Down The Rabbit Hole We Go

By |2013-01-16T17:31:59+00:00Dec 29th, 2012|

Here’s another redux of an image I took way back in 2010. One of the best lessons an urban photographer can learn is that shooting at odd hours usually pays with dividends. Because most NYC subways are open 24/7, I had a bunch of these massive hallways to myself at 2AM. I love seeing environments that are usually teeming with people juxtaposed and totally empty.

This is a seven exposure tone-mapped HDR image. Stylization was achieved by combining Havana and Thermopylae in Perfect Effects 4 by onOne Software.

Final touches were applied using Lightroom 4.3.

1. Ralph Mendoza December 29, 2012 at 11:45 am - Reply

fantastic image.

2. Erika Sudz December 29, 2012 at 11:48 am - Reply

Wow

3. Kurt Laidlaw December 29, 2012 at 11:56 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I really appreciate how you share your process in Perfect Photo Suite 7. It makes the picture more meaningful to me what I can visualize what you did to get the stylization effect you were looking for.

4. PJ Ammidon December 29, 2012 at 11:57 am - Reply

Cool! Now I see what I've been missing… I try to avoid the NYC subways at 2am +Brian Matiash lol.

5. James Wall December 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Thats a brilliant picture… it almost feels like a game in first person! awesome

6. Marco Ranieri December 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash, you proved once again that the early bird gets the worm (or in this case the shot) right? Fantastic image.

7. Stewart Brebnor December 29, 2012 at 12:24 pm - Reply

I concur, it's at its best when void of the passers by whom teem daily.

8. Adam Hoke December 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Leading lines to infinity and beyond…Very well done!

9. Elkyn Orellana December 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm - Reply

Nice image. Brings back memories of my late nights.

10. Porfirio Pires December 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm - Reply

How about achieving the same with a film camera ???

11. Asmae Rahou December 29, 2012 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Great

12. Porfirio Pires December 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm - Reply

the above comment is not criticism … film pics is where the 'real' fun is … great shot.

13. Patrick Hybl December 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm - Reply

i love film photography, but with digital you can do these special types of things, I am trying to push people to not call digital photography ditital photography, I want to call it computer image making, that makes more sense to me, keep photography to strickly flim or analouge techniques

14. Gatto NineNineNine December 29, 2012 at 2:52 pm - Reply

=^.^=

15. Chance Barber December 29, 2012 at 3:30 pm - Reply

I like it. It is interesting contrast to see a normally full place empty.

16. Peter Giordano December 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm - Reply

Love the converging lines and gritty mood.

17. David Dobreski December 29, 2012 at 8:19 pm - Reply

Nice HDR composite. Just the right amount of HDR. Photographers often don't have the same restraint that you do, and they overdo the HDR look. Keep up the good work!

18. Amaia Renobales Trojaola December 30, 2012 at 2:10 am - Reply

esta foto mola, es el perfecto ejemplo para enseñar a alquien como se dibujan las fugas.

19. Porfirio Pires December 30, 2012 at 2:53 am - Reply

+Patrick Hybl don't 'get me wrong ' … I only do 'digi' nowdays … but I believe the fun is in the all processe of making a pic … if you can afford it .

20. Damien Park December 30, 2012 at 6:05 am - Reply

you still using the promote control brian

21. Elizangela silva December 30, 2012 at 8:56 am - Reply

real

22. Porfirio Pires December 30, 2012 at 8:59 am - Reply

+Gatto NineNineNine at last someone that 'kind of '' gets my point when it comes to digi photos …

23. mohsen simband December 31, 2012 at 6:44 pm - Reply