McGimpsey January 10, 2014 at 12:10 pm - Reply

Super grunge. Love it.

5. John VanRoekel January 10, 2014 at 12:40 pm - Reply

I usually love your shots, but this one is just too heavy-handed on the HDR for my taste.
    I think the shot itself is great.  It's the post processing that gets me.

6. Venus rad January 10, 2014 at 1:10 pm - Reply

beautiful

7. john williams January 10, 2014 at 1:43 pm - Reply

to: john Vanroekel, its suggested that you keep negative comments to yourself. its a known fact that people who give negatives reviews are negative themselves. google+ is, by its very nature, a positive venue.

john williams

8. John VanRoekel January 10, 2014 at 1:49 pm - Reply

+john williams There is a difference between constructive criticism and negativity, and I trust +Brian Matiash to let me know if I cross the line.
    In the meantime I promise not to apply either to your stream.

9. Brian Matiash January 10, 2014 at 2:04 pm - Reply

It's all good, +john williams. I appreciate your vigilance in trying to ensure a positive atmosphere around there parts.

I took absolutely no offense to +John VanRoekel's criticism. I can empathize with some of it and don't necessarily agree with others. While I certainly can relate to not always being a fan of particular post processing decisions made by photographers on their photos, I respect that it is their work and their ultimate decision. Unless explicitly asked, though, I don't usually offer that up sort of feedback in public, though. Not that it's anything that should be condemned. John was tasteful with how he expressed himself – far more so than others who have done similar on my work. :)

What I don't agree with as it relates to John's criticism is that it's 'too heavy-handed on the HDR'. The histogram reveals that tone curve of this image is actually exposed quite evenly with no visible, tell-tale indicators of 'bad HDR'… at least none that I can see. Ultimately, whether the stylization appeals to you as a viewer, or not, rarely is of concern to me. I'm not trying to be haughty by any means. Rather, I stylize for myself and for my own enjoyment – not for anyone else. I share my photos for others to enjoy… or to not enjoy. :)

10. John VanRoekel January 10, 2014 at 2:43 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash Thank you.  And I do totally agree that at the end of the day the decision is yours, and more importantly, the only person who's approval your work requires is your own.

The reason that I even brought this one up is that the vast majority of the time I agree with your choices fully.  That is to say, that while I may not have made the same choice personally, I realize that your choice was absolutely correct for what you were trying to do (Yes, I really do like your photography) and so seeing one that struck me as being "off' (to my eye) was odd.  Were you the kind of person who consistently posted shots not to my taste, then I would not have said a thing (or even really looked) But the fact that I didn't love this one made me take note.

As for the quantity of post-processing, I will confess that there are shots of yours that were "Heavier" on the HDR that nonetheless did not bug me at all (I really like the "Corn Patrol" Pontiac for example) but this one strikes me as being over the top for whatever reason.
    As for what you should do with my opinion. . .   Well, whatever you want.  You can totally ignore it, and I will not feel offended in the least.  You can be curious as to why I singled this one out (I am not 100% sure myself, but I can speculate if you are truly curious), you can acknowledge the data point and move on, or you can even even weep bitter tears (although that would be kind of silly)
    Anyhow have a great weekend.
    And keep posting : )