As The Light Shines Down

By | 2013-02-25T09:12:59+00:00 Feb 25th, 2013|

We’ve stil got the better part of the day before our flight to Australia, so I figured that it would be good form to share an image similar to what I’m hoping to see as we’re burning rubber down the Great Ocean Road. I know that we’ve got a helicopter ride scheduled to fly over the 12 Apostles, so I’ve been doing some research in terms of what would make a compelling frame. I’ll be slinging my 5D3 with a long lens (Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and Canon 1.4x TC III, courtesy of BorrowLenses.com) and the 5D2 with either the Canon 24-105 f/4L IS or the much wider Canon 14mm f/2.8L II. I’m not sure yet.

BorrowLenses.com also supplied me with the luscious Sony RX-1 to field test while in Oz. In the few hours that I’ve already spent with it, I can tell you that it continues to make me weep gently on the inside over just how beautiful it is and how sharp the images turn out.

In the meantime, here’s a shot of sunrise over Bandon Ocean Wayside. :)

Not much done here other than some basic editing in Lightroom 4.3. Never underestimate the power of the Develop Module. :)

Click here to view larger or to purchase a print of this image.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”43.106944″ lon=”-124.434722″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE”]

1. Juana Reascos February 25, 2013 at 9:06 am - Reply

Wonderful

2. mohamed eladawy February 25, 2013 at 9:09 am - Reply

Wonderful

3. sabine CHAREYRE February 25, 2013 at 9:11 am - Reply

magnifique

4. Erin Duke February 25, 2013 at 9:19 am - Reply

Stunning, Brian! I LOVE Great Ocean Road, so I look forward to seeing those images later on. This is a fabulous capture of a part of the country I’m in serious need of visiting. Love the water movement. It’s all just gorgeous.

5. Stewart Brebnor February 25, 2013 at 9:45 am - Reply

Very Majestic and Grand

6. Ghassan Azmouz February 25, 2013 at 10:03 am - Reply

V. Nice

7. eman alsayed February 25, 2013 at 10:12 am - Reply

روووووووووووووووعه

8. bettina kloeckner February 25, 2013 at 10:13 am - Reply

This photo could be painted. In the colors there is so much energy.

9. Dan Tauro February 25, 2013 at 10:22 am - Reply

Very Nice!

10. Mason Marsh February 25, 2013 at 10:40 am - Reply

Shooting from helos is a lot of fun. When you go, ask the pilot if you can take the door off (best done prior to departure). Most are cool with it. I've had good luck with wide zooms. The IS in the 70-200 and 24-105 will help. Another thing that helps is to not have your lens hoods on, they tend to buffet when you have them stuck out in the rotorwash.
    I am soooo verrrry jealous! The Apostles is one of those locations I dream about. Have fun!

11. Brian Matiash February 25, 2013 at 11:12 am - Reply

+Mason Marsh Those are some rock solid tips, thank you!! When I return, we'll definitely get back on and find some time to do that coastal shoot.

12. Mason Marsh February 25, 2013 at 11:29 am - Reply

No worries. You're a busy man.
    One more helo tip…. wear that seatbelt tight!

13. farah godoy February 25, 2013 at 1:08 pm - Reply

Hermoso!!

14. Tony Crigan February 25, 2013 at 1:31 pm - Reply

Remember to allow plenty of time if you're taking the Great Ocean Road; plenty of rubber-neckers make for a slow drive. And one more aerial photography tip: don't have any identifying marks on the camera. You don't want anyone knowing it was you if it rains Canons on them. You'll have the time of your life.

15. Pete Collins February 25, 2013 at 2:22 pm - Reply

You need to make the rock on the right into a lions head… just sayin' :D

16. Robin Floyd February 25, 2013 at 2:44 pm - Reply

Very pretty.

17. Simara CorPul February 25, 2013 at 4:37 pm - Reply

Majestuoso paisaje

18. Brian Matiash February 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm - Reply

+Pete Collins just ask +Matt Kloskowski what I named some of those rocks… :)

19. Peter C February 26, 2013 at 3:10 am - Reply

If only you were doing live tutorials in Melbourne while in OZ :(
    Enjoy the trip, be safe on the road and can’t wait for the amazing shots I know you will get.

20. zaeema javed February 26, 2013 at 10:13 pm - Reply

Wow what a beautiful scean it is