HDRSoft releases Photomatix 5!

By |2013-12-29T18:48:40+00:00Nov 20th, 2013|
I’ve used just about every tone-mapping product out there in the years that I’ve incorporated HDR with my photography. Ultimately, I’ve always found the results that Photomatix produces to be most favorable for me. Whenever anyone asks me which product they should use for tone-mapping, I always recommend that they download the trial installers of each, run the same sets of brackets through ’em, and make an educated decision as to which fits best. It’s also important to note that you don’t have to use just one! There are times when HDR Efex Pro by Nik suits my needs for a particular photo.

In any case, HDRSoft announced a big update to their popular Photomatix product line with v5. You can learn more over at their site: http://www.hdrsoft.com/. This photo was tone-mapped with Photomatix and then stylized using Nik Color Efex Pro 4. I took it on a recent urbex shoot with +Todd Sipes and +Dan Hughes.

1. Kathie Hale November 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

WOW!  Powerful.

2. ed roppo November 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

I have also tried many, many tonemapping products and I agree that Photomatix is overall the best. It produces the cleanest images with a lot of latitude for further refinement.

My runner-up is HDR Efex Pro, but it tends to crush highlights and produce more noise artifacting.

Once upon a time, FDR Tools led the pack IMO, but they seemed to stall in development and I went back to Photomatix for nearly everything.

3. Joel Horwath November 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Great writeup +Brian Matiash .  I've also found that one photo may look better using Photomatix, whereas another photo looks better using HDR Efex Pro.  Both great tools.  Can't wait to try out v5!

4. Debra Woodman November 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

k. you guys are way ahead of me, but why can't you just use picassa?

5. Marc Briggs November 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Spooky looking place!

6. Sunny Wu November 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Wonderful!

7. Adam Cantrell November 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

stairway goes both ways

8. Al Zwikker November 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Bet you snapped the photo and got the hell outa there!

9. Brian Matiash November 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm - Reply

+Al Zwikker Nah, it wasn't that bad in there. Been in far creepier places. :)

10. Brian Matiash November 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm - Reply

+Adam Cantrell That's awesome.

11. Arne Lepla November 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm - Reply

Interior…Time…Light…YES…

12. Marco Ranieri November 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm - Reply

It's the stairway to Urbex heaven! Love it. Can't wait to get my mitts on Photomatix 5 too…

13. Jonathan Goody November 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash I just downloaded the update. Thanks.

14. Jim Jensen November 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm - Reply

Thank you for the heads up downloading as I speak always have had a good experience with this prgram

15. Pieter Pretorius November 20, 2013 at 6:40 pm - Reply

I hope Google follows with an update of HDR Efex Pro, it does need that, I think +Brian Matiash.

16. Brian Matiash November 20, 2013 at 6:40 pm - Reply

+Pieter Pretorius Feedback noted. :)

17. Lisa Hogan Autry November 25, 2013 at 6:40 pm - Reply

-111

18. Peter Michael December 1, 2013 at 11:39 am - Reply

I found that for shooting interiors for the cleanest images that Photomatix is still too dirty and hazy. I have just about every HDR/Tonemapping/Fusion product you can get for MAC. After reading about Photomatix in this post and a few others I fired up Version 4 and immediately got the update (free for version 4 owners).

I guess it depends on what you want to do with your images, if you want the Grunge look then Photomatix is probably the best choice, but if you want clean interior  images you have to go elsewhere like using LREnfuse (Lightroom plug-in) or my current favourite HDR Expose 3 which produces terrific results for the kind of images I need to supply to my clients.

Just comparing the two results without a lot of work in either Expose 3 and Photomatix Pro 5 to get a base image, Expose 3 in my opinion wins hands down, especially for clarity, tonal contrast and fine detail.

As for HDR Efex Pro, I was dearly disappointed with that NIK product, even after I purchased the last upgrade. I love the other Nik stuff but that one sits at the bottom of my list and never gets used any longer.

Each program has it's advantages and I think the ghosting feature in Photomatix is it's strong point, but so far I have been able to get the same results with Expose 3. The big thing for me with Expose 3 is the glare removal tool, gets rid of the haze  and soft look you are stuck with in Photomatix.

That all said, do what Brian suggests and download as many of the trials as you can, process the same images in each and reach your own conclusion.

19. Jean Michel DHAINAUT December 9, 2013 at 12:30 am - Reply

Salut +Brian Matiash c'est l'état de ton bureau après des essais de scintillement  ? :-))))