A Return To Basics

By | 2013-02-24T09:59:02+00:00 Feb 24th, 2013|

Yesterday was a most delightful day spent returning back to my roots of shooting good ol’ grunge and UrbEx brackets with the great Amy Heiden. Between the general wackiness and hilarity that usually accompanies hanging with any member of our crazy bard coupled with the euphoria of walking down totally ravaged hallways of forgotten buildings, I can say that it was the perfect way to settle down before preparing for a 2.5 week sojourn in Australia ( we leave TOMORROW!!! )

For this image, I put my camera a special tripod yoga position certainly fit for its own caption on Trey Ratcliff‘s Camerasutra t-shirt. By letting the camera dangle over the rail with my Funk Buster 15mm Fisheye lens on, I was able to accentuate the natural curviness of this stairwell. Funkalicious!

The first step was to tone-map this HDR image using Photomatix Pro. You wouldn’t be able to see anything outside of those windows without this process. Plain and simple.

Very easy stuff here from here. I simply applied one of Nicole S. Young‘s Retro Film Lightroom 4 presets and adjusted to taste. :)

I then brought the image into onOne Software FocalPoint 2 to render the very bottom floor just slightly out of focus to give the illusion of depth.

1. Deana Lamb February 24, 2013 at 11:48 am - Reply

Love this!! Did you find a little doorway under those stairs?

2. Trey Ratcliff February 24, 2013 at 11:57 am - Reply

I know when you squatted down, the fisheye would come out.

3. Margaret George February 24, 2013 at 12:19 pm - Reply

This is my sort of photography.  Reality through a telescope!

4. Brian Matiash February 24, 2013 at 1:14 pm - Reply

+Trey Ratcliff Mostly when I squat down, other people's fisheyes would come out.

5. Scott King February 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash did you prop open the door or was it like that when you found it?

6. Brian Matiash February 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm - Reply

+Scott King Every door was exactly like that. We didn't touch any of them

7. Scott King February 24, 2013 at 2:55 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash Thats creepy. I also think it really helps with the overall story within the photo so was just curious.