No More Squandered Opportunities

By |2013-01-16T17:27:06+00:00Jan 3rd, 2013|

One of my favorite things about living in Portland is how close I am to the coast. All it takes is about 60-90 minutes of driving and I’m treated to miles and miles of  beautiful coastal landscapes. One of my personal resolutions for 2013 is to spend more time photographing along the coast regardless of how cold or wet it may be. When I lived in Boston, I rarely visited the coast and that squandered opportunity is something that I sorely regret. I always came up with one excuse or another. It was a real shame because the coast of Massachusetts really does offer up some gorgeous landscape scenes.

This image was taken on a very cold winter day on Cape Cod. I believe it was in Chatham, actually. I used my 17mm Tilt Shift lens to skew the plane of focus over the forward part of this boat.

This is a nine exposure tone-mapped HDR image using Photomatix Pro. I applied Blue Dawn on the sky, a bit of Golden Hour Enhancer on the brush and a custom Tone Enhancer on the boats – all using Perfect Effects 4 by onOne Software.

Final touches were applied using Lightroom 4.3.

1. Marco Ranieri January 3, 2013 at 11:04 am - Reply

Squandered opportunities and the regret that goes with them are something very familiar to me. You have convinced me to change that starting today. Thank you.

2. BA Newson January 3, 2013 at 11:06 am - Reply

on my days off in Hawaii (which is nothing but coast! lol) I had a spot I enjoyed and photo'd through the seasons as it changed..I really enjoy those photos being off the island now.

3. Joe Wilson January 3, 2013 at 11:16 am - Reply

Very nice!

4. Wick Sakit January 3, 2013 at 11:17 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash maybe ill run into you one of these days! I love shooting around Florence but the Gorge has been my baby lately!

5. Bob Harbison January 3, 2013 at 11:37 am - Reply

I love the Oregon Coast. It's just so much cooler than the Washington Coast. (Sorry, WA, I love this state, but Oregon has you beat on this one…)
    You are indeed lucky to be that close. I'd be there a lot if I lived in Portland. Of course I've got Mt Rainier about as far away, so I'm lucky too..

6. Deb Uscilka January 3, 2013 at 11:38 am - Reply

This Boston Girl has visited the OR coast and it's beautiful! One of my favorite restaurants is on the way from Portland to the coast. You and Nicole should try it….http://www.camp18restaurant.com/ FYI the cinnamon rolls are the size of hubcaps! Not kidding! :-)

7. Frank Arbuckle January 3, 2013 at 11:47 am - Reply

Beautiful shot!

8. Jeff Weiler January 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm - Reply

Whoa, love the colors of the boats up against the dark gray of the day!

9. Shelly Gunderson January 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm - Reply

Lovely image!

10. Toni January 3, 2013 at 9:31 pm - Reply

Great shot Brian. I really miss the coast, I’m originally from Florida and Arizona has a very different landscape.

11. Boris Manic January 4, 2013 at 5:37 am - Reply

nice!

12. Sharif Tuhin January 4, 2013 at 6:17 am - Reply

So beauty

13. Thomas Chamberlin January 4, 2013 at 9:54 am - Reply

I know what you mean. I lived in Spokane for four years and rarely visited the Palouse. Oh, to have that opportunity back again!

14. Sid Richard Morris January 4, 2013 at 11:54 am - Reply

Looking forward to witnessing your "journey along the coast". . . thanks for this engrossing scene.