Signal Beacon

By | 2013-01-16T17:19:19+00:00 Jan 7th, 2013|

Another little ditty that I stumbled on while digging through the archive attic. Another little reason why I need to get back to the Oregon coast tout de suite. Who doesn’t love astral photography at the base of Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach?

I wanted to give Dave Morrow’s Under The Stars Lightroom 4 Preset Pack a whirl here and I’m glad I did. In a single click, I was able to apply a preset that got me about 85% of the way to the finished image. The final tweak were done in the Develop module of Lightroom 4.

Dave is a ridiculously talented PacNW photographer. If you aren’t following him, you probably should rectify that. You can also purchase his aforementioned Preset Pack here: http://www.davemorrowphotography.com/p/under-stars-lightroom-4-presets.html

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”45.88471″ lon=”-123.96799″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 852 /]

1. Debra Denton January 7, 2013 at 9:42 am - Reply

Fantastic to be able to see the sky like that.

2. Chris Bagley January 7, 2013 at 9:42 am - Reply

Love the subtle beauty of this Brian! And ya, Dave rocks for I too have his preset package for LR :)

3. Rachel Delaney January 7, 2013 at 9:47 am - Reply

Magical

4. Dave Morrow January 7, 2013 at 9:56 am - Reply

awesome image +Brian Matiash, really glad you like those presets. Thanks for the shout out, much appreciated:)

5. Chris Lazzery January 7, 2013 at 9:57 am - Reply

Oh yes. I remember this. Let's go back.

6. Kat Tehranchik January 7, 2013 at 9:57 am - Reply

I recognize that rock!

7. Maniraj Muthu January 7, 2013 at 9:59 am - Reply

all photographs is very nice …thankyou brian.

8. Brian Matiash January 7, 2013 at 10:00 am - Reply

+Chris Lazzery Get on a plane, sucker.

9. Justin Balog January 7, 2013 at 10:23 am - Reply

Nice! Just bought +Dave Morrow presets to use on an image I shot up in the Colorado Rockies over the new year. Thanks +Brian Matiash  for the info!

10. Michael D. Krochter January 7, 2013 at 10:39 am - Reply

what time of year would you say would be best time to visit?

11. MiGy Sawanay January 7, 2013 at 10:41 am - Reply

nice photo!

12. Kelly Shipp January 7, 2013 at 1:12 pm - Reply

Nice photo!
    Too bad it's a "lightroom" pack.

13. Brian Matiash January 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm - Reply

+Kelly Shipp Thank you. But out of curiosity, why is it "too bad it's a lightroom pack"?

14. Kelly Shipp January 7, 2013 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Brian – because very few use Lightroom.  I certainly don't.  If it were a Photoshop action/etc, I would be interested.  :)

15. Brian Matiash January 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm - Reply

+Kelly Shipp Not to argue with you but given that I work in the photography software industry, I can tell you first hand that a massive amount of photographers use Lightroom almost exclusively.

16. Chris Bagley January 7, 2013 at 2:28 pm - Reply

Just as an interesting side point +Kelly Shipp, when Scott Kelby came to Toronto for a photography seminar he asked the several hundred of us "who uses Lightroom?" 99% of us raised our hands.
    Sorry +Brian Matiash, I don't mean to steer the conversation away from the point of this post. I was just surprised by Kelly's statement is all. No argument intended nor would I imply that not using LR makes anyone less of a photographer or unable to properly process an image. :)

17. Dave Morrow January 7, 2013 at 3:53 pm - Reply

+Kelly Shipp Gotta agree with +Brian Matiash & +Chris Bagley. Even If I didn't use LR to post process, which I do, I would still use it as a storage library for my RAW files. LR is much more user friendly for making presets and using them as well. It is an extremely powerful tool. Don't get me wrong, I love Photoshop actions especially for luminosity masking, I just don't think they are the right thing to use for my Star Presets…

PS: Just from selling these presets I know at least 500 people use Lightroom 4 as of today, I have a hunch there may be more;)

PSS: Get LR, it will change your life:)

18. Porfirio Pires January 7, 2013 at 8:37 pm - Reply

Who show' the pics they take, as they saw it, without manipulation with software ? 1% raised our hands … the only true photographers that show others what they saw in the viewfinder …

19. Dave Morrow January 7, 2013 at 9:09 pm - Reply

+Porfirio Pires I do not at all agree with that but it's your lucky night… Putting rules on photography and art is what's wrong with the world. Enjoy

20. Jonathan Bell January 8, 2013 at 2:50 am - Reply

+Porfirio Pires you can see some of my unedited shots in this behind the scenes shoot, I hope you agree that the final edited shots are far superior?? The final edited shots are not the unedited ones you see in the video to be honest. The only reason for putting them in there was to show the process of working the light and angles. Enjoy :-)https://plus.google.com/104564063323833095008/posts/8JhDuPJZMHX