Bridge Over Troubled Water

By | 2013-01-16T17:30:50+00:00 Dec 30th, 2012|

I went on a wonderful little outing with Brian Bonham, Lars Gustafson and Arno Jenkins to show Katelyn McCallum some of the wonders that the Gorge has to offer while she visited town. We started out by photographing Bridal Veil Falls and then made our way to the Oneonta Gorge and Horsetail Falls. One of the nice things about having relatively ready access to this amazing area is being able to follow through with shots that were missed during previous visits.

When Brian and I first visited this location a few months ago, I hadn’t seen this particular vantage point of the flowing water and the pedestrian bridge. It was simply due to me not walking far enough back on the trail. This time, I was able to make good on it and get the shot that I had hoped for.

I combined Magic Forest, Deep Forest Glow, custom Tone and Color Enhancers and some Autumn masked onto the wooden bridge. All in Perfect Effects 4 by onOne Software.

I also used Lightroom 4.3 to add a lot of warm color temp on the upper third and left/right portions of the frame to help contrast against the cool water.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”45.555266″ lon=”-122.181108″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 852 /]

1. Barb Cochran December 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm - Reply

Killer image!  Hoping to visit PDX soon after the first of the year.  Are you and the band of nomadic roving photographers up for some more Gorge shooting?  Would love to go shoot with you guys and visit McMenamans on the way back perhaps?

2. Brian Matiash December 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm - Reply

+Barb Cochran Consider it done! You know that I'll take care of ya! Just let me know when you've got your plans firmed up and I'll get something on the docket.

3. Fernanda Silva December 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm - Reply

lindo!!

4. Barb Cochran December 30, 2012 at 7:10 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash sweet! Will let you know when I've got the dates.

5. Katelyn McCallum December 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm - Reply

Hahahahahahaha I have almost the EXACT same image…..granted I was shooting almost exactly where you were but we both had the same idea!

6. Katelyn McCallum December 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm - Reply

And I think I have been bitten by the Gorge Photography bug ;) thanks for showing me around guys! Can't wait til my next trip down

7. Anson Jett December 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm - Reply

Brian, Outstanding capture, wonderful shot!

8. Joseph Fanvu December 30, 2012 at 7:46 pm - Reply

Beautiful! Love the image you've created here

9. James T. Randall December 30, 2012 at 7:53 pm - Reply

Very nice creamy river.

10. Wick Sakit December 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash I was just there yesterday!

11. Dave December 30, 2012 at 11:12 pm - Reply

Great shot. I discovered a link that describes many of the falls of the PNW, might be of interest: http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/

12. Tehseen Shaikh December 31, 2012 at 12:23 am - Reply

beautiful:)

13. shuvatha ramesh December 31, 2012 at 1:12 am - Reply

nice….

14. Meenakshi Nirman December 31, 2012 at 3:49 am - Reply

so beautiful…..

15. gulzar keerio December 31, 2012 at 4:18 am - Reply

very nice so  beautiful

16. Scott King December 31, 2012 at 4:48 am - Reply

What's your mindset +Brian Matiash when you do an outing like this?

It's a visited location. You have other people to worry about so you can't just ditch them and do what you want. Then looking at your exif data it was midday. So was it more about scouting further and seeing the fringes of the area you hadn't before? Was it just a carefree trip? Were you winging it and focusing on whatever subject spoke to you at the time? Or what exactly was your mindset going into the walk/hike?

17. Shelly Gunderson December 31, 2012 at 8:10 am - Reply

Very pretty image!

18. Marcel Maristo December 31, 2012 at 12:46 pm - Reply

photoshop^^

19. Boris Manic January 1, 2013 at 7:41 am - Reply

beautiful!

20. Brian Matiash January 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm - Reply

+Scott King Some really great questions. The primary purpose for returning to Bridal Veil Falls after having shot there not long ago was because a friend was visiting and she had never been to any of the falls along the Gorge. So, this was more of a checklist item. The same would go for if I was back home in New York and had a friend visiting. I'd likely take them to the Empire State Building, Central Park, and the Statue of Liberty.

As far as shooting in midday, we were limited to the amount of time that we had before my friend had to leave town so we took what we could get. Thankfully, it was fairly flat lighting under the canopy of leaves and branches.

As far as my overall mindset – I was totally winging it. I had some ideas in mind of what I would have liked to get after reviewing the images from my previous shoot there so I had a bit of an agenda but it was very lax. Because I can get to these falls just about any time I want, I wasn't nearly as pressured as, say, when I'm visiting a location that I may never return to.

In general, before I go on a hike somewhere, I'll do some mild research. Enough to get the lay of the land and have some idea of what I'm getting into. But that's about it. I find that if I pour too much time into researching a location, my creativity and sense of vision gets biased and skewed from all of the other work that I would have seen.

I hope that helps! Best wishes for this 2013!

21. aakriti rajpal January 3, 2013 at 8:21 am - Reply

awsome……………

22. Vergie Luetkemeyer June 23, 2013 at 12:08 am - Reply

Horsetail contains silicon, which plays a role in strengthening bone. For that reason, it is sometimes suggested as a treatment for osteoporosis. It is also used as a diuretic, and as an ingredient in some cosmetics. However, very few studies have looked at horsetail’s effect in humans..;-*

Our favorite blog

23. Paulie grugan September 30, 2014 at 12:56 am - Reply

Nice shot Bri. When you make it to Philly I’ll be sure to bring you to my firehouse. That’s the easy part, I will take you up in the snorkel, a little over 85′ in the air. Just a flimsy bucket stands between us and certain death. Hahah it will be fun.