Oh baby, it’s cold outside

By | 2012-12-06T08:14:43+00:00 Dec 4th, 2012|

The Story

We’re under way with the rainy season here in Portland. Before moving here, I was told that PDX only has two seasons: summer and rain. Thus far, those people have been proven correct. But you know what? I love it! I don’t know what it is about photographers where we’re the only sort that loves cloudy skies and inclement weather. Most people would be thrilled to have clear, blue skies and warm, agreeable weather. But not me.

The rain invigorates me. It gives me a way to add drama to a scene. At night, rain provides surfaces with a wonderfully reflective quality that instantly adds dimension and appeal.

Sure, rain isn’t convenient (unless you’re experiencing a drought), but that isn’t the point. It’s about getting out there and working with what you’re given. Not much more left to say, is there?

Pretty much all of the heavy lifting was done with Perfect B&W by +onOne Software. I used it to give me this Frank Miller-inspired high key look. I wanted to bring extra body to the falling raindrops. I was able to elongate them by dragging my shutter just a bit longer than necessary. Because I knew that I’d be intentionally clipping highlights in post, I wasn’t worried if they were blown out in the exposure.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”45.522402″ lon=”-122.671047″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 940 /]

1. shruti kapoor December 4, 2012 at 9:10 am - Reply

yup

2. Jess Van Cleef December 4, 2012 at 9:11 am - Reply

I'm only happy when it rains.

3. Chris Davies December 4, 2012 at 9:33 am - Reply

I don't mind the rain but I could live without the 30-40 mph wind.  Nice shot

4. Jeremy Cook December 4, 2012 at 9:57 am - Reply

Thanks for the Google Maps info. I'm new to PDX, so this is a big help in finding new places to explore. I'm also with you on the rain; it really hasn't bothered me so far.

5. Christian Carroll December 4, 2012 at 10:51 am - Reply

We have visited that spot near the Saturday Market many times when we come down to visit Portland.  I love that fountain!  Great pic Brian.

I moved to the Seattle area from San Diego in '98, so it was a big change in weather.  I have learned to love the rain, but the 9 months of constant gloom and drizzle we get up here is definitely taxing after a while. I think you guys get a bit more sun than we do down there.  Regardless, I still love the beauty of the northwest.

6. Brian Matiash December 4, 2012 at 10:55 am - Reply

+Christian Carroll I just made it thru my first year in Portland (moved here 11/1/11) so I'm sure the rain is still very much a novelty for me. The real test is to see what sort of song I'll be singing in a few years from now :)

If you ever find yourself down in PDX, drop a line.

7. Christian Carroll December 4, 2012 at 11:24 am - Reply

Will do Brian!

8. Christian Carroll December 4, 2012 at 11:28 am - Reply

Also, congrats on your wedding!  Amber and I just got married on 10/13.  Life is good.  :)

9. Ray Diehr December 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Yup! very nice!

10. Shawn Highfill December 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm - Reply

And sometimes the rain means cozying up with a good movie or book with your new bride. Sometimes you can leave the book or movie out. ;-)

11. Ebrahim Ashmar December 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Winter season start today

12. Ebrahim Ashmar December 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm - Reply

Hi my staff do the interview

13. Michael Riffle December 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm - Reply

Sure, you love it NOW. Let's talk in 8 months.

14. Anita Fp December 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm - Reply

I was gonna download free trial perfect effect 4 to try it out, but my system told me that I'll need open GL, upgrade video card ?? so what's the different btwn PE 4 and PE 7 ??

15. Dave Morrow December 6, 2012 at 1:34 am - Reply

this is awesome!

16. Christian Carroll December 6, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

+Anita Fp It may only be an issue of updating your video card drivers.  Ensure that you have the most recent ones.  Otherwise, you may need to upgrade your hardware as you mentioned.  See the following link for more details.  http://www.ononesoftware.com/support/1228/

17. Anita Fp December 8, 2012 at 9:47 am - Reply

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I did download the link online but still didn't work.