My Kodak Moment

By |2013-01-16T17:34:08+00:00Dec 28th, 2012|

I don’t know what it is about the word Snapshot that makes me cringe. It’s not like it’s a bad word or anything. And yet, when I think of snapshots, I immediately get turned off. I’ve never been one to bring my camera to parties or gatherings (aside from photowalks, of course). I don’t huddle my family or friends together and capture the moment. It’s just not who I am as a photographer.

At least, that’s what I thought… right up until Kodak came into my life.

This brand new puppy of mine, born on November 1st, 2012, has single-handedly redefined snapshooting for me and it is within this transcendence that I’ve found my inspiration for this week’s episode. I’ve come to realize that snapshooting is simply what we make of it. I suspect my goal is the same as most other snapshot photographers. Namely, we just want to capture fleeting memories. Kodak will likely double in size within six months and if I have any hope of capturing what he is like in his diminutive form, I’d better get crackin’! And here is where the photographer in me gets to come out and play. I get to bust out the long lenses and wide apertures and make art while forging personal memories of my little pup. I employ maneuvers like lying done prone on my stomach to get eye-level with Kodak. I sit and wait until the right time when he’s looking right at me before firing off a few frames. I play around with different exposure settings. I tighten up on his face. I factor in what is in my background and foreground. I turn my snapshots into my photographs.

Canon recently released a wonderful commercial (Canon commercial 2012 – “Inspired” :60), coincidentally titled ‘Inspired’, that illustrates the lengths that photographers will go to just to create memories that are special to themselves and I believe that no matter how you go about capturing your own memories, the importance lies in capturing them on your own terms as a photographer and loving every minute of it.

You can view the entire workflow video for this image by visiting this week’s episode of onOne Software’s Perfect Inspiration.

1. Tor Ivan Boine December 28, 2012 at 9:18 am - Reply

supercute :)

2. onnie hull December 28, 2012 at 9:19 am - Reply

i am a self-avowed snapshooter!! i have no recent photos of my husband, kids or grandkids, but if you want to see puppies … well, let's just say you don't have the enough time in the day to see all of those shots!! this is a wonderful shot of kodak and i look forward to those to come as you chronicle his journey from puppyhood to 'big dog' (although they're all puppies to me) ;-)

3. Marilyn Benham December 28, 2012 at 9:20 am - Reply

what a fantastic post +Brian Matiash wonderful "snap-art" & I just love little Kodak:)

4. chantoll patterson December 28, 2012 at 9:24 am - Reply

cute

5. Martha Harmon December 28, 2012 at 9:29 am - Reply

ooooo so sweet

6. Lou Horton December 28, 2012 at 9:34 am - Reply

Snapshots implies a lack of care in the act, and a lack of value in the subject. Maybe we should rename it quickshots. And you'll have to be quick with a pup in the house – they don't hang about!

7. Jaymi Heimbuch December 28, 2012 at 9:40 am - Reply

I experienced something like this in my photography when I got my dog last year too. Leave it to a puppy to change how we use a camera, and why! I can't wait to follow more images of Kodak — congratulations on the new family member, and the new outlook!

8. Susan Henry December 28, 2012 at 9:41 am - Reply

Little Kodak is precious! Your captures of him are inspiring. I too found myself crawling around on the floor, preserving moments of our little ones. It's always fun to revisit them later, they never fail to generate a smile. Thank you for allowing us to share in your journey with Kodak.

9. jennifer stayls December 28, 2012 at 10:05 am - Reply

so sweet

10. Scott Bourne December 28, 2012 at 10:14 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I know you probably get tired of answering this but what kind of dog is Kodak? He's amazing!

11. Brian Matiash December 28, 2012 at 10:17 am - Reply

+Scott Bourne Not at all! In all honesty, we know that he's a shepherd mix. My first hunch was that he was a German Shepherd but it's looking more and more likely that he's an Australian mix. He also looks like he may have some Husky in him, too.

12. Maria da Luz Garcia December 28, 2012 at 10:18 am - Reply

Que fofura!

13. William Johnston December 28, 2012 at 10:19 am - Reply

unguarded moments make some of the best pictures   I carry a camera most everywhere  Got a pocket camera that I use and the work on it in Photoshop CS3

14. Kristen Sokol December 28, 2012 at 10:32 am - Reply

such a cute puppy and i too have enjoyed many different photo taking moments in a mix of animals and scenic settings.

15. Boris Manic December 28, 2012 at 10:34 am - Reply

beautiful!

16. Tim Learmont December 28, 2012 at 10:45 am - Reply

One of my favorite photos from some puppies we had many years ago was showing them trying to climb over my legs while I was sitting on the floor. They were so small, they couldn't do that. Within a few months, they had grown enough that wasn't an issue. I'm very glad that I captured that memory, even if the framing wasn't perfect or the focus wasn't ideal.

17. William Johnston December 28, 2012 at 10:50 am - Reply

+Tim Learmont   memory photos don't have to be perfect to be enjoyed forever

18. Lesley Unwin December 28, 2012 at 11:32 am - Reply

awww very sweet

19. Bogdan Szuta December 28, 2012 at 11:46 am - Reply

And THE most important question for the day is: +Brian Matiash , did you get the model release?  :)

20. Brian Matiash December 28, 2012 at 12:22 pm - Reply

+Bogdan Szuta As the legal guardian of this minor, I'll sign the release. :)

21. Scott King December 28, 2012 at 12:32 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash Is there a difference between a "snapshot" and a "candid" photo? Or are they more or less the same genre of photography? I've just never heard a real photographer use the term "snapshot" before. That's normally something my mom or someone says.

22. Karen Hutton December 28, 2012 at 12:34 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash … you inspire me every. single. day. And now this puppy of yours is kicking that over the moon! Love you – can't wait to meet this sweet addition to the family and love on him too. Great work, always.

23. Alfredo Mora December 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Cute puppy! Love the name too. I have 2 dogs and they are wonderful companions. My border collie keeps me on my toes. Thanks for sharing Brian.

24. Brian Matiash December 28, 2012 at 2:07 pm - Reply

+Scott King you ask a good question. I guess I equate snapshot to a more mindless method of taking photos. And don't read too much into mindless either. Rather, it's more like taking images without much effort outside of recording whatever is in front of you at that moment. I see candids as capturing a moment more surreptitiously with the primary goal of unudulterating the scene.

25. Brian Matiash December 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm - Reply

+Karen Hutton you are a gem, my dear. Miss ya tons and tons.

26. MaryBeth Farrell December 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm - Reply

Dear +Brian Matiash
    First let me say, I am loving your daily shots of your new furry baby.
    Secondly, not that it comes as a surprise to me; but reading your heart felt post, that resonates with me , I realized  what a wonderful writer your are. Jut wanted to say that  Happy New Year!

27. Scott King December 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash Oh ok. There is a thin but clear difference and it's a weird thing to even try to put into words, but I get what you're saying. Thanks.

28. Amy Heiden December 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm - Reply

The only reason I'm doing photography now is because of snapshots. I got a camera as a kid and that's what I shot, photos of trips, photos of friends, etc. I definitely agree with you though, I equate snaptshots with more thoughtless shooting just to capture a moment. Not sure I would agree this is a snapshot though because it sounds like you're really planning and thinking things out beforehand.

29. derek roe December 28, 2012 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Brian, just a quick question (or two) Which is the true colour of the puppy, in the 'before he was more greyish and in your finish he;s more brown & warm. Is it just the white balance in the camera that was wrong or did you embellish the final with a warmer tone?
    I shoot a lot of 'Shelter Animals' for three local animal shelters and it's always been important to end up with the true colour of the animal in the finished shot. I usually use a off camera flash into a 'brolly' to get an accurate colour balance when working in post.
    It also helps reduce the movement/focus problems with young animals.

derek

30. rosa carballo December 28, 2012 at 3:55 pm - Reply

Que tierno perrito

31. Brycia James Kiewlak December 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Kodak is so cute!  I never get tired of puppy photos… so keep them coming!  I hope Fuji is taking this okay.

32. violet wartika December 28, 2012 at 4:26 pm - Reply

awwwwwwwww

33. Dolly S December 28, 2012 at 5:06 pm - Reply

Too often life offers surprises that turn our principles upside down! Lucky Kodak!

34. Shawn Highfill December 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm - Reply

You should have adopted +RC Concepcion dog, Evie. They had to get rid of her because of allergies. Kodak is pretty cute and I am sure hard to pass up once you met him/her.

35. Aniana Gonzales December 28, 2012 at 6:59 pm - Reply

so glad that someone may catch the moment and save it. =)

36. Donna Caughlin December 28, 2012 at 7:11 pm - Reply

This is exactly how parents go crazy :). Whether it's kids or puppies, the camera gets a workout. As far as the word snapshot, it's just a word. In all honesty, I believe most people just want to capture not only the precious moments, but capture them well. My girlfriends ask me for tips all the time, and the most common tips I give them are get on the same level of the child (or cuddly puppy), use your flash outside in full sun, and clean your lens! For the "snapshooter", those few pieces of advice make a big difference for them. They get so excited that their shared photos look so much better than before. Life is beautiful when you live in the moment. Capturing that moment can be very special. Snapshots are precious, and do not serve the purpose of art or award winning photography.
    Oh! And Kodak is absolutely adorable! :)

37. Joe Dolister December 28, 2012 at 7:37 pm - Reply

Yup, I do want a treat…. and why not?

38. Boyd Greene December 28, 2012 at 8:02 pm - Reply

Brian, I've never heard read anyone else's thoughts on photography that so well match my own.

Lovely puppy!

39. Amyn Nasser December 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm - Reply

Lovely lively puppy! Say"Pppupppyy" Brian, then say Niiiiikon "Brian" then I'll let you on in a secret!!!

40. Jayesh Patel December 29, 2012 at 12:26 am - Reply

so true pic

41. Marzena Hryń December 29, 2012 at 3:11 am - Reply

Śliczny, aż chce się go przytulić.

42. Joey J Schwartz December 29, 2012 at 3:17 am - Reply

Taking snapshots of my Birman kittens is what inspired me to start shooting again after many years away from a film camera.

43. Ramprasad DV December 29, 2012 at 4:15 am - Reply

Wow….Nice Pup!!!

44. hemanth kumar December 29, 2012 at 5:47 am - Reply

cute one

45. József Vértes December 29, 2012 at 6:53 am - Reply

Szép kutyus

46. Rich Williams December 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm - Reply

This cute-ass dog gets me everytime!  Love it.

47. Kerry Murphy December 30, 2012 at 12:05 pm - Reply

d'awwwwwwwww!

48. Mary Loveson December 30, 2012 at 9:16 pm - Reply

Hello

49. Stewart Hazell December 30, 2012 at 9:23 pm - Reply

Just caught up with this episode +Brian Matiash [it's late in the afternoon here on NYE in Australia and very quiet at work!]. What a cute dog! You said he's a rescue dog? A few of the guy's in the Newcastle Sundance Flickr group donate their time to take photos for our local dog rescue organisation. It's a great cause!

50. Charlotte Therese Björnström January 1, 2013 at 8:54 am - Reply