Serendipity in action

By |2013-12-29T19:42:23+00:00Mar 27th, 2013|

I really was overwhelmed yesterday by the amount of kind and positive responses to my announcement of joining Google as the Community Manager for Google+ Photos. Typically, I don’t really publicly discuss the gears and machinations of my personal life, especially as it relates to the back end of my professional one but I felt it would be appropriate to share this image as it will serve as a visual indicator to how this whole change played out.

You see, 95% of the process for me filling this role took place while I was over 7,000 miles away from home. Virtually all of the meetings and conversations were done via hangouts and GMail. It was a Google process through and through.

And then the fateful call came in just as the sun began to rise, around 5AM local time in the Barossa Region of Australia. The first words: The good news is that I’ve got good news. A simple, yet profoundly impacting statement. When I turned around to look for Nicole S. Young, this is the exact sight I saw. Please believe me that this is 100% exactly how it played out. A beautiful double rainbow over the room we were staying in.

If that isn’t a sign to scream I ACCEPT!, then I don’t know what is.

And with that, let the Double Rainbow references begin. :)

I can’t honestly remember what I did to this image as far as stylization goes which is atypical for me. From the looks of it, I don’t think I did too much to it.

I do remember making a cognitive decision not to correct for the distortion with the vertical lines. I felt that there was a sort of piousness in the way the hotel was bowing towards the rainbows so I left it be.

1. Rachel Sifers March 27, 2013 at 8:00 am - Reply

Double rainbow all the way!! What does it mean????

2. Jake Johnson March 27, 2013 at 8:00 am - Reply

Awesome way to start such a major shift in your lives.

3. Kurt Harvey March 27, 2013 at 8:01 am - Reply

Congrats Brian and what an awesome scene to remember this event by. :)

4. Celine Gaerlan March 27, 2013 at 8:02 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash wow well donne!!!GRATZ !!

5. J Eli Felicitas March 27, 2013 at 8:04 am - Reply

What a wonderful moment to receive good news! That's awesome! Congratulations and much success to you!

6. Craig Ferguson March 27, 2013 at 8:04 am - Reply

Congrats

7. Fraucha R March 27, 2013 at 8:06 am - Reply

There are photos and unique "captures" this qualifies, to me, +Brian Matiash as clearly unique. Heck that bird will come back around, that sun will come up over that one spot on the horizon tomorrow or that leopard will slink by again, but the rainbow and the building …naw… once and once only. Way cool.

8. Krishnendu Rudra March 27, 2013 at 8:08 am - Reply

good candid

9. Mark Zukowski March 27, 2013 at 8:12 am - Reply

Congratulations, +Brian Matiash .  Sounds like a great opportunity.  I hope you and +Nicole S. Young come up to Napa/Sonoma wine country to shoot sometime.

10. Nikhilesh Singh March 27, 2013 at 8:15 am - Reply

What a timing! wonderful shot.

11. John Balboni March 27, 2013 at 8:18 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash Awesome story! Congrats again, and all the best to you!!

12. Laurie Nation March 27, 2013 at 8:20 am - Reply

Oooo. Nice!

13. Michelle Smith March 27, 2013 at 8:25 am - Reply

Beautiful capture and congrats :-)

14. Anny Kusuma March 27, 2013 at 8:59 am - Reply

nice

15. Scott King March 27, 2013 at 9:11 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash what does a community manager do? Can it be a job where said person still makes Perfect-Inspiration-Like videos?

Sidenote: This past year seems to have been a big one for both your personal and professional life. Congratulations! From sitting on the sidelines its super clear how hard you work. You've earned it.

16. Jeffrey Hancock March 27, 2013 at 9:18 am - Reply

Good luck in your new position. Congratulations.

17. Joe Wilson March 27, 2013 at 9:29 am - Reply

I'm looking forward to the community aspects of Google+ photos to only become that much better with you at the helm. Congrats again on a great new gig! :) I'm happy for you and +Nicole S. Young! We'll miss you guys here in PDX.

