Lost Doors

By |2013-01-16T17:37:11+00:00Dec 23rd, 2012|

I had about 20 minutes to kill at work the other day before my next meeting was scheduled to begin so I went to town on this image. I try to work on an image or two before each meeting because it helps spur creative thought. And that’s the cool thing about a lot of the meetings I am a part of at onOne. They’re mostly creative-based. We’re coming up with new and exciting ways to create amazing photo software. So, to help me be on my game, I edit an image or two. And the fact that I can sit at my desk in the office, working on my images and it’s not only ok, but it’s actually encouraged is a fortune that is not lost on me.

This particular image was taken a few weeks ago in the SE industrial area of Portland – easily one of my favorite places to roam around. I’ve seen this door before but never really knew how to properly capture it… until that day. The reason why I went excessive with the blue panels was because the entire facade was the same color and I think that’s why I had so much difficulty figuring out what to do with it. So, I decided to add some blue to play off of the strong yellow strip in the foreground.

This is a combination of Havana and Kryptonite along with Cyberpunk masked onto to those wood panels. Finally, I applied a small amount of Urban Sickness to give it the greenish tone. A lot of effects applied here using Perfect Effects 4 by onOne Software.

Next, I sent the image into FocalPoint 2 to help bring focus to the center of the frame. I also applied a very heavy vignette in Lightroom 4.3 to seal the deal.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”45.51793″ lon=”-122.66458″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 852 /]

1. hano ahmed December 23, 2012 at 9:30 am - Reply

nice vision

2. Sébastien Beun December 23, 2012 at 9:35 am - Reply

Great image! Love the tones and structures, and the vignette adds a perfect dramatic feel :-)

3. Greta Kirstin December 23, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

The blue certainly makes this image come alive. Thank you for including the thought process behind the photo +Brian Matiash

4. Jennifer Kutzleb December 23, 2012 at 9:59 am - Reply

I really love this one +Brian Matiash, I want this on my wall! <3

5. Dave Krugman December 23, 2012 at 10:10 am - Reply

A great one for #doorsunday !

6. Christopher Germano December 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm - Reply

you are so fortunate to have a job that fosters creativity instead of sucking every bit of it out of you +Brian Matiash.

7. Scott King December 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash  I love this one. I don't know if it's the colors popping or what but it really caught my eye. Just curious… was the vignetting at the top something you added in post, emphasized in post, or was naturally like that?

8. Marco Ranieri December 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash, I've always been a huge fan of your work. It has been a huge source of inspiration to me. Images like this one always seem to strike some chord within. Thank you.

9. Vritti Gulati December 24, 2012 at 5:48 am - Reply

WOW

10. Doug Dillon December 24, 2012 at 9:29 am - Reply

Kind of funny…..we use HDR to gain all the details. I think that's where I've stopped many times (tweaking a few things here and there). But this is creative thinking by vignetting the top almost totally. Interesting idea!!! Help me to keep expanding my thinking and going outside the box. Thanks Brian!!!

11. Boris Manic December 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm - Reply