Line dry

By | 2012-11-16T19:24:49+00:00 Nov 16th, 2012|

The Story

This was something that we saw quite often as we toured the more rural areas of Cambodia. Line drying takes on a different meaning when your clothes are draped over pretty vicious barbed wire. There’s something mildly ironic about it. This particular shot was taken as soon as we docked our ferry at Silk Island, off of the Tonlé Sap and near Phnom Penh.

We’re about 1/3 of the way through our massive layover in Incheon Int’l Airport in South Korea. Soon wel’ll be on a plane headed back to the US where I have machines dedicated to washing and drying my clothing, all without the hassle of bugs crawling around them or the threat of tearing my jeans up on a barb. But it’s images like this one that I’ll be sure to turn back to when things seem too good or when 1st World Problems creep up and I need to get grounded a bit.

I added a slight Cross Process Blue effect and painted in some Tonal Contrast onto the jeans to help them stand out. All in Perfect Effects 4 by onOne Software.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.3 RC.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”11.612788″ lon=”104.948919″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 940 /]

1. Sandra Parlow November 16, 2012 at 7:24 pm - Reply

although it seems primitive.. I used to hang my laundry on a line to dry as well, and it always smelled so good… and it wasn't using up electricity or polluting the air… ;)

Awesome shot, Brian.  I'm loving all of your stories!

2. M Teguh A Suandi November 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm - Reply

Thats happened too in Indonesia. Not primitive i think, but natural. :D

3. Brian Matiash November 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm - Reply

+M Teguh A Suandi Agreed. It's just how the locals work within their means.

Thanks much, +Sandra Parlow!

4. ไม่เอาแล้วมั้ง หรือเอ  เลอะอะไรหรือเปล่า  5555

5. Alfin dany nasution November 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm - Reply

this cloth ofside

6. Bogdan Szuta November 16, 2012 at 10:42 pm - Reply

+M Teguh A Suandi primitive condition, does not mean people are worth less. It means they happen to live in a place which is not as developed as others. In America going hiking and sleeping under the sky is called also primitive… and nothing to be ashamed of. Natural refers to a growing tree in a forest, but not a pair of Levis hanging on a very unnatural barbed wire.  :)
    +Brian Matiash great picture, as usual.

7. Martha Nabadda November 17, 2012 at 1:28 am - Reply

Good shot, though it is not uncommon to me as you seem to make it…

I hang my clothes out on a line under the bright sun… Why not do this here in Uganda where the sun comes out each and every single day of the year?

Sounds primitive?

8. Sam Fifer November 17, 2012 at 2:50 am - Reply

I think we all need to be grounded from time to time. Visiting the Philippines years ago had the same effect on me… seeing people with so little (compared to our standards), and yet so happy.

9. Boris Manic November 17, 2012 at 5:37 am - Reply

NICE!

10. Sébastien Beun November 17, 2012 at 12:20 pm - Reply

Beautiful image!

11. Rene Polanco November 17, 2012 at 4:34 pm - Reply

I grew up using this method, I know I'm only 31, but my mom kept and perhaps still keeps the tradition strong. Let nature keep you dry, I love it.

12. Rene Polanco November 17, 2012 at 4:35 pm - Reply

Our caretaker will fade your clothes…but it dries your clothes non the less

13. Kim Daniel November 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm - Reply

Love this photo! Makes me think of my childhood. Well done.

14. Lesley Unwin November 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm - Reply

i wondered where they got to lol

15. kundhan srivatsav November 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm - Reply