18. Bob Lussier March 27, 2013 at 9:29 am - Reply

Double rainbow! Congratulations to you again! I'm so happy for you!

19. Nicole S. Young March 27, 2013 at 9:49 am - Reply

It was a pretty amazing morning … a gorgeous sunrise a few feet from our hotel room, right next to a beautiful vineyard, and then a double-rainbow to top things off? AND the good news of a new amazing job for my hubby?! It's one of those moments we'll never forget. :)

20. Tressa Crozier March 27, 2013 at 9:56 am - Reply

I can't stop smiling for you, +Brian Matiash :-)

21. Greg Poulos March 27, 2013 at 10:08 am - Reply

Pretty amazing morning indeed, +Brian Matiash and +Nicole S. Young ! Congrats all around.

22. Steve Martin March 27, 2013 at 10:16 am - Reply

Congratulations!

23. Damien Jemison March 27, 2013 at 10:39 am - Reply

So now we all know what it means when we see a double rainbow.

24. Gino Barasa March 27, 2013 at 10:57 am - Reply

Hey Brian this is a great great image, but on top of that what great news about you becoming a community manager for Google Plus. I had not heard that. You and Nicole are some of the really good people on this network so I'm very happy to hear good news for you guys.

25. Brian Matiash March 27, 2013 at 11:07 am - Reply

Thank you so much, +Gino Barasa. I promise to make it go click.

26. Zuhal Nurlu March 27, 2013 at 11:38 am - Reply

Congrats Brian looks awesome !!!!

27. Tim Barber March 27, 2013 at 12:46 pm - Reply

As I have watched you from a distance as an architect, not necessarily a photography, of which I have great interest, I think this is an excellent  catch by Google.  Google + just got better because of your addtion!

28. Mike Bates March 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Good luck Brian.  Hope your move goes well and you enjoy the new job.  I look forward to what you will bring to the Google+ Photo community.  Great shot of a double rainbow, I see them but I just cannot get them on the camera for some reason, operator error.

29. Mykal Hall March 27, 2013 at 12:58 pm - Reply

So Australia will always have a special place in your heart. :) We would love for you to visit +Sydney sometime mate.

30. Gino Barasa March 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm - Reply

Thats all I ever wanted B

31. Leyla A. Roberson March 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm - Reply

Awesome capture

32. Justin Van Leeuwen March 27, 2013 at 3:20 pm - Reply

After the double rainbow, did you and +Nicole S. Young go "all the way?"

Too much?

33. Debashis Talukdar March 27, 2013 at 5:04 pm - Reply

Wow! Very cool… and definitely a sign that one cannot ignore.

34. sharath jois March 27, 2013 at 8:01 pm - Reply

What is this?!

35. Dwane Morvik March 27, 2013 at 10:29 pm - Reply

Good move!

36. Ayman Shaker March 28, 2013 at 12:19 am - Reply

good work

37. Susan Menis March 28, 2013 at 3:18 am - Reply

best wishes !

38. Kris Vockler March 28, 2013 at 7:46 pm - Reply

screamed like a baby did ya? ;)

39. Edwin Law March 29, 2013 at 6:03 pm - Reply

Hey, Brian, been watching your 'tutorials' for as long as I have been using the NIK package.  Really glad you are staying with Google and looking forward to lots more tips and tricks.

I thought the "story" of the image was that you were depicting a new location laid back with a happy rainbow.  :-)

Ed Law

40. Laurie Rubin March 30, 2013 at 12:05 am - Reply

It was meant to be and so happy that it is so! :-)

41. Vaughn Page July 4, 2013 at 9:52 pm - Reply

Every patient considering epilepsy surgery is carefully evaluated by one or more neurologists, neurosurgeons, neuropsychologists, and/or social workers. A psychiatrist, chaplain, or other spiritual advisor may help the patient and his family cope with the stress that occurs during and after the selection process.

42. Anny Kusuma October 29, 2013 at 7:23 pm - Reply

Great believe that sometime I wonder.