Melbourne and its laneways

By | 2013-03-13T10:01:34+00:00 Mar 13th, 2013|

This post is coming to you live from 32,000 feet in the air. We landed safely in LAX after a 14 hour flight from Australia and even managed to get on an earlier flight back to Portland (bonus!).

If there is one part of Melbourne that truly stuck out for me, it was its laneways. Nicole and I got to explore some of the funkier and charismatic ones during our lovely Photowalk last week. These narrow alleys were brimming with amazing and creative wall art, posters, and bills that really brought life to what would otherwise be just another path in between streets.

For this image, I was experimenting with the Sony RX-1 to see how well is handles dynamic range in a single exposure. As you can see here, it did quite a remarkable job. However, after using this camera for 2.5 weeks, I do feel confident to say that it just isn’t for me. It really is a powerhouse but it’s probably better suited for a different sort of photographer. Still, it really was wonderful to be able to use the camera for this duration to really get a feel for it.

All of the b&w and editing conversions were done using the Develop module of Lightroom 4.3.

1. Mark Watson March 13, 2013 at 1:14 pm - Reply

Great shot.

2. Nate Parker March 13, 2013 at 2:07 pm - Reply

Oh yeah!

3. Scott Starks March 13, 2013 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Nice capture. So what sort of photographer is the camera for?

4. Brian Matiash March 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm - Reply

+Scott Starks I guess that's something that you'd have to figure out for yourself. I just know that it isn't for me.

5. Kenneth Lee March 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Very nice..good depth

6. Dave Surber March 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm - Reply

nice picture

7. Harry Mellos March 13, 2013 at 11:41 pm - Reply

Love my city and your image :)

8. Lara Bartlam March 14, 2013 at 1:35 am - Reply

You've made us look quite European. After more than a decade here I'm still finding groovy little spots to explore. Melbourne's a young city compared to the rest of the world but we do laneways and creativity really well. Lovely shot.

9. Daniel Treadwell March 14, 2013 at 6:17 am - Reply

Beautifully shot +Brian Matiash.  I'll have to pay closer attention to the laneways next time I am down there.  It's a shame you both couldn't stay for the big photowalk next week.

10. Sandra Parlow March 14, 2013 at 9:39 pm - Reply

THis looks like a dark and gritty scene from a video game!  cool!

11. Boris Manic March 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm - Reply

great!

12. author khalil March 16, 2013 at 11:17 pm - Reply

i like it

13. Randolph Patneaude April 20, 2013 at 1:30 am - Reply

A poster is any piece of printed paper designed to be attached to a wall or vertical surface. Typically posters include both textual and graphic elements, although a poster may be either wholly graphical or wholly text. Posters are designed to be both eye-catching and informative. Posters may be used for many purposes. They are a frequent tool of advertisers (particularly of events, musicians and films), propagandists, protestors and other groups trying to communicate a message. Posters are also used for reproductions of artwork, particularly famous works, and are generally low-cost compared to original artwork.”