Sky High Over PDX

By | 2013-01-16T17:26:41+00:00 Jan 3rd, 2013|

Leave it to Brian Bonham to have a blue moon idea. Brian, Lars Gustafson, his sister, Erin Gustafson, and I romped around Portland in the frigid cold with no real agenda on Jan 1st. With a boring sky and nothing really piquing our interests, we retired to a Stumptown Coffee to warm up and get all caffeinated. It wasn’t until Nicole S. Young texted me to let me know about the amazing sky that we all bolted out to try and catch it.

This is where Brian came out to shine. He saw a tall parking garage nearby and hatched a plan to make it to the top floor. It was from here that we were treated to some sweet vantage points of our home. It was a great time… until we got kicked out by a security guard. :)

This is a seven exposure tone-mapped HDR image using Photomatix Pro. I stylized by blending Kryptonite, Golden Hour Enhancer, and Blue Dawn in Perfect Effects 4 by onOne Software.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.3.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”45.521597″ lon=”-122.674079″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 852 /]

1. Tawni Henlin January 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm - Reply

Nice vantage point, and nice shot! Boo security guard.

2. Adrian McHarg January 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm - Reply

Awesome shot!

3. Nebraska Lucas January 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm - Reply

Are those people related to a Hannah Gustafson?

4. Sanjay Sharma January 3, 2013 at 8:54 pm - Reply

nice place

5. Rich Williams January 3, 2013 at 8:55 pm - Reply

This right here is my kind of shot! Killer use of the fish, B-Money.

6. Eric Bass January 3, 2013 at 8:55 pm - Reply

Great Fisheye view:)  I need to scamper up one of these "garages" sometime!

7. Rich Williams January 3, 2013 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Just read about the security guard. Bummer, dude.

8. Brian Matiash January 3, 2013 at 9:00 pm - Reply

+Rich Williams Yeah man. These things do happen but they're much nicer about it here than back east – that much is for certain. Thanks for the kind words, too!

9. Angie Smith January 3, 2013 at 9:06 pm - Reply

What?  A security guard at a parking structure?  Not that I park in them very often, but the only security I've seen in a parking structure downtown is the attendent in the booth.  I'm digging this shot a lot more than that other Brian's chuck shot from the same local.

10. Wick Sakit January 3, 2013 at 9:09 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash You can get an excellent shot from the top floor of The Nines Restaurant as well :)

11. Lars Gustafson January 3, 2013 at 9:12 pm - Reply

Nice shot, dude. I like the distortion.

& those people, +Nebraska Lucas? Those people?!? Why I never.  _harumph_

Oh, and I don't know who (or what) that is, so… I don't think we are (?). shrug

12. Karen Herrera January 3, 2013 at 9:59 pm - Reply

Very Creative and Original! U Truely R talented. Absolutely awesome shot here my friend.

13. Damien Jemison January 3, 2013 at 10:01 pm - Reply

I always come up with great ideas when I've had a few Blue Moon's too… oh, wait. Nevermind :

14. Kevin La Rue January 3, 2013 at 10:33 pm - Reply

Nice shot Brian – for once a very interesting fisheye image which I usually shy away from. Glad the sky worked out and the processing is unquestionably killer.  ;-)

15. Alize Marlow January 3, 2013 at 10:43 pm - Reply

Love the angle

16. Brian Bonham January 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm - Reply

Geez Bri, I always have fantastic ideas, you're just too busy blabberin' to hear them.  And I'm surprised my red chucks don't show hanging in this sweet shot.

17. Brian Matiash January 3, 2013 at 11:20 pm - Reply

Thanks much, +Kevin La Rue . One day, you and I will be at the same place long enough to go out on a shoot together. I hope your 2013 is starting off well!

18. Ram Pratap January 4, 2013 at 1:05 am - Reply

welll nice its shot prove your own fantastic ideas

19. Jasbir Singh January 4, 2013 at 1:14 am - Reply

wow

20. Mona Sorte January 4, 2013 at 3:44 am - Reply

i guess was shot by using fish eye lens???guys m i right??

21. Boris Manic January 4, 2013 at 5:35 am - Reply

nice!

22. Nicole Halsey January 4, 2013 at 6:17 am - Reply

Looks cool! :D

23. sujith manjummel January 4, 2013 at 7:50 am - Reply

cool ..

24. Luis January 4, 2013 at 10:49 am - Reply

great colours in this image Brian. What a pity that the security guard didn’t let you stay there longer for you to make even more great images.

25. Erin Gustafson January 4, 2013 at 1:50 pm - Reply