Salida

By | 2013-01-16T17:34:38+00:00 Dec 27th, 2012|

The office at onOne Software is very quiet this week. It’s really nice, actually, because the overall reprieve from meetings and such because I’ve been able to catch up on creating a lot of new videos. I also spent this afternoon working on a new series that I’ll kick off at some point in early 2013. It’s all about the old images redux.

This is an image taken in 2010 while sneaking into random buildings in NYC. I stumbled onto this wonderfully decrepit staircase and elevator. Everything about it was sinister. I ended up reworking it today and wanted to share it along. I look forward to sharing more revitalized images in the coming weeks and months.

This is a seven exposure tone-mapped HDR image using Photomatix Pro.

I masked Cyberpunk and Blue Dawn onto the staircase while masking in Thermopylae onto the hallway and elevator. I also added a bit of Grunge Goddess. All done in Perfect Effects 4 by onOne Software.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.3.

1. M. A. Abanilla December 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Wow! This one's soooo rad!!!

2. Catur Agung December 27, 2012 at 10:14 pm - Reply

i want try that tool.. ^ ^

3. Chris Newham December 28, 2012 at 12:14 am - Reply

Love the grunge in this super location & pp.

4. Darren Odden December 28, 2012 at 12:27 am - Reply

This is a beautiful use of HDR!

5. christian richter December 28, 2012 at 1:23 am - Reply

nice work like the colors you used…..<

6. Luis Borges Alves December 28, 2012 at 1:43 am - Reply

excellent work

7. Timothée Pineau December 28, 2012 at 2:21 am - Reply

Very nice work on that staircase

8. Manuela Azevedo December 28, 2012 at 2:51 am - Reply

Extraordinary!

9. Scott Horvath December 28, 2012 at 3:37 am - Reply

This is a fantastic shot +Brian Matiash. So do you typically shoot in brackets wherever you go or do you carry a second camera on you already set for shots like this? I ask because I haven't done a lot of HDR, but working with only one camera, I sometimes struggle with thinking if HDR would be better at any given moment.

10. Steve Kalman December 28, 2012 at 4:01 am - Reply

+Scott Horvath I'm not  Brian, but I generally leave my camera set to bracket. I also have it set to do the 0 shot first, then + then – (default is 0 in the middle). That way, even if I don't want to do HDR, I get the proper exposure on the first click and the other two just get tossed. 3 shots is half a second, so it is no big deal to always do it. (I also find the 0-first easier to sort in Lightroom)

I have a custom function set to hi res JPEG for those times when I need to catch something moving. I posted a picture of a woodpecker in action a few days ago. Shot machine-gun style using that custom function in order to get a head shot that wasn't blurry.  Except for cases like that, I always give myself the HDR option.

11. Scott Horvath December 28, 2012 at 4:08 am - Reply

Thanks +Steve Kalman , that's interesting. Honestly, I hadn't thought about it from that perspective…always having it set to bracket and toss out those if I choose to not do HDR. I'll have to look into the custom function setting as well…thanks for that tip!

12. Carlos Causillas December 28, 2012 at 5:19 am - Reply

Brian, very nice HDR. URGENT…as travel photography moderator I sent you a message yesterday asking for help. After a few successful posts in this and other communities I am no longer able to post. When I try I get a message saying my post will not be visible because I may have violated a community rule. I have no idea as to what I have violated, please let me know if you can determine it so that I will not do it again.
    It seems like I am in a. Spam filter of some sort within communities. If you check my previous posts I think you will see I did nothing wrong, please verify.
    I like to be once again able to post in communities, can you help or direct me as to who can?
    Many thanks

13. Shawn Highfill December 28, 2012 at 5:43 am - Reply

You said things in your description of the photo I didn't know could be done. Magical words that caused doors to fly open in my head. I can apply partial effects to an image??? Whoa. What are you some kind of Houdini or something? :-)

I must break down and get a copy of this onOne you speak of. I have used the trial, but only scratched the surface. This is power straight from Merlin's magic wand.

Love the shot.

14. Willy Aona December 28, 2012 at 6:45 pm - Reply

Is this going to be an Inspiration video? Love the shot and edits. One day I hope to be this good at Perfect Effects.

15. Brian Matiash December 29, 2012 at 11:31 am - Reply

+Willy Aona It certainly can be one. I'll get something on the docket.

16. Matthieu Olivier December 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm - Reply

Very Nice one Brian.

17. Willy Aona December 29, 2012 at 8:48 pm - Reply

Thanks +Brian Matiash

18. Christopher Germano December 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm - Reply

really like the textures in this as well as the color variations from the purples to yellow/green tones.  The broom in the corner by the elevator is an added bonus.

19. Mariana Stefanova December 31, 2012 at 5:16 am - Reply