By | 2013-01-16T17:46:21+00:00 Dec 18th, 2012|

Those who know me know that I don’t really put much stock in numbers as it relates to social media and especially to the quality of my photos. The success of an image isn’t tied to the number of +1s and comments it garners. However, while browsing Google+ this morning, I noticed that I had surpassed one million people who have added me to their circles. And with that milestone, I simply want to say thank you!

I know far too many people who put so much stock in boosting their follower counts rather than focusing on meeting the right people. I’m a lucky guy here. Sure, you can look at it as me having a potential audience of 1+ million people. But that’s not how I look at it. The way I see it, I’ve met some of the most amazing people because of Google+. People who have become family. People who have inspired me with their jaw-dropping artistic talents. People who have gotten me to travel more than ever before. People who have helped me advance my career as a photographer. And even a person who I can spend my life with.

These are the types of people you should take stock in finding and keeping tabs on. This is the goal of a social network. I hope this message strikes a chord with my potential million-plus followers (a word that I cringe at using), or rather, friends. Instead of investing time in building a paper thin platform to stand on, focus on finding those people who will truly enrich your life. Those are the people who will make your time spent here worth it.

Cheers!

1. Dave Wilson December 18, 2012 at 9:27 am - Reply

I had absolutely no idea you had that many relatives, Brian! :-) Congratulations!

2. Nathan Langley December 18, 2012 at 9:28 am - Reply

Congratulations Brian, your success is well deserved. Keep doing what you're doing!

3. Marcel Bauer December 18, 2012 at 9:31 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash you couldn't have said it better  :)  I love seeing you work, and maybe one day (next time you come up north to Seattle area) I will meet you and get a chance to hang out and shoot.  Keep up the great work.  As a true newbie to photography it really inspires me  :)

4. dizzy blond December 18, 2012 at 9:39 am - Reply

wow! Congrats. Its refreshing to see a great photographer be so down to earth and gracious. :)

5. Chris Chabot December 18, 2012 at 9:40 am - Reply

That's fantastic and I'm so thrilled it happened with such a fantastic guy – that's a lucky million people :) congrats +Brian Matiash!

6. Chris Bagley December 18, 2012 at 9:43 am - Reply

I for one am very glad I circled you Brian! It's because of you I learned about Perfect Photo Suite, because of you I received a free copy :) , because of you I learned that you don't need PS to work with layers and its because of you I more than happily paid to upgrade to PPS7…. not to mention you fill my stream with awesomenessness! Congrats +Brian Matiash and now you and Nicole are a Million Couple.

7. Scott King December 18, 2012 at 9:44 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash DRAT! My plan of making a fake account and adding my real account to 100,000 circles isn't a good way to boost my numbers? Now I don't even know where to start :(

But seriously, people like you because you come off so genuine & sincere. Thanks for being an inspiration to us all.

8. Juan Gonzalez December 18, 2012 at 9:44 am - Reply

Congratulations my friend. You totally deserve this. Your images make me pause my stream browsing.

9. Josephine Moyer December 18, 2012 at 9:45 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash very well said <3 it thanks for sharing :D

10. Brian Matiash December 18, 2012 at 9:46 am - Reply

+Juan Gonzalez et al., Thanks so much!!! Your words are truly appreciated.

11. christian richter December 18, 2012 at 9:55 am - Reply

congrats +Brian Matiash  for over one million followers…..<

12. Ron Clifford December 18, 2012 at 10:05 am - Reply

Reading your post I actually teared up, thinking to myself,  I saw those events and even may have been in a small way, a part of the journey.  congratulations Brian!

13. Devon Bell December 18, 2012 at 10:07 am - Reply

You are incredibly talented and your images are spectacular, so it's well deserved. And, you live in OR, which makes you that much cooler (b/c I get to see shots of my home state). Congrats!

14. Bashar Al-Kuwaiti December 18, 2012 at 10:25 am - Reply

"And even a person who I can spend my life with" +Brian Matiash you met your wife on Google+?  I thought you were married before the inception of G+!!

15. Brian Matiash December 18, 2012 at 10:26 am - Reply

+Bashar Al-Kuwaiti I was… and now am again. To the right one. :)

16. Brian Matiash December 18, 2012 at 10:27 am - Reply

+Devon Bell Very kind of you. Thank you. :)

17. Rachel Houghton December 18, 2012 at 10:33 am - Reply

Congratulations on your million followers – I'm proud to be one of them! :)

18. Karen Hutton December 18, 2012 at 10:35 am - Reply

You deserve a million more +Brian Matiash!! I'm just glad I was an early adopter. You're like a really cute pound puppy that has grown up to be a regal protector of all. Kinda like Rin Tin Tin. Only cuter. You da MAN!!

And I LOVE this photo!

19. Ricardo Lagos December 18, 2012 at 10:37 am - Reply

..  now if we could figure out a way to have every follower send in a nickel. — congrats +Brian Matiash

20. PJ Ammidon December 18, 2012 at 10:38 am - Reply

Congrats +Brian Matiash !! Cheers :D

21. Joseph Fanvu December 18, 2012 at 10:55 am - Reply

Fantastic! Congratulations!

22. Dave Wilson December 18, 2012 at 11:28 am - Reply

If I didn't know better, I would say +Karen Hutton fancies you, Brian :-)

23. Courtney Morin December 18, 2012 at 11:30 am - Reply

that is so amazing !

24. Scott Wyden Kivowitz December 18, 2012 at 11:51 am - Reply

Marriage and 1 million followers gets you a Santa hat :-)

25. Sandra Parlow December 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm - Reply

congrats Brian.. you deserve it as much if not more than anyone!  You are such a wonderful addition to the community.  Always ready to lend a hand and so forthcoming with your knowledge- and you put up with my stupid questions and problems.  I love you for that! ;)
    cheers!!

26. Steve Bottoms December 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm - Reply

I tend to follow people that both inspire and drive me in my photography… You just happen to be in that short list, sir! :)

27. Buck Teller December 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm - Reply

Reminds me of the movie Prometheus.

28. Mark Watson December 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm - Reply

V nice.

29. Al Nesbit December 18, 2012 at 1:35 pm - Reply

Couldn't agree with your sentiments anymore than I already do. Congratulations!

30. marivi stephanie cifuentes guzman December 18, 2012 at 1:39 pm - Reply

es bello me encanta  .

31. S Senters December 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm - Reply

You were in the circle grab bag I added.

32. Bob Harbison December 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm - Reply

Congratulations! Well deserved and a nicely done thank you to your followers. You're a class act.

33. Mike Pistone December 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm - Reply

Nice! Congratulations, but I think +Nicole S. Young beat you by a week ;-)

34. Jamal Alias December 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm - Reply

Fabulous!

35. ganesh palani December 19, 2012 at 1:11 am - Reply

good

36. keaobaka kekgabile December 19, 2012 at 2:11 am - Reply

nice