The Halls of Ta Prohm

By |2012-11-27T21:05:17+00:00Nov 27th, 2012|

The Story

I’ve been going back and forth between working on images from Cambodia and from my recent shoot along the Gorge. Here is a shot that became very familiar to me after shooting in my third or fourth temple. I fell in love with these long, meandering hallways that were surrounded by intricate carvings (and rubble). For this shot, tone-mapping HDR fit the bill perfectly because it allowed me to bring out shadow detail while still retaining most of the bright highlight detail. All of this contributes in much easier stylization.

Tone-mapping was done with Photomatix Pro.

Stylization was done in Perfect Effects 4 by onOne Software. I masked in Vecchio onto the actual temple structure and played off of that by applying a tiny amount of cyberpunk onto the rubble. I think it helped play off of the color contrast.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.3 RC.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”13.434767″ lon=”103.889215″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 940 /]

1. Chris Lazzery November 27, 2012 at 9:18 am - Reply

Whoa, crazy details.

2. Cynthia Pyun November 27, 2012 at 9:23 am - Reply

In love with this, +Brian Matiash and yes, that cyberpunk was a great add! but capturing the detail of that ceiling and those columns, all you :)

3. Aryn Bounds November 27, 2012 at 9:29 am - Reply

I'm not usually a fan of HDR, but this wears it so well!  It looks almost like it could be the ruins of Atlantis.

4. Brian W. Downs November 27, 2012 at 9:41 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I really like the curvature the lens bring to this image. For the confined space it's a very neat perspective.

5. Paul Waldo November 27, 2012 at 10:35 am - Reply

I just want to reach out and feel the texture. Great job, +Brian Matiash!

6. Marta Zoyo Jimenez November 27, 2012 at 10:55 am - Reply

wow really

7. Anthony Clouse November 27, 2012 at 11:35 am - Reply

Beautiful shot! Was the fish eye effect done with your lens or post work?

8. Brian Matiash November 27, 2012 at 11:50 am - Reply

+Anthony Clouse Thank you! Yup, this was taken my with Canon 15mm Fisheye lens.

9. Doug Dillon November 27, 2012 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Great shot and post production Brian, as always! I really enjoy your style!!!

10. Brian Matiash November 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm - Reply

+Doug Dillon Cheers!

11. Joe Dolister November 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm - Reply

Whoa! Stopped me in my tracks! Love this! 3D, colors textures and all! Pulls me right in!

12. Andreas Kaspar November 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm - Reply