Approaching things differently

By |2013-03-10T21:51:56+00:00Mar 10th, 2013|

Earlier this morning, we visited the Cape Otway Lightstation. Despite it being a ridiculous 34C outside, the sky was actually gorgeous and the clouds were rolling along at a good clip. Plus, we had some coastal breeze.

One of the first things that I challenged myself to do here was to approach this shot differently. I knew that I wanted to use a wide lens, so I slapped on my Canon 14mm f/2.8L prime. That lens sucks in just about 180 degrees of goodness. I also wanted to get a shoot facing into the sun but using the Lighthouse as a shield of sorts. It worked out well especially because of the specific height of the sun.

Finally, one of the things I love most about the Canon 14mm lens is that it accepts rear gels. I have several ND gels cut to fit so I used approximately 13-stops worth of ND (one 10-stop and one 3-stop). This gave me a nice, long exposure, allowing me to capture the motion in the clouds.

For now, we’re bunkered up at our lodge, avoiding this heat. We’ll likely hit sunset at Wreck Beach and then do sunrise and a helicopter tour tomorrow over the Apostles. Then it’s a trek back to Melbourne and a flight back home to the US the following morning! This truly has been a monumental trip, Australia.

Another Lightroom-only job here. I used a Nicole S. Young Lovely Landscape Lightroom preset to get the base look and then finished it up with the rest of the Develop Module.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”-38.856944″ lon=”143.511667″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE”]

1. Patrick Parker March 10, 2013 at 9:39 pm - Reply

Beautiful results! :-)

2. Craig Francisco March 10, 2013 at 10:00 pm - Reply

Wreck beach is an awesome location to shoot!

3. Brian Matiash March 10, 2013 at 10:03 pm - Reply

+Craig Francisco Can't wait! I think we'll be in luck as far as low-tide timing and sunset.

4. Craig Francisco March 10, 2013 at 10:06 pm - Reply

Just keep an eye on that tide +Brian Matiash we don't want you making the late news…

5. Brian Bonham March 10, 2013 at 11:18 pm - Reply

I have a really funny comment to post here that is phalic photographically relevant but I'm kind of  tired to write it all out.

6. Le Luo March 10, 2013 at 11:26 pm - Reply

Erect toward the sky! :D

7. Debashis Talukdar March 11, 2013 at 3:17 am - Reply

The last time I was up there, it was before I even had a wide-angle lens… next time, I'm going to plan staying overnight at the Lighthouse on a clear moonless night.

8. Fathima Sabrina March 11, 2013 at 3:25 am - Reply

beautiful

9. Damien Parker March 11, 2013 at 3:27 am - Reply

next time try and make it to western Australia it has landscapes like never

10. Paul Toomey March 11, 2013 at 4:05 am - Reply

C'mon, 34°C isn't that hot! Try the 40s earlier this year. Great pic btw and like how you used the 14mm.

11. Dean Power March 11, 2013 at 2:27 pm - Reply

Are you and +Nicole S. Young coming Byron Bay on your tour? Would be delighted to hook you up with the Local Tourism Org, Operators, out of the way sights. I'm sure you have TA peeps doing that, but happy to help if its useful.

12. Brian Matiash March 12, 2013 at 2:43 am - Reply

+Dean Power That's too kind to offer! Unfortunately, our entire two weeks here were tightly regimented and planned by Tourism Australia. Although, it does give us a very good reason to come back!

13. Dean Power March 12, 2013 at 2:47 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I thought as much. I should imagine the TA guys left Byron Bay off the list cause they are trying to keep it a secret for themselves, can't blame them :) I'm enjoying the images you guys are producing. All the best.