The pedestrians of Face Rock

By |2013-03-16T14:34:53+00:00Mar 16th, 2013|

I took this shot when I visited Bandon, OR with +Matt Kloskowski about two months ago. There was a large grouping of these seagulls and I remember hustling to get into position so that I had Face Rock on the right and the setting sun on the left. The key was to get into position without scaring the birds. Thankfully, most of them stood relatively still during the long exposure but I’m also glad that some moved, giving that ghosting look.

The actual stylization was done in Lightroom 4.3. Mostly just exposure and color correction. I then sent the image to onOne Software FocalPoint 2 to render the background slightly out of focus.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”43.105833″ lon=”-124.436667″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE”]

1. Ron Hozeman March 16, 2013 at 9:47 am - Reply

I like the effect that there are some faded birds, it kinda gives a feeling of bird activity.

2. maksola bitad March 16, 2013 at 9:54 am - Reply

Your shot is really nice but your correction makes it un natural so keep having such photos but don't correct it coz you can not correct nature rather you take it as it is.

3. William Johnston March 16, 2013 at 10:24 am - Reply

It is hard to get a long exposure with animals in the picture

4. meg lee March 16, 2013 at 10:27 am - Reply

+maksola bitad  I find it hard to believe you are some sort of authority on nature photos.  Photography is an Art; which means the creation of it, and enjoyment of it are both subjective and true in agency and to he who beholds it.   If the artist needs to adjust the photo to represent what they see in their mind's eye, then that's what they have to do.  It is within your realm as the observer to "not like it" and say so, but an unsolicited opinion telling him how to take photos is insulting.

5. Cameron Siguenza March 16, 2013 at 10:52 am - Reply

A modern camera is an engineered product made of metal and glass with microprocessors – I want to see art as the photographer sees it, not something a camera simply produces and deposits. Nice work Brian :)

6. Kim Troutman March 16, 2013 at 10:57 am - Reply

Absolutely beautiful

7. Darren Neupert March 16, 2013 at 12:50 pm - Reply

"morning commute"

8. Ashley Bieber March 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm - Reply

That is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Paul Davies March 16, 2013 at 4:03 pm - Reply

beautiful

10. Eileen O'Sullivan March 16, 2013 at 5:31 pm - Reply

This a stunning photo. I am looking at it. It's so serial. Like your there. It's wonderful work.

11. Yassine Wah March 16, 2013 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Nice :)

12. Farzad Ghasemzadeh March 16, 2013 at 9:47 pm - Reply

nice:)))))))))))))

13. Thomas Eriksson March 16, 2013 at 11:36 pm - Reply

Wow as always +Brian Matiash I love the colors in this one. And thank you for all your work on the perfect inspiration series, it has helped me tremendously!

14. Julia Peterson March 17, 2013 at 7:44 am - Reply

puuurrrdy +Brian Matiash

15. Darryl Zummo April 9, 2013 at 8:56 pm - Reply

I just added this weblog to my feed reader, great stuff. Can’t get enough!

16. Elfrieda Willens August 3, 2013 at 10:19 am - Reply

Thanks for your helpful article. One other problem is that mesothelioma is generally caused by the inhalation of dust from mesothelioma, which is a extremely dangerous material. It truly is commonly found among individuals in the construction industry that have long experience of asbestos. It can be caused by residing in asbestos covered buildings for long periods of time, Genetics plays an important role, and some consumers are more vulnerable on the risk compared to others.