The Life Of A Wave

By | 2013-12-29T19:44:47+00:00 Mar 22nd, 2013|

I’ve always been a believer of knowing what your capabilities are with your camera when you’re out in the field. But, it also is worth expanding on that idea. It’s also important to know what your incapabilities are, too. It’s about knowing what you simply can’t achieve because of physics or time. It’s also about knowing what images you have to get in the field and how to achieve your vision using your digital tools back home.

In the case with this image, what you see here is the same exact wave from when it first hits the shore in the background and all the way through to my camera’s tripod. I knew that it’d be physically impossible for me to get the shot in this specific way in one exposure. So, I took three exposures knowing full well that I could blend them together during post.

I know that we spend so much time extolling the importance of getting it right in camera, and that certainly is a crucial concept, but it’s also worth remembering that there are many different roads you can take to get to your destination. It’s all about knowing where they are and how to navigate them.

On a side note, this image is used in Episode 52 of Perfect Inspiration. This is a particularly special milestones for me because it marks 1 year of posting a new episode to this series every single week without fail. I put so much of myself into it and it means the world to me that we were able to make it to this point. I hope you’ve enjoyed Perfect Inspiration as much as I have.

You can view the entire workflow video of how I edited this image right over here.

1. Laveeta Evans March 22, 2013 at 8:57 am - Reply

Gosh I think I fell in love this image.. Tis soo amazingly!

2. Sandeep Kanwar March 22, 2013 at 8:58 am - Reply

yes dear

3. George Krieger March 22, 2013 at 9:06 am - Reply

wonderful production of the shot and background information….

4. Stefan Bäurle March 22, 2013 at 9:29 am - Reply

Very dynamic. I like it.

5. Doug Jacobs II March 22, 2013 at 9:45 am - Reply

Love the feel of longer motion here!  great capture!

6. Erin Duke March 22, 2013 at 10:38 am - Reply

Amazing sense of motion! I love this, Brian! :)

7. Perry Bailey March 22, 2013 at 1:41 pm - Reply

Very cool idea!  Nice image.

8. John LeJeune March 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm - Reply

Hey Brian,

Congrats on a successful and complete year of PI. That is quite an accomplishment.

John

9. Steve Uhlman March 22, 2013 at 4:55 pm - Reply

now would be a good time to say thanks +Brian Matiash your effort shows… I've watched many of your Perfect Inspiration webinars (and that includes the webinar you did before the rollout of PerfectPhoto Suite 7) and they are always awesome, and I've learned so much!

10. Kiran Sonawane March 23, 2013 at 12:22 am - Reply

Really Nice

11. Pedro de Figueiredo March 23, 2013 at 9:56 am - Reply

That's so cool! The same wave you say? I'm off to watch the #52 now, and thanks for all the other episodes.

12. Greg MacKay March 23, 2013 at 6:37 pm - Reply

Great Shot Brian.  Great to see your work again.   (used to follow you on Flickr)     ~ Greg

13. Alan Norsworthy March 26, 2013 at 4:01 am - Reply

A year already? +Brian Matiash  it needs to be said, I try to keep up with the Perfect Inspiration episodes because over the year I have learned so much, not just about the Perfect Suite of tools but about how to visualise and work with my images in post.

Thank you for all the hard work and dedication